• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

When I was younger, a "block party" was an event where families (read as a mom, a dad, and their kids) in the neighborhood would do a pitch in dinner / cookout and take an evening to catch up with each other. We often had "yard games" and such. Most often, some folks from the police department or fire department would stop by to hang out. The cops would talk to kids and let them "run the siren and turn on the lights". Firemen would let kids climb the truck and they would set up the "biggest yard sprinkler" in town for kids to cool off in.

Sounds like "culture" has "progressed" since then.

Or, perhaps, it is a different "culture".

After all, "block party" has been redefined. Why not "culture"?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

When I was younger, a "block party" was an event where families (read as a mom, a dad, and their kids) in the neighborhood would do a pitch in dinner / cookout and take an evening to catch up with each other. We often had "yard games" and such. Most often, some folks from the police department or fire department would stop by to hang out. The cops would talk to kids and let them "run the siren and turn on the lights". Firemen would let kids climb the truck and they would set up the "biggest yard sprinkler" in town for kids to cool off in.

Sounds like "culture" has "progressed" since then.

Or, perhaps, it is a different "culture".

After all, "block party" has been redefined. Why not "culture"?
    There was another "block party" last night at 32nd and Forest Manor. Same type of activities at that one. Strangely, all the witnesses took off before police arrived. Huh. Go figure.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Wonder how the Fourth Fest will go downtown this evening.
    I'm not holding my breath that it is uneventful.

It hasn't hit the news yet but BGPD prevented a shooting at the BG fireworks last night. Apparently some juvenile out-of-towner got his ass beat during the event and was in the process of chambering a round in his pistol so he could get his revenge when he was tackled by officers.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

It hasn't hit the news yet but BGPD prevented a shooting at the BG fireworks last night. Apparently some juvenile out-of-towner got his ass beat during the event and was in the process of chambering a round in his pistol so he could get his revenge when he was tackled by officers.
    WTHR said there will be 150 officers patrolling downtown tonight, so we'll see.

You know, I was just thinking... I don't recall hearing of any incidents at the Italian Festival or the now defunct Irish Festival. Wonder what the difference is? 'tis a puzzlement. :scratch:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Empty chamber will get you kilt arrested.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Considered going for a bit, then decided to pass. Just don't feel like the risk is worth the reward.

Large crowds seem to attract a lot of garbage these days
    I wouldn't be downtown if I wasn't working. And I'm assigned to the roof where they are launching the fireworks so I don't have to deal with the crowds.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

As Sgt Phil Esterhaus said back in the day,

1688509002207.png

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I wouldn't be downtown if I wasn't working. And I'm assigned to the roof where they are launching the fireworks so I don't have to deal with the crowds.

I didn't get any fireworks this year....just going to run a box of shells to the sky through my 12 gauge later tonight.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So the choices include: (a) in a crowd with violent yoots and assorted miscreants; or (b) on a rooftop with a metric ****-ton of stuff that goes BOOM!! I think b is the better choice. You get to hang out on a roof with dudes named "Boom-Boom".

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    So the choices include: (a) in a crowd with violent yoots and assorted miscreants; or (b) on a rooftop with a metric ****-ton of stuff that goes BOOM!! I think b is the better choice. You get to hang out on a roof with dudes named "Boom-Boom".
    You forgot about Lefty and Pirate Steve. Aargh.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Well and if it goes wrong you’ll never know.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Stuff that goes boom doesn't talk, so I'll take it over yoots any day of the week. Haven't heard any of the pyrotechnicians nicknames though, and they all seem to have all their limbs/digits.

Top Bottom