• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32
    At a gun show this past weekend, I saw a pistol that I was interested in, and I asked the gentleman behind the table if he'd take $400 for it. He informed me that he could not "make deals" and that I needed to speak to the boss, whom he summoned for me.

I ask him, "Are you the man that can make a deal? (He affirmed that he was) Will you take $400 CASH OUT-THE-DOOR?" He fumbled woth the price tag, and then he said he would.

Fast forward after 40 minutes in line for 4473. The man at the table says, "You're approved, that'll be $445.xx."

I explained that the boss accepted my offer of $400OTD. I suggest that he confirm it with him.

The "boss" comes over and after a brief exchange with table guy, he says,, "Oh, well, you know I have to collect slaes tax."

WTF??? I've been around the block enough times and on both sides of the table to know what OUT-THE-DOOR means!

So, I wonder if this was their plan.

Anyone else had this happen lately? A first for me in 20+ years of buying/selling firearms.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At a gun show this past weekend, I saw a pistol that I was interested in, and I asked the gentleman behind the table if he'd take $400 for it. He informed me that he could not "make deals" and that I needed to speak to the boss, whom he summoned for me.

I ask him, "Are you the man that can make a deal? (He affirmed that he was) Will you take $400 CASH OUT-THE-DOOR?" He fumbled woth the price tag, and then he said he would.

Fast forward after 40 minutes in line for 4473. The man at the table says, "You're approved, that'll be $445.xx."

I explained that the boss accepted my offer of $400OTD. I suggest that he confirm it with him.

The "boss" comes over and after a brief exchange with table guy, he says,, "Oh, well, you know I have to collect slaes tax."

WTF??? I've been around the block enough times and on both sides of the table to know what OUT-THE-DOOR means!

So, I wonder if this was their plan.

Anyone else had this happen lately? A first for me in 20+ years of buying/selling firearms.

1st thought is what sales tax table was this idiot using.

2nd thought is how far up his lower unit I would shove the gun in question.

OTD is exactly that....OTD

Please tell me you did not take it home with you.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Tax should have been 28 dollars on a 400 dollar purchase. As a actual business I have to collect tax. I can not budge off of that. But when you said 400 OTD I would have told you I have to collect tax so it will be 428 OTD.

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32
    No, I didn't take it!

Tag said $412 (+ 7%; the $445 was a rough figure).

I let him know what I thought, and I apologized that they had wasted so much of their valuable time with me. Dude was more upset with me, than I with him.

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32
    Tax should have been 28 dollars on a 400 dollar purchase. As a actual business I have to collect tax. I can not budge off of that. But when you said 400 OTD I would have told you I have to collect tax so it will be 428 OTD.

Correct, but I have an awesome APP (called a caculator) that shows me the purchase price could have been written up as $373.99, and with the 7%, come out right at the agreed upon $400 OTD

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    No, I didn't take it!

I let him know what I thought, and I apologized that they had wasted so much of their valuable time with me. Dude was more upset with me, than I with him.

So he didnt even apply your offer of 400, and then collected tax

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No, I didn't take it!

+1 to you.
    I would have offered no apology to such dealings. He thought you were hooked. I have had this in our own classifieds lately. Not taxes but agreed upon price being re-nigged on when finalizing.
    My LGS makes this deal with me on every purchase....OTD is the price I pay including taxes. If they can not do this it is an up-front negotiation on a final price.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    How where you aproved before paying for it? Per the atf you must pay for it before the background check is done. And also otd is with tax anywhere else I have ever been. Glad you told them to buzz off.

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32
    How where you aproved before paying for it? Per the atf you must pay for it before the background check is done. And also otd is with tax anywhere else I have ever been. Glad you told them to buzz off.

I have NEVER exchanged cash before approval. NEVER.

How can a dealer "sell" me something for which I have not been approved?

Please retract your statement, lest someone believe it true.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield

Source? I thought the background checks were done through the NCIC, not the ATF. I don't recall ever paying for a firearm first.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville

I believe you are mistaken. I've bought 2 pistols from GM in the past 3 months. Neither time did I pay before the app was approved.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    It is a sellers market right now, I'm surprised he agreed to a deal at all.
    He was probably mad, because he most likely could have sold the pistol for his full asking price while you both waited the 45 mins. it took to do the paper work and back ground check.

Good luck in the future, the gun market has been changing in the past few years, before long I wonder if dealers will "deal" at all.
    They are becoming like every other commodity, I expect them to be like a lot of car dealers these days with the "no haggle" price, meaning the price is the price. If you don't like it don't buy it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is a sellers market right now, I'm surprised he agreed to a deal at all.
    He was probably mad, because he most likely could have sold the pistol for his full asking price while you both waited the 45 mins. it took to do the paper work and back ground check.

Good luck in the future, the gun market has been changing in the past few years, before long I wonder if dealers will "deal" at all.
    They are becoming like every other commodity, I expect them to be like a lot of car dealers these days with the "no haggle" price, meaning the price is the price. If you don't like it don't buy it.

I get deals at 2 of the LGS I frequent. Not enough items in stock at the other 2 even to ask although I did get OTD with sticker and tax included at one of those.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I don't know where you received your information. I have the ATF Federal Firearms Reference Guide 2005 - received earlier this year from the ATF with my FFL-03 license. There is no reference to how or when the firearm must be paid for anywhere I have read (and I have read it cover to cover more than once). The NCIC must be made by a Licensed dealer and approved (or if still delayed 3 days later) prior to releasing the firearm to a buyer. That is all.

Top Bottom