• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbwhttail

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Most deer disease is transferred by fluid contact, so if one deer eats and leaves saliva the next deer there is at risk. Bovine TB and CWD is enough of a threat that Indiana never needs to allow baiting.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    So can deer having sex.

deer feeding and rehabilitation of deer may increase the spread of the disease once present in the heard.

No... not really at all actually... not sure where you came up with the transmission of CWD during sex, but I would like to see some sort of facts to back up that statement.

CWD is passed through the saliva/blood/or oral consumption of areas infected by the fecal matter of infected deer. So therefore having a large centralized area where deer come to feed will not only increase the passing of CWD through licking of the same blocks/eating from the same spot, but also due to the fact that there would be a higher concentration of fecal matter found in that area. It is not uncommon for deer to consume small amounts of dirt to obtain minerals from the ground, and licking an infected spot can increase the risk. Also, infected deer begin passing the prions long before they actually develop the CWD...therefore they can potentially pass it to several other deer before they themselves are infected by the disease.

Aside from that, to me it is called hunting... not killing. That's like going fishing in a fish tank or pay lake...WOW big accomplishment :rolleyes: To each their own, but Indiana is one of the last "fair chase" states. If you wanna increase your chances of taking deer: lay a food plot, provide a watering source, plant trees/plants that are desirable to them... improve the habitat of the area you hunt and get the same results. While doing so you will also be providing a better habitat for other wildlife. It takes -0- skill or effort to go and setup a feeder or dump a big pile of corn/apples/acorns 20 yards from your stand the week before season starts... that doesn't even seem like fun to me, but as I said...to each their own.

-dcary7

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    So you dont think that saliva or blood can get exchanged during sex?

You're right, deer like to have alot of foreplay and make-out sessions prior to getting down to business :laugh:

Blood... POSSIBLE... but again.. .show me some facts that even list this as a relevant possibility in studies

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    You're right, deer like to have alot of foreplay and make-out sessions prior to getting down to business :laugh:

Blood... POSSIBLE... but again.. .show me some facts that even list this as a relevant possibility in studies

We are talking about feeders not troughs at a zoo.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    We are talking about feeders not troughs at a zoo.

Oh ?! My bad, I missed that there are mobile feeders about too.... that's interesting.. because last time I checked..the old antiquated feeders dropped food in the same stationary spot.... which of course would mean that I am correct again... so clearly I am missing something here... :laugh:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Baiting is not very sporting now, is it? I have a relative who owns a remote farm in Michigan. He baits deer and shoots them while sitting on his patio. I don't call that hunting. :nono:

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    With the jack people are forking over to hunt, is it any wonder why someone wants to get a deer? If a shotgunner buys a firearms tag and a bonus tag, he's out almost $50 right there. Now add in the cost of a gun, ammo, camo, etc, I expect to get a deer to. Fortunately, I don't have to buy tags anymore.
    AS I have recently foudn out you could just buy a bonus tag and only be out $24 :D

As for baiting, its not very sporting. I dont use scent blocker, and I dont use a tree stand or a blind, I roll around in the dirt and sit on a bucket and I do pretty good

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    Baiting is not very sporting now, is it? I have a relative who owns a remote farm in Michigan. He baits deer and shoots them while sitting on his patio. I don't call that hunting. :nono:

He sounds smart to me. I hunt because I like venison, that pretty much sums it up. I don't like duck--so I don't go and shoot them.

I'd rather spend the time I spend cutting shooting lanes, scouting, baiting during the off season, checking and moving trailcams with my kids instead. If I could shoot deer from my back porch when the freezer gets low I would.

And for me to shoot a buck, he has to be a wall hanger because small does taste better! :rockwoot:

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I don't know if the DNR is afraid that it would cause an excessive amount of deer to be harvested,

It said in the paper there where approx. 130000+ deer taken or projected to be taken in indiana this year breaking last years record. That is almost excessive almost, but boy do I like some back straps infact in need some more to finish perfecting my recipe. Bacon wraped strap marignated stuffed with munster a few feta cheese crumbles and crushed garlic and spinach over charcoal of coarse. Sorry got off on a tangent oh yeah baiting hunt a cut corn field its just like baiting.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    I dont understand what your asking me. Are you saying that you think hunting from a tree is the same as baiting?

If so, I disagree. In a tree, your trying to place yourself where you think that deer are going be. Baiting is trying to lure them to where your going to be. I would not hunt that way, nor call it fair chase. That said, I think you should have every right to bait deer on property that you own durring deer season.

Don't use "hunting" and sitting in the tree all morning as one in the same. It's not. Your kidding yourself if you think it is. To hunt implies that you are in action, not sitting on a perch as the world moves past you. Sit in a tree long enough and anyone can be a good hunter.....I'll even give you credit if you move from tree to tree following the game. But, I doubt 90% of tree hunters do that. They just find their spot...and sit. Is there anything wrong with that? No, certainly not..if that is how they wish to satisfy their nature. But let's not call it hunting.

Now give as you call it "fair chase" by stalking the tracks until you find what your "hunting" on foot than I'll call you a hunter.

Its a true rarity to see anyone hunt these days. Everything now is geared towards the hunting-retarded...Destroying any natural ability to find game that we once had. :noway:

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    With the jack people are forking over to hunt, is it any wonder why someone wants to get a deer? If a shotgunner buys a firearms tag and a bonus tag, he's out almost $50 right there. Now add in the cost of a gun, ammo, camo, etc, I expect to get a deer to. Fortunately, I don't have to buy tags anymore.

My buck this year cost me less than a buck and about 20 hours of time (4 hours hunting, and a little over 5 man-hours each for 3 people to process).

I know a lot of folks who spend a lot of time and energy getting a deer. All sorts of rituals with how they deal with scent and noise and the like.

I used to go through all that rigamorole, but in the last 15 years I've gone out, sat on the ground, often wearing my jeans and long shirt, basically normal stuff I wear for working around the ranch, and gotten at least one deer on opening weekend. No bait, no special scent, no trail cam, nothing.

While I enjoy hunting in the abstract, I hunt because I like venison and it's cheap meat and not yet another animal I have to feed and care for until it reaches butchering weight. I don't hunt for sport, so those folks who stand on that moral highground and look down on others who don't hunt their special way is a bunch of BS IMO.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I haven't worked terribly hard at it this year. I work til 4:30 am and don't feel like staying up. I stayed up on opening day and sat in my daughter's tree house til 8:30. I had to **** like a race horse so I got down. I just don't think we have the deer population like we used to have. I'm not seeing them out like I used to. I take my dogs for walks in my woods and I've only jumped up 2 does.

Back in the day, there were those who thought hunting anything other than hunting with a bow they hand made out of hickory and a broadhead they flint knapped themselves was unsportsmanlike. DNR tells us they want to reduce the population so what difference does it make how it's done? We'll always have the fuds demanding it be done their way or no way.

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    If you're using anything other than your hands, how can it be considered "fair"? If you use a bow, firearm, treestand, or anything else to "help" you take game, then you are at an "unfair" advantage.
    That being said I don't see why preying on a deer's natural desire to breed is legal but their need to eat isn't. Putting out a food plot is putting food out for them to eat isn't it?:twocents:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Don't use "hunting" and sitting in the tree all morning as one in the same. It's not. Your kidding yourself if you think it is. To hunt implies that you are in action, not sitting on a perch as the world moves past you. Sit in a tree long enough and anyone can be a good hunter.....I'll even give you credit if you move from tree to tree following the game. But, I doubt 90% of tree hunters do that. They just find their spot...and sit. Is there anything wrong with that? No, certainly not..if that is how they wish to satisfy their nature. But let's not call it hunting.

You're in error if you believe that peoples in antiquity just took off following game until they closed the distance to within a reasonable range for whatever weapons they were carrying at the time. I can guarantee you that they waited in ambush just as modern hunters sitting in trees do. Not to mention that they set forests and fields on fire to herd game to where it could be easily slaughtered, as well as running huge herds of bison, etc. off cliffs or into deep water.They also used passive methods such as hidden pits and snares.

As for modern treestand hunting, sitting in a tree long enough doesn't guarantee you a deer. You must "hunt" for where the deer are traveling, feeding, and bedding, and set up accordingly. If it were as simple as climbing any old tree and waiting for a deer to show up, everyone would get a deer. Climbing the tree is just the final step in the hunt.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side

Now give as you call it "fair chase" by stalking the tracks until you find what your "hunting" on foot than I'll call you a hunter.

Its a true rarity to see anyone hunt these days. Everything now is geared towards the hunting-retarded...Destroying any natural ability to find game that we once had. :noway:

Thanks Christman, I let the conditions dictate how im going to hunt that day. Sometimes im stalking standing corn, other times im in a tree or on the ground. Im always open to a new game plan if im not seeing deer. By your standards I do my real hunting before the season begins. Thats when im walking the woods and following sign. I usually spend so much time doing that, that I rarely have to put a stalk on deer durring the season. If your ethics dont prohibit you from sitting on the ground or in a tree, you should try it once. I saw 11 deer Saturday morning all while sitting on the ground in the woods. It was a beautiful morning to sit in the woods and enjoy watching nature, except for all the fog. ;)

Top Bottom