Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    "How the deer got in the flannel shirts and jeans I'll never know." :joke:

(With apologies to Groucho Marx) :):
    Funny when I read it again. Getting in the shirts/pants proved less challenging than trying to operate buttons with hooves.

Deer 1: "I can't get these jeans zipped with my hoof.
    Deer 2: "Let me try my antler."
    Deer 3: "Dear God, no."

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Your right , its almost just as easy to play the wind and watch deer trails, for my situation I am taking down attractant , they are there just a little tricky because there is a lot of trails in the heavy bushes/trees/briars.HONEST AND FAIR IS MUCH BETTER AND LEGAL.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We put corn down every year, not to hunt over but to try to get an inventory of what's in the area. We stop putting corn out around September and we don't hunt the spots where we've had corn. We also put minerals out but again, we don't hunt those areas.

I don't have an ethical problem with baiting provided it is done lawfully. There is no way to do that in Indiana so I have a problem with baiting here but in states where it is allowed I'm fine with it. I'd prefer to see a good, clean kill on a deer that was standing at a bait pile than a crap shot taken and a deer walking through a neighborhood with an arrow sticking out of it's face. You want to talk about a bad rap for hunters, that'll do it.

Like with most things, we like to eat our own. "do it my way or you're ________". Follow the law, other than that hunt however makes you happy. In Indiana that means no bait.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not to get too much off track, but I've never understood the difference between a food plot (legal) and baiting (illegal). Does a food plot have to be plowed under or otherwise destroyed a certain amount of time before hunting season begins?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    We put corn down every year, not to hunt over but to try to get an inventory of what's in the area. We stop putting corn out around September and we don't hunt the spots where we've had corn. We also put minerals out but again, we don't hunt those areas.

I don't have an ethical problem with baiting provided it is done lawfully. There is no way to do that in Indiana so I have a problem with baiting here but in states where it is allowed I'm fine with it. I'd prefer to see a good, clean kill on a deer that was standing at a bait pile than a crap shot taken and a deer walking through a neighborhood with an arrow sticking out of it's face. You want to talk about a bad rap for hunters, that'll do it.

Like with most things, we like to eat our own. "do it my way or you're ________". Follow the law, other than that hunt however makes you happy. In Indiana that means no bait.

I've been invited down to GA for their black bear hunt... On a deer lease.

In that county (or maybe statewide?) it's legal to hunt deer over bait. But it isn't legal to hunt the bear over bait. But the bear know where the deer bait is - and they do their best to ravage those feeders.

So now I don't know what to do about it. LOL

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    If you have time, plant an apple tree - that is NOT considered baiting. I think it is funny that many of the same people critical of the unsportsmanlike behavior of baiting deer, consider it perfectly OK To hunt bear over bait.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Not to get too much off track, but I've never understood the difference between a food plot (legal) and baiting (illegal). Does a food plot have to be plowed under or otherwise destroyed a certain amount of time before hunting season begins?

Would you rather eat green oatmeal or a stack of jelly donuts dipped in molasses?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    You figured?
    Yup, only an Indian could do something like that.
    e7e341fe1adabba06cc202f75fdf4b61.jpg

Top Bottom