Bad news for those who shoot at Eagle Creek...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Strug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    West Indy
    I've had an issue with chipmunks at my place. I trapped 12 last summer and 15 the summer before. I can't really shoot them because I'm in a neighborhood. I have contemplated trying some shot shells out of my 9mm. Any thoughts on the shot shells?

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've had an issue with chipmunks at my place. I trapped 12 last summer and 15 the summer before. I can't really shoot them because I'm in a neighborhood. I have contemplated trying some shot shells out of my 9mm. Any thoughts on the shot shells?

The last year I counted, I stopped counting when I got into the 40s.

Havaheart, crossman 760. Ziploc freezer bags so they don't stink in the garbage.

Good luck!!!!

TontoKowalski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Indianapolis

My sister read about the most ingenious chipmunk death machine and tried it out last year. It consists of a 5 gallon bucket filled halfway with water, a gangplank of some sort leading from a wall or something raised to the rim of the bucket, and a bunch of sunflower seeds leading up the gangplank with enough in the water below to cover. The chipmunks eat their way up to the end of the gangplank, see what looks like a bucket full of sunflower seeds, and getting greedy they jump into the bucket only to find themselves in a bucket of water where they drown. Last year she killed 30 of them without even firing a shot. Just check the buckets every once in a while and remove the floaters when necessary. A dedicated pair of barbecue tongs work well for this.

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    With a little patience you could train them to pick up brass. Maybe send them out during the lunch break and after hours. Except for when a recruit class is training of course...

Strug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    West Indy
    My sister read about the most ingenious chipmunk death machine and tried it out last year. It consists of a 5 gallon bucket filled halfway with water, a gangplank of some sort leading from a wall or something raised to the rim of the bucket, and a bunch of sunflower seeds leading up the gangplank with enough in the water below to cover. The chipmunks eat their way up to the end of the gangplank, see what looks like a bucket full of sunflower seeds, and getting greedy they jump into the bucket only to find themselves in a bucket of water where they drown. Last year she killed 30 of them without even firing a shot. Just check the buckets every once in a while and remove the floaters when necessary. A dedicated pair of barbecue tongs work well for this.
    I tried this method, but after catching zilch for first three days I forgot the keep checking the bucket. One day while mowing, I drove past the bucket and found a big bloated floater. It smelled bad and really grossed me out, so I vowed to switch to a live trap. The live trap works well, but it sucks having to drive them several miles away to release them. I've considered moving to a crossbow or even a blow gun. A guy at work suggested using rat traps but warned that I will likely catch several birds along the way.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I find it odd they don't shy away from the gun fire.

I assume they were born there so they don't know any different. They would dart back under there if they saw any movement. The deer out there are the same way, we had five bucks standing 40 yards from us one afternoon and they couldn't have cared less about the gunfire.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    With a little patience you could train them to pick up brass. Maybe send them out during the lunch break and after hours. Except for when a recruit class is training of course...

Damn, this earns you INGO Thinker of the Month award! :)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I tried this method, but after catching zilch for first three days I forgot the keep checking the bucket. One day while mowing, I drove past the bucket and found a big bloated floater. It smelled bad and really grossed me out, so I vowed to switch to a live trap. The live trap works well, but it sucks having to drive them several miles away to release them. I've considered moving to a crossbow or even a blow gun. A guy at work suggested using rat traps but warned that I will likely catch several birds along the way.

I wish there were some kind of indigenous snake that you could just drop down a 'munk hole and let nature take its course

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

Dick Crum aka "Dr. Dirt" on WIBC calls this Chip & Dip. I heard him describe this method on the radio one day.

Top Bottom