• ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Makarov.com has ceased business.

In May 2008 the demands of the business again began to out pace the time available to one person, and since Makarov Pistols were no longer being imported, the decision was made to sell off the business Inventory and close the Retail sales portion of Makarov.com. It took several months to do this, and the E-commerce portion of the website finally closed on September 30th, 2008.
    Yup it's only good for reading now. Hopefully they keep the site up... sucks too, closed shop about a month before I bought mine.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I think you will like the S&B ammo.
    Save the brass. If you don't reload, I would be interested in buying any reloadable brass as I have the dies, conversion parts for the Dillon and a couple of hundred XTP bullets sitting on the shelf without any brass to load into. The 2 "bears" , mil surp and the wolf is not reloadable. The S&B and other commercial is.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I would love to save the brass, but nobody else cleans up their brass and I can never find mine among it! ;)

Anyone ever used the Serbian ammo...PRVI Partizan? I'd rather buy from the Serbs than the Russians...

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I think you will like the S&B ammo.
    Save the brass. If you don't reload, I would be interested in buying any reloadable brass as I have the dies, conversion parts for the Dillon and a couple of hundred XTP bullets sitting on the shelf without any brass to load into. The 2 "bears" , mil surp and the wolf is not reloadable. The S&B and other commercial is.

I was just browsing some stuff on gunbroker and found brass for sale...

9mm Makarov New Brass 1000ct : Supplies at GunBroker.com
    9mm Makarov New Brass 1000ct : Supplies at GunBroker.com

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    The Serb stuff is OK, about the same as Wolf. I would not hesatate to use it.
    True, the Serbs are more friendly to the USA than the Russians. That is one reason I like to support S&B ammo, CZ guns and other products produced by countries that were formally communist.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Where can I find the S&B ammo? Is it JHP? I have two of these little Makarovs and like both. A Belgian and a Russian. I've got the rubber grips on both right now.

I've had some trouble with the Hornaday JHP ammo. The bullet crimps were weak and allowed the bullet to get pushed back into the case on feeding. I've also had a hangfire. All the surpluss ammo I've tried has been fine. I was just wanting to try some JHP as a self defense round.

And why on earth would you want to rebarrel in lame ass .380?

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Bob at Plainfield Shooters Supply carries S&B ammo for the Mak. To my knowledge, S&B only makes FMJ ammo for this caliber. The only HP ammo I have seen is Hornaday and Silver Bear. I don't know of others. Due to the odd bullet size, there isn't a lot of selection for the Mak. HP performance will be questionalble because the max muzzle velocity is limitede to about 1000 FPS by the pistols blowback action. Without a locking system to hold the chamber closed till the bullet exits, hotter loads only serve to stress the gun and gain very little velocity. This is the same problem as on most .380's. Actually, there is very little difference in energy between a 9X18 Makarov and a 380 ACP. Both fire a bullet in the 90 gr. range and most are blowback actions. The Mak is slightly larger dia,eter (.366 vs .355 if memoryserves) and both exit at about 1000 FPS.
    The only reason for re-barreling would be to allow use of the more common .380 ammo. If you think 380 ACP is "weak ass" then don't expect much more form a Makarov. Both are weaker than the standard 38 SPL and you can't upgrade to +P.
    Bet this will start a rant somewhere but look at the ballistics charts.
    Yes, I own a Bulgi Mak and like it very much. It just isn't a power-house. I's really an equal to a P3AT or Bersa Thunder or Ruger LCP.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I stand corrected. The MAK has only a bit more energy than the .380. My data shows a significantly shorter barrel on the little .380 pocket gun. Sorry jimbo.

I did stumble across some MAK ammo for sale on Amazon.com. Weird. They have all kinds of ammo.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_?url=me%3DA2HBT1WXMFEJY5&field-keywords=ammo&x=0&y=0]GBF @ Amazon.com: ammo[/ame]

Avenger98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    I traded a norinco model213 and $100 dollars for a makarov baikal IJ-70 i paid $200 for my norinco but it s value has went up and it was in really good shape. I think i might have made a bad decision what are you thoughts did i get burned

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I traded a norinco model213 and $100 dollars for a makarov baikal IJ-70 i paid $200 for my norinco but it s value has went up and it was in really good shape. I think i might have made a bad decision what are you thoughts did i get burned

I don't think so... look on gunbrokers and you'll see makarovs going from between 150 and 500 with most hovering between 200 and 400.

Top Bottom