• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Mine is microgroove and shoots just fine. I also was reading all the posts and debates. Seemed to be focused more on cast bullets. PM Jim Broom he might have some ideas. I load with these bullets 35 Cal .358 200 gr FTX.

Armorer59

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Greene County
    35 Rem is a very fine cartridge for what it was designed for, packs a nice punch for the package it comes in. My ONLY issue is ammo availability. It's getting a bit harder to find on shelves. If you reload for it, then that issue is pretty moot. As for Ballard vs. Micro Groove rifling, depends on what you plan on feeding through it. Micro Groove WILL shoot cast bullets IF they are fairly hard and sized correctly. Try shooting a soft cast slug and accuracy can suffer. Ballard rifling was designed for cast bullets. It allows the use of softer lead without fear of the rifling stripping lead. Even if a softer slug is a bit undersize, it will obturate and engage the rifling. 35 is a versatile cartridge allowing use of jacketed and cast loads with nice accuracy. I would have no qualms loading a gas check lead slug and heading off for the woods. Just remember that ANY lead projectile is only capable of a max of around 1600 FPS unless it is gas checked. In short, Ballard or Micro can produce good accuracy when fed correctly. Hope this helps.

antiquejd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Columbia City
    Dan, I am drawn to older guns. The one I am looking at is a '52 model 336. The fellow is promoting the desirability and accuracy of the "Ballard" rifling...

antiquejd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Columbia City
    Thanks Armorer. I am going to reload and so not too worried about ammunition. From your post, I would probably choose the Ballard because of flexibility rather than superiority....I am purchasing the gun to modify the cartridge to hunt deer. Want to be able to take one if opportunity allows but just being out will be worthwhile. Thanks.

antiquejd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Columbia City
    Thanks NKxxxx, I cant PM yet as I have not been on here long enough. I will do so after I reach the minimum. Will look you up as well when I am ready to reload.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The last of the Ballard rifled 336 marlins were made in 1954. After that they switched to microgrove and then lately the Ballard came back with the XLR and SDT/STD models. Old model Ballard rifling were cut one groove at a time. I believe that mircogoove was a time saving feature on barrels. Microgrove also changed over the years with 16/18 groove and 22 groove barrels. I highly doubt they still cut the Ballard stuff one groove at a time.

I have loaded lead bullets in Ballard and microgrove in 30-30 and 35 rem. slug the bore and go with proper size bullets as the rifles vary from year and as the machining wore over time with use. I found that I got my best groups with microgroove barrels and jacketed bullets driven to about 88 to 93 percent of max loads. Lead with both requires a mix of the lead hardness and speed or you get either leading or jumping speeds of the chronograph. It was much harder to get the lead to shoot well in either for me than jacketed bullets. I found the 200 grain core loc's and the 158 grain pistol bullets were the sweet spots for what I wanted to do with deer and groundhogs. I would not use pistol bullets on deer to explosive but on a groundhog you could shake them after a hit and feel the bones rattle.

antiquejd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Columbia City
    Thanks JM. I am leaning toward purchasing the '52. It sounds like it will accomplish what I want plus let me stay with the older model. Appreciate all the input!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The 1952 should be a waffle top (unless someone taped it for a scope) and have the bigger forearm. It should have a serial number starting with a "j". Don' t tap a waffle top for a scope.

antiquejd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Columbia City
    Thanks, I did notice the waffle top you are describing. I am not educated enough to recognize distinguishing features. Why is it wrong to tap the top for a scope? And are they then side mounts that should be used or not readily scopeable (Howard Cosell word).

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    An unmolested waffle top marlin is going to be worth much more money in the near term than having one that is drilled and tapped. Scopes were not common on guns in the 1950's but as they became more popular more people drilled and tapped the receivers for scope mounting. There are side holes on the receiver for a peep sighting system. Prices on marlin guns when they used to be well made are going up at a rapid pace.

A perch bellied forearm unmolested Waffle top with Ballard rifling in 35 rem is one sweet old gun to many marlin collectors, now it may never be worth a pre 64 Winchester value but it will be a collector for sure.

Now if that rifle is a 336 SC (sporting carbine 2/3 tube length of barrel) or a
    336 DL (deluxe ) then it is even better rifle.

Here is my 1958 microgroove (22 groove) perch belly forearm waffle top 336 SC with peep the way john marlin intended.

that one now also wears a period correct front sight hood. This item is easy to loose and lots of hunters took them off. The hood if round and correct for age is worth a good 40 dollars.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Dan, I am drawn to older guns. The one I am looking at is a '52 model 336. The fellow is promoting the desirability and accuracy of the "Ballard" rifling...

I am with you...Last year I sold a a ugly 39A..with the Ballard rifling. It was very accurate. I have never owned a 39 that was not though...One thing for sure..the quality in the 50s was top notch.

antiquejd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Columbia City
    Very nice gun. I like the sight you have on it as well. I went back and reviewed the pictures of the gun I was considering and have decided to pass on it. It has the waffle but has two holes drilled and tapped. I will just be patient and find the right one....Thanks!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The sight is a Lyman peep for the 336 and it is steel. They do still make them but they are no longer steel. I have a link on my PC to where I ordered the round peep sight front but I have a CPU fan issue and it wants to overheat. I have a Marbles dovetail blank where the factory buckhorn sight was original. That steel sight is worth about what I have in the rifle but I got a good deal on it back in the day. The round front sight hoods are easy to loose and often come off it you transport them In a soft gun case they catch the fabric and come off. I found one after a purchase in the soft case weeks after I bought it. In the 1980 and 1990 336 rifles could be purchased at the Louisville shop cheap after hunting season. Many had been hunting one or two years and stored and a closet for a couple of decades.

Like I said the microgroove to me shot better than the Ballard rifles. I could get both to shoot lead but accuracy wise the microgroove barrels was better overall. With all the newer bullets and advances in bonded bullets I see little advantage in pure cast lead slugs unless you have a large amount of lead. For factory rounds the rem core loc's have shot well in all 336 riles I have owned. A pure chunk of lead is ok but a bonded bullet seems to preform better on expansion and is easier to load to speeds that allow the expansion. They like jacketed soft points.

Some of my favorites in the 336 lineup are the texans (straight grip), the DL (deluxe ) with the raised comb stocks, and I really enjoy the SC (sporting carbines) with 2/3 mags. Nothing wrong with buying a pre molested waffle top just drilling the holes in a unmolested one. Do not pay a premium for a tapped waffle top but do not overlook a good deal because one has been molested.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom