• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Here in Columbus you can't come solo to a range and rent a gun now. There must be at least one other with you. One of our NE suburban ranges had a suicide in 2010 and 2011, and a foiled attempt in 2013. You could still come to the range with your own gun and do the deed, but I guess its considered less likely; if you have a gun already you can do it anywhere.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Read a story of a father that threw his baby from a bridge, so we should get rid of bridges?

i never said to get rid of indoor ranges. i said thats one reason why im glad the shop i work in dosent have one!.

i think if ithe golden state bridge was privately held, it cost a fortune to drive over it due to the amount of insurance that the owners would have to have to keep it open.

and after a few lawsuits, if you owned it, i bet you'd think really hard "do i want to be in the bridge business?"

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "Was the woman a regular at the range? Was she instructed how to use the firearm?Did she practice before allegedly turning the gun on herself. Sad situation"

Everyone who wants to use the range and equipment at Applied Ballistics has to watch a safety video and sign a waiver before being able to shoot, it does not matter if you brought your own or want to rent one. The clerk gives instruction about the proper operation of any rental that you pick from the case. There is always help available in the event of a jam or user error. They have a really good security camera system. It is a first class outfit. Sad that the woman made that choice.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Very sad that the range will now be associated with the actions of a miserable soul that took her life.

Probably the stigma will wear off eventually. If it were the range I frequent I'd probably not attach any stigma at all. It's not the range's fault she did that. It's all on her.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    One obit in today's Lafayette paper points to a possible ID. If I'm correct, her specific background in volunteer community service afforded her the opportunity for awareness of organizations whose mission is all about suicide prevention.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    One obit in today's Lafayette paper points to a possible ID. If I'm correct, her specific background in volunteer community service afforded her the opportunity for awareness of organizations whose mission is all about suicide prevention.

Then maybe she was just in the field doing research. You know - hands on.
    Accidents happen. :dunno:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Here in Columbus you can't come solo to a range and rent a gun now. There must be at least one other with you. One of our NE suburban ranges had a suicide in 2010 and 2011, and a foiled attempt in 2013. You could still come to the range with your own gun and do the deed, but I guess its considered less likely; if you have a gun already you can do it anywhere.

No exceptions? Can't even show your LTCH? If you want to try out a new pistol before purchase, you have to bring a friend with you?

What an incredibly dumb policy.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Damn It -
    This is America!
    Why not just capitalize on this.

They could have - "Suicide Saturdays" :rockwoot:

Glocks only cause they're easier to clean. Dishwasher safe.

Too early?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Applied Ballistics has always been a nice place to shoot, and I am unaware of some of the magnitude of things that have occurred in the past few years, but I will concur that this was a tragedy for all involved.

-Nate

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No exceptions? Can't even show your LTCH? If you want to try out a new pistol before purchase, you have to bring a friend with you?

What an incredibly dumb policy.

I don't shoot at the range that had the unfortunate incidents, but at the range I shoot at I'm well enough known that I might get a wink and a nod to rent solo. I haven't rented a gun in quite some time so I don't know but yeah, no solo rental is the official policy. I think its aimed at keeping ambulance chasers at bay. Also, just based on my own experience at work, when bad things happen we often have to come up with and implement changes that satisfy local, state and federal agencies and the insurance companies that such can 'never happen again'.

Top Bottom