• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosbar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Just outside Indy
    I'm looking for someplace locally (Indy), that I can buy a 3'x3' piece of ballistic material. I'm going to use it as a last resort backstop on a small portable shooting range.
    Probably won't shoot anything but 22's at it but, the stopping power of 9mm/45 cal would be nice.
    Anyone know of a place in Indy or close to it?

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Are you wanting something soft like Kevlar or hard like AR500 steel? If steel is an option look up Bobcat Steel in Shelbyville. I've even sighted in my muzzle loader using one of their targets (250 grain 45cal slug traveling around 2200fps) and they have held up very well.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    You don't need armor plate steel to block 22lr. I make steep targets for 45acp and 9mm with 3/8" mild steel and have no dents.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    So what/where is Jenkins? I might be interested in a vest.

THREAD HIJACK: I highly, highly, highly recommend not ever wearing a used soft armor police vest. Once they are past their usual 5 year lifespan, they are generally considered used up. Sure, you will find vests that still 'work' but that often depends on how it has been stored, used, cared for, etc - and with a used trade-in vest, you have no way of knowing this. Additionally, with police body armor, if it doesn't fit right (that is, measured to you), it doesn't work as well. Police Agencies are notoriously stingy about the frequency they purchase new armor, so, if a store has used vests, they are used. I understand that armor is expensive and maybe a used vest would offer a great bargain, but I just, please, I am offering this voice of caution before anyone plunks down good money for something they expect to save their life in an unexpected encounter. It really could be a case of no armor being better than old armor. Body armor is not a talisman - it actually has to be effective or you are worse off.

BACK ON TOPIC: Used police vests as a secondary backdrop is an interesting project. That might actually be a really good use for older vests that are no longer serviceable as a wearable garment. I have worked with Kevlar on some projects in the past and want to pass on this tip: you will need a different kind of scissors if you are going to do any cutting of the material. I bought a pair of these:

Kretzer TECX2 742020 72920 8 0" 20cm Aramid Composite Kevlar Shears | eBay

If you are near Greencastle, you are free to borrow mine if you'd like. Just let me know.

Top Bottom