• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I heard a blurb about the pension guarantee program on a radio show yesterday. If they are, good luck with that. If/when the city/state pension programs meet reality, it will be interesting to see how they socialize their failures.

I suspect this will be another case of "too big to fail." The federal .gov will not want all those California public employees to be p*****-off (D) voters.

Pension amounts in California seem to be unreasonably high to the point of obscenity. I have seen several stories, anecdotal to be sure, that report CA .gov employees retiring at 100% of salary, or something close to it. That is certainly NOT the case here in Indiana, or in the military.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I suspect this will be another case of "too big to fail." The federal .gov will not want all those California public employees to be p*****-off (D) voters.

Pension amounts in California seem to be unreasonably high to the point of obscenity. I have seen several stories, anecdotal to be sure, that report CA .gov employees retiring at 100% of salary, or something close to it. That is certainly NOT the case here in Indiana, or in the military.

Right. I've seen/read/heard those anecdotes as well. I'm sure we'll get a chance to help them keep those cushy pension just like I was treated a few years ago when my employer rolled back theirs......oh wait, no---no one offered to come make up the difference their program changes created.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Dangit, that sucks. I use my BoA visa to auto pay many of my bills. Grrr. Well, principles are principles. Guess I'll be making some changes. Liberals ruin everything.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

The one good thing is California is so strongly Democrat, hopefully the Republicans won't see any upside to voting to bail them out.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    This is an attempt to match values with the Silicon Valley crowd which have some very liberal attitudes and a lot of business opportunities for lenders.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Republicans Target Citibank's Gun Policy | The Daily Caller

Citibank instead of BoA. As I said in another thread, if we were in a libertarian/conservative/free market world, this sort of thing should repulse us. But we don't and since these "too big to fail" banks have decided to attack a legal, moral, and constitutionally protected right and products, I say good. Screw 'em.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Republicans Target Citibank's Gun Policy | The Daily Caller

Citibank instead of BoA. As I said in another thread, if we were in a libertarian/conservative/free market world, this sort of thing should repulse us. But we don't and since these "too big to fail" banks have decided to attack a legal, moral, and constitutionally protected right and products, I say good. Screw 'em.

I'd love to see this go through. 700 billion is gonna leave a mark if they (Citi) lose that. And Rokita just earned another check mark in his favor as far as I'm concerned. :yesway:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I thought Bank of America cut ties with firearms a long time ago. Maybe that was just dealer transactions then, but not manufacturing.

Kinda funny. I got something like 20% off the first purchase if I took out a Bass Pro credit card, and it was something like 12 mo interest free. This was around the last time BoA made the statement about firearms. I thought well, heck, that 20% off brings the price of that Ruger 22/45 lite into reason, plus I get the satisfaction of the anti-gun BoA financing my firearms purchase interest free. So instead of going somewhere else and paying cash, I bought it there and took out the card. Should have milked it and paid the minimum balance to keep their money longer.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    So I've had a BoA Bass Pro Shops reward card for about 7 years now. At least 3 times on INGO (prior to this) I've heard about BoA being Anti-gun, and it never panned out.
    This time however, I saw the video Vice Chari Anne Finucane gave to Bloomberg.com

So tonight I called to find out what the skinny is after having a neighbor dog run off with one of my boots (drying in the sun after working in the crawlspace one day) and needing a new pair...

OK, So after 30 minutes on hold for customer service, I finally got a hold of 'Christopher in Nevada'. All of the following is according to our brief conversation.

He put me on hold for a 'brief pause' at 10:03pm while he looked up the official information. I expected another half hour wait, or worse no re-connection at all. Surprisingly he came back on the phone at 10:06pm:

FYI, Nevada is a Shall Issue State (He was aware and immediately piped up and said 'Oh yeah, Open Carry!'). He's also a Vet (I did not ask what branch).

Military Style Firearms are defined as:
    Military style (or grade? My note taking is horrendous) firearms only offered to civilians including Semiautomatic Pistols, Semi Auto Rifles and Semi Auto Shotguns.

He did not comment as to why the vice chair gave the interview while the ceo did not.

I asked that an email be put out to all cardholders, and shareholders, vs finding out via Bloomberg.

He did mention that officially, they are allowed to state that BoA may be severing ties with resellers such as Bass Pro. He mentioned that Bass Pro may get involved with another cardholder, but it would be unknown how points would or even could be transferred.

He did apologize for being the messenger, and I thanked him for being candid and open, and acknowledged his miniscule part in it all.

Suffice to say, I have enough time to buy replacement boots. But I am card shopping.

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I (indirectly) derive a large portion of my income from Bank of America, and I have clipped a lavalier mic on Anne Finucane many times. As much as I disagree with their stance, this policy won't hurt them at all. The numbers they deal with are truly astronomical. As has been mentioned, this is designed purely for the optics... the dollar amounts are inconsequential to a company of their size. You can expect to see something like this from BoA, with "scary black guns" replacing "coal." https://about.bankofamerica.com/assets/pdf/COAL_POLICY.pdf

The ONLY way they would even feel this at all is if every single freedom loving citizen in the USA severed all ties with the bank... mortgages, deposits, credit cards, small business, corporate, investment, etc etc. And we all know that won't happen. I doubt we'll even get 10% of gun owners. It's sad, but that's my view from the inside looking out.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

As an experiment, I think for every company which takes a political stand on controversial topics, people should decide who to do business with, not based on price or quality or availability/convenience. They should decide based on the political stands the company takes. Let's just play that out and see if society is so much better off.

I think that would basically just really **** things up worse than now. Imagine a world which decides patronage based on whether the baker serves gays. Or the banker finances companies which makes certain guns for civilian use. Or patronizing more or less proportional to the pronouns a business recognizes. Or whether the business stands for democrats. Or republicans. Or whether or not the business has properly disavowed whatever the latest thing they're supposed to disavow before being allowed to exist.

If businesses want to play that game. Okay. Fine. I will too.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    He did mention that officially, they are allowed to state that BoA may be severing ties with resellers such as Bass Pro. He mentioned that Bass Pro may get involved with another cardholder, but it would be unknown how points would or even could be transferred.

Cabela's switched companies for their Club Visa and it was seamless. Someone new answers the phone now (and called me when my card was used for stuff I didn't authorize) but my Cabela's club points were untouched and available for use.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Yeah... I'm mixed. I'm under no illusion that I am going to close BoA Down?

Doesn't mean I am willing to put up with their ****. It's my money afterall. Win, lose or draw. I won't condone it.

Top Bottom