• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've acquired more Bacons, an original Bacon/Mantattan top and a Hopkins and Allen version bottom.

The top gun is where Thomas Bacon begins with an original design while working for Manhattan Arms, it's a 6 shot 32 caliber with the patented Manhattan extra safety notches on the cylinder. Still a work in progress I hope to finish it this year. In the middle is the same design only now made by Mr. Bacon's own company, it keeps the elegant lines, now sporting a 5 shot fluted cylinder in 32 caliber. It's missing the extra safety notches which are covered by Manhattans patent, he and Manhattan having parted company. Manhattan moves from Norwich to New Jersey and produces the more Colt like revolver you see on the left.

Alas Mr. Bacon is more of a gun designer than a business man and takes on a partner who eventually pushes him out. The new company goes on to become Hopkins and Allen, part of the Allen family group started by it's patriarch Ethan Allen. The last Bacons like the one at the bottom are stamped Hopkins and Allen and are just remnants of production, running out the existing parts before the design disappears into history. While the same shape it has lost the factory engraving and other details. baconhistory.jpg

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I've acquired more Bacons, an original Bacon/Mantattan top and a Hopkins and Allen version bottom.

The top gun is where Thomas Bacon begins with an original design while working for Manhattan Arms, it's a 6 shot 32 caliber with the patented Manhattan extra safety notches on the cylinder. Still a work in progress I hope to finish it this year. In the middle is the same design only now made by Mr. Bacon's own company, it keeps the elegant lines, now sporting a 5 shot fluted cylinder in 32 caliber. It's missing the extra safety notches which are covered by Manhattans patent, he and Manhattan having parted company. Manhattan moves from Norwich to New Jersey and produces the more Colt like revolver you see on the left.

Alas Mr. Bacon is more of a gun designer than a business man and takes on a partner who eventually pushes him out. The new company goes on to become Hopkins and Allen, part of the Allen family group started by it's patriarch Ethan Allen. The last Bacons like the one at the bottom are stamped Hopkins and Allen and are just remnants of production, running out the existing parts before the design disappears into history. While the same shape it has lost the factory engraving and other details. View attachment 175819
    What gets me is to see the craftsmanship of that time given the limited toolage they had. That Bacon family tree is very cool.
    Manhattan put out a pretty good Colt clone of its time, had me fooled for a minute, very nice :yesway:

Leadeyes Gun history class never disappoints thank you Sir :yesway:. When tickets go on sale for your museum tour, I want one.

Oh yeah, for that title.. You owe me a bacon sammy next time we cross paths..

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The Bacon design is also interesting as you remove a side plate and everything is there to watch work, or not, if you are trying to fix it. The big main spring tensions in an odd fashion and keeps everything in place, so that gets detensioned and removed before you can disassemble the revolver. I'm guessing the factory had a special tool for this. The return and hand springs have very little pressure at all. baconguts.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What gets me is to see the craftsmanship of that time given the limited toolage they had. That Bacon family tree is very cool.
    Manhattan put out a pretty good Colt clone of its time, had me fooled for a minute, very nice :yesway:

Leadeyes Gun history class never disappoints thank you Sir :yesway:. When tickets go on sale for your museum tour, I want one.

Oh yeah, for that title.. You owe me a bacon sammy next time we cross paths..
    I agree bc. The craftsmanship is amazing given the tools available at the time. Even the fact that they took the time you engrave the guns is surprising

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    ae062556002522cb088f8b01ff9c3397.png

Top Bottom