• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was shown one at the CERT class by an IGR guy. Just checked them out and had absolutely NO idea they were as cheap as they are. I was expecting hundreds, not $40-60. I might have to pick one or two up. (and eventually get licensed)

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I was shown one at the CERT class by an IGR guy. Just checked them out and had absolutely NO idea they were as cheap as they are. I was expecting hundreds, not $40-60. I might have to pick one or two up. (and eventually get licensed)

I think I paid under $35 each for both of mine shipped. They are the 5 watt models. I've picked up a couple high capacity batteries for under $20 and a couple longer antennas for only $5. There's a test site in Mooresville that hosts an exam day every couple months. Online I found a free pdf that basically runs through all the questions possible on the test and an app for my Iphone that lets you take practice tests. I took a day or so while at work to read the pdf and an evening taking about 15 practice tests before I felt I was ready to take my test. Actual test went pretty easy, I think I missed 4 of the 35 questions.

Good Luck, Matt

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The one I got was the 8W one which is more money, but you can get the 5W ones on ebay for 30-35 I think, and a bit of a deal if you get them in batches. There are ones with different colored cases, black, camo, red, blue etc. and rubber boots. Batteries, speaker mic, car charger, all kinds of stuff. A few of these would actually be a good item for a Faraday cage; they could give your group a tactical edge if that became an issue.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    The Baefengs have been on my radar for a while especially at the price points. I'm looking for replacement to some old Moto-talk-abouts.

Basically me and my sons in the woods and around the ranch, but with all the extra freqs and features they are very appealing. It seems some traditional HAM guys dog them though...

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I like my Baofeng UV-82 better than my UV-5R. The sound quality on the UV-82 is better and the buttons are bigger.

I was on the radio one time and some guy told me I sounded like I was on a Baofeng. I told him I was on a Yaesu mobile radio but give me a minute and I'd switch to my Baofeng. I did so and then he says "There you go! That sounds much better!".

Some of the HAM guys do dog the Baofengs but in my estimation, this inexpensive radio is bringing a lot more people into the hobby. Some people don't like that, I guess.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I like my Baofeng UV-82 better than my UV-5R. The sound quality on the UV-82 is better and the buttons are bigger.

I was on the radio one time and some guy told me I sounded like I was on a Baofeng. I told him I was on a Yaesu mobile radio but give me a minute and I'd switch to my Baofeng. I did so and then he says "There you go! That sounds much better!".

Some of the HAM guys do dog the Baofengs but in my estimation, this inexpensive radio is bringing a lot more people into the hobby. Some people don't like that, I guess.

Im sure some of it is sour grapes. They likely paid hundreds if not thousands for their rigs. Now Anyone can buy one just as good if not better for a fraction of what they paid so its not fair. If not sour grapes, likely a case of "if its that cheap it cant be any good".

I always seem to find people that had to pay for something that are against making whatever they paid for free or cheaper. If they had to pay, everybody should. Class3/suppressors included. I've heard a few take the attitude of "I had to pay for all my stamps, these new guys should too".

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Um, no, you can't "broadcast", which is a continuous one-way transmission with no breaks, unless you own or work for a licensed broadcaster on a frequency allocated for the purpose. WA8VZY is an example. He owned an FM broadcast station (may still, I haven't kept up) so he could broadcast on that, but his amateur equipment had to follow the amateur rules. If you just plant yourself on some frequency somewhere and start playing music or whatever, that's a pirate station and subject to raids, fines, prison etc. Even if you're squatting on an unused FM channel, they'll come take all your radio stuff, even amateur.

If you own or work for a shop that does the programming, you can likewise sell the service through the shop, but you can't just demand payment for something you're doing as a hobby with a license, which is to say you have no business set up for it.

Ok, aside from the semantics of "broadcasting" vs "transmitting", what are you trying to say? Are you saying that I, as a licensed amateur, cannot offer to program someone's radio for money? If so, please cite the correct regulation for me. If you are saying that I cannot offer my services "on the air" on ham frequencies and modes, I will agree with you. But either way I am aware of no regulation that says I must own or work at a business to do so.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Ok, aside from the semantics of "broadcasting" vs "transmitting", what are you trying to say? Are you saying that I, as a licensed amateur, cannot offer to program someone's radio for money? If so, please cite the correct regulation for me. If you are saying that I cannot offer my services "on the air" on ham frequencies and modes, I will agree with you. But either way I am aware of no regulation that says I must own or work at a business to do so.

You can't legally charge for the use of your radio station. You can charge all you want for services like you describe. I fix broken radios and get paid, I sell parts and get paid, I have been compensated for helping teach amateur radio....but I can not charge the City of Lawrence for providing amateur radio communications during their marathon event, I can not charge someone for being the Net Control Operator.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    You can't legally charge for the use of your radio station. You can charge all you want for services like you describe. I fix broken radios and get paid, I sell parts and get paid, I have been compensated for helping teach amateur radio....but I can not charge the City of Lawrence for providing amateur radio communications during their marathon event, I can not charge someone for being the Net Control Operator.
    Totally agree. However the earlier statement (by Spear Dane?) that we cannot make money off the hobby is misleading.

Top Bottom