• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I got to watch one for about ten minutes very near the city in Greenwood.

I got front row seats for one fishing.

Was floating off the beach in Lake Erie swimming w the kids. I saw a large bird fly overhead low and thought "wow, he sure is low for not being a seabird. Wonder what he's up to? Then he started descending and I thought WTF? Thats not the kind of bird that floats on water! about that time out came the talons and up he went with a 12" sheephead. HE flew boack over our heads toward land and I realized it was a young eagle that hadnt developed a full white head yet. He flew into a pasture behind the beach to eat.

'Murica!

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    How could you tell it was a male? I saw the one overlooking the lake and there were at least 2 in the tree by the nest.

Sorry HamsterStyle I missed this question. I have a friend that studied at Purdue for years and was on the group that released the first pair of eagles in Indiana. She also so him the same day and said judging by the eye location and the size of it that it was a male. I just went with her information

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I'm so glad to see this again. I have finally seen an eagle in the tree by the nest a couple times in the last few weeks. It's a sight for sore eyes. Although while she's been gone, I have been able to see an osprey overlooking the lake. So that was neat.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Potentially good news for the Greenfield eagles...

Hey I know that guy! LOL!

"Liberty's" new suitor is very shy. But he has been seen helping with nest renovations over the last few days!
    I have not been able to get photos of him doing this, but some of the other Greenfield Eagle Watch photographers have at least seen this activity. The male has a spot on the top of his head seen in the second attached photo. I am not sure if it is a permanent identifier, or something that will go away!

View attachment 50706

30333146111_ca26d4c2a3_z.jpg

30419470805_a5d2198764_z.jpg

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    How far do bald eagles fly on their day to day activities? My dad was on the far east-side of Indy, around 10th or 21st streets and saw one in a field. A few people stopped to take photos. This would be about 12 or so miles almost due west of the nest.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    How far do bald eagles fly on their day to day activities? My dad was on the far east-side of Indy, around 10th or 21st streets and saw one in a field. A few people stopped to take photos. This would be about 12 or so miles almost due west of the nest.

Bald eagles are social animals, and do congregate with other eagles, however during the nesting season bald eagles will chase trespassers out of the area. When searching for food they can fly miles away. The Greenfield pair had several visitors over the late 2015-16 winter that were not chased off. I am not really sure that they have a claimed territory.

Top Bottom