• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Gyros are for Lunch! I think when you turn the reel 90 degrees the way the line comes off the reel against the line guide has a braking effect on the speed the line is traveling at? The gyro thing of course sounds much cooler but since you are rotating the entire spool, including its axis, does it have a braking effect on the spool?

I gotz ta know!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was taught the technique third hand from a pro.
    Here is another link with no explanation as to exactly why it works:

Casting A Bait Casting Reel
    A tip from Mac who visits the forum: "The reel should be standing on end when each cast is ending. That is to say, that your arm and wrist should rotate a quarter turn so that the back of your thumb faces across your chest at the end. Seems to help in preventing backlashes, but I'll be darned if I know why."

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I think I finally got this cheap baitcaster (Pflueger Monarch) under control. I should have done want someone said on the first page - put tape on the reel. :D Also I'm using Berkley Solutions 12lb test line.

1. Last night I cute some line off. I think I had too much line on
    the reel. I still had some back lash with a 3/8 oz. plug.

2. I threw a long cast and and then pulled some more line out and then put black take on the reel.

After I put that tape on it acted like a completely new reel! I was shocked how the tape changed it.

Before I put the tape on I noticed the magnetic settings did not have any effect on the reel. I thought it was completely worthless. Now with the tape on the reel I have noticed the magnetic settings are working.

If I put the settings to "1" I will get backlashes when I cast it. When I set it to 7 or higher it do not get backlashes. When I do hold the rod up and release the plug with the settings on "1" it hits the floor and I get a nest. When I have the settings on "10" and release the spool it hits the floor and I don't get a birds nest.

I was casting really hard this evening and it seemed to work very very good. I also made some quick side arm casts and it worked good too with no nests!

Again, here's what I did - cut some line off to reduce the amount of line on the reel. Put tape on the reel (the most important thing to do). Turn my electric brakes off to "1" and adjust the tension so the plug does not backlash when I let it hit the floor during adjustment. Then turn the brakes on 8-10 and recheck to make sure there is no backlash. Then turn the tension up a little more. Then I'm set to go!

Can't wait to try it out some time this weekend!

I wonder though - if I remove even more line would I need the tape on it? Maybe these baitcasters (at least the cheap ones) don't like having their spool full of line.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I just got back from Raccoon Lake. Found a spot where I saw fish jumping! Tried my baitcaster. Ugh, more backlashes. What a headache.

I've had it for the time being with my baitcaster. I have my brothers Shimano spinning reel but I'm going to buy my new one, something gold and shiny! Put some thread on it. Then I will able to use all the lures I have in my tackle box, the light and heavy stuff. I'm taking a break from baitcasters. I'm just loosing too much time messing with backlashes.

Is there a secret to using thread on a spinner?

Knight 1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    South indianapolis
    Baitcaster

Im an old guy and took up fishing again 6 years ago, had stopped for decades. Started again with Zebco 33 but lost to many big bass. I researched and purchased a Abu Garcia stx, struggled for weeks with "bird nesting" and then went back to the Zebco, still loosing Big bass. I decided to change to a heavier weight line on the AG and not look back. I did and the line helped me suceede. Last year fishing maybe 30 times for an hr or two, I caught 15 bass weighing 5.5 -8.4 ib bass.

Stay with it, play with lines, adjust the brake and refine your cast. It takes time but you will never be happier. FISH-ON

Top Bottom