• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwrin

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Anderson, IN
    This is my first negative encounter with any business and I recently just started carrying about 5 months ago

I posted this on my Facebook..this is what happened

This will be my last time visiting bdubs in Anderson. Opened carrying in the restaurant and after sitting down for 10 mins, the manager comes over and tells me I need to take my weapon to my car. I asked him if there was a sign on the door saying no firearms allowed, and he said no...as I got up to leave, I walked up to him and told him they should think about putting a sign up so that permit holders that legally carry will know and not be subjected to harassment and the inconvenience of having to disarm...he had the nerve to tell me "it's common sense to not carry in public"...like, are you kidding me? I went on to say "are you kidding me? You realize I'm legally allowed to conceal or open carry a weapon and that it is not illegal, and you don't even have a sign saying its against your restaurant policy" he then said he wasn't going to argue with me and that I could either take it to my car or leave...so only because I was with my mom and she wanted to stay, I took it to my car. Needless to say, I got his name and the corporate number and I will be making a complaint

Then the police came..AFTER i took my gun to my car

The cop was very cool and totally on my side...the officer said that i was scaring people and thats why the manager called, he went on to tell me that even he conceals while off duty and suggested that i carry concealed as well, only because people are usually panzies about and it makes them uncomfortable, especially with the recent shooting in Colorado...but that if someone were to start shooting that he would be proud to stand up with me and return fire. He asked what I was carrying, I have a Glock 19, and told me he carried a Glock 35 that he won at a contest. He told me to make sure I carry everyday and to have a great night +1 APD

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    This is my first negative encounter with any business and I recently just started carrying about 5 months ago

I posted this on my Facebook..this is what happened

This will be my last time visiting bdubs in Anderson. Opened carrying in the restaurant and after sitting down for 10 mins, the manager comes over and tells me I need to take my weapon to my car. I asked him if there was a sign on the door saying no firearms allowed, and he said no...as I got up to leave, I walked up to him and told him they should think about putting a sign up so that permit holders that legally carry will know and not be subjected to harassment and the inconvenience of having to disarm...he had the nerve to tell me "it's common sense to not carry in public"...like, are you kidding me? I went on to say "are you kidding me? You realize I'm legally allowed to conceal or open carry a weapon and that it is not illegal, and you don't even have a sign saying its against your restaurant policy" he then said he wasn't going to argue with me and that I could either take it to my car or leave...so only because I was with my mom and she wanted to stay, I took it to my car. Needless to say, I got his name and the corporate number and I will be making a complaint

Then the police came..AFTER i took my gun to my car

The cop was very cool and totally on my side...the officer said that i was scaring people and thats why the manager called, he went on to tell me that even he conceals while off duty and suggested that i carry concealed as well, only because people are usually panzies about and it makes them uncomfortable, especially with the recent shooting in Colorado...but that if someone were to start shooting that he would be proud to stand up with me and return fire. He asked what I was carrying, I have a Glock 19, and told me he carried a Glock 35 that he won at a contest. He told me to make sure I carry everyday and to have a great night +1 APD

Yeah, sounds like he was totally on your side.

+1 for the great OC education :rolleyes:

manwithnoname

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Wow... I thought you were going to say you had a bad experience with those boney scraps they pass off as wings and over charge for even on "Wings Night"... but it's even worse!

In addition to ripping you off on wings they force you to be unarmed while they do it!

bwrin

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Anderson, IN

obviously he wasnt a fan of open carrying, i meant that he agreed with my choice to carry..the manager said that it was common sense not to bring a gun into public, not specifically open carry
    thanks for the useless reply

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

The cop gave good advice. It seems pretty clear from post after post on various gun forums, that OC causes some folks issues at private businesses. The officer is correct in his comments, and his advice wasn't a directive, but by God lets attack the officer for daring to give some advice. The OP is upset how he was treated for OCing. The cop gave advice to prevent such treatment. Seriously, do folks here believe if the OP was CCing this incident would have ever taken place?

People want "officer friendly," they claim they don't want robot police. Then when police give some advice, which in this case seems to be a complete 180 from a tounge lashing, everyone demands cops act like robots. So we want robotic personality officers when it comes to OCing/guns, but we want them to be human and interact with people like any other citizen when it comes to everything else.

The cops gave some decent advice: CC and you don't have to deal with incidents like this. OC and you will likely have to deal with incidents like this, even if they are rare. Why do folks get all hot and bothered with advice which is pretty much true?

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Eat at a place that is anti 2a, and this will be the result. Not the first thread about a bad oc experience at buffalo wild wings, and I'm sure not ther last.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Thanks for sharing the experience OP.

One thing that irks me when I read about encounters like this is that the business apparently doesn't have a policy against firearms (or if they do, it's not posted), and the manager may not care one way or another, until another customer complains.

Then the chosen way to handle it is not to make a friendly inquiry of the person with the gun ("Hi, hope everything is to your satisifaction, etc., some other customers were concerned, just makin' sure your ok, thanks for your time, sorry to bother you, please come again, that kinda stuff) , then maybe tell the complainer "It's ok, it's legal, nice regular folks there, hope you enjoy your meal, blah, blah blah", but to tell the customer with the firearm they have to leave because they're scaring the other customers.

I understand some folks getting concerned, I really do-seeing guns on regular folks just isn't that common, at least in my experience. I just think it's a crappy way for the business owners to treat people, when with a little thought and consideration, it seems like it could be handled in a much better way. And if the folks who don't like something about the other customer who isn't doing anything wrong, they can be ones who leave.

It's not as if the manager has to choose between the customers-who stays and who goes, just try to have everyone act like adults, instead automatically booting the guy with the gun

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I think you handled it well. You complied with the request and let them know that you will not be patronizing their establishment any more, and you let your mom finish her meal. Seems to me the cop did well too. He didn't dish out any grief, tried to be supportive. Nothing wrong with the cop giving his personal perspective on CC, its not like he said you have to CC. In that situation, I would feel somewhat vindicated thanks to having one more citizen on my side, even if he happened to be dressed in blue!

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would be mentioning to corporate that the d-bag manager called the police on you even though you complied with his request.

Though I'm not trying to argue with the above, I'll just point out that a place full of sheeple with cell phones means that there could have been multiple 911 MWG calls even before the manager was notified.

I would have to agree what whoever made the call(s) on a guy calmly and quietly eating a meal with his mother while causing no harm to anyone in any way definitely qualifies as a d-bag.

:twocents:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    CORPORATE POLICY AT BW'S:

images.jpg

The police of BWs has been discussed so many times I'm surprised that this is even an issue. Here is your new rule. Don't spend your money in establishments that are hostile to your gun rights. The economy is tough right now, having BW's lose customers is not going to help them. Let them starve while you dine at other, friendly establishments.

25mux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Anderson, IN
    Very well handled by all involved, but again brings up the oc/cc argument. As a fellow Anderson resident I, and my friends have had no problems here and we all cc. Again, very well handled but possibly avoided altogether if cc'ing.

bwrin

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Anderson, IN
    The cop gave good advice. It seems pretty clear from post after post on various gun forums, that OC causes some folks issues at private businesses. The officer is correct in his comments, and his advice wasn't a directive, but by God lets attack the officer for daring to give some advice. The OP is upset how he was treated for OCing. The cop gave advice to prevent such treatment. Seriously, do folks here believe if the OP was CCing this incident would have ever taken place?

People want "officer friendly," they claim they don't want robot police. Then when police give some advice, which in this case seems to be a complete 180 from a tounge lashing, everyone demands cops act like robots. So we want robotic personality officers when it comes to OCing/guns, but we want them to be human and interact with people like any other citizen when it comes to everything else.

The cops gave some decent advice: CC and you don't have to deal with incidents like this. OC and you will likely have to deal with incidents like this, even if they are rare. Why do folks get all hot and bothered with advice which is pretty much true?

like i said, the cop supported citizen carry and even encouraged me to do so, but suggested that i conceal...i welcomed his advice, as i think its nice to get and LEO opinion that supports carrying
    i like to OC, and even though this is my first bad experience, im probably going to conceal from now on
    thanks for the reply

bwrin

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Anderson, IN
    Unbelievable! If someone is gonna start shooting a place up, their not gonna be open carrying from the start!

haha thats exactly the point i make when someone asks why I OC
    Had a manger at a pawn shop ask what i was carrying and that i scared him when i walked in with it...asked him if a criminal would wear a gun in plain sight, of course he said no :D

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Really, you think that shooter in Aurora was concealing his assalt rifle and shotgun when he walked into that theatre?

In the dark, dressed in black, an action adventure movie and coming in through a side exit . . . . . . .

A really misplaced, not thought out comment.

Top Bottom