• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Thanks for the intel sir. Im gonna see if i can program at least my local pd and fire tonight

In addition to Repeater Book and Radio Reference you can go to the FCC site and type in a state, city or zip code and find out all kinds of frequencies. Ones that are assigned to public services, businesses, etc. There are several ways to search. Find the licensee section and type in your city and see what it comes up with. Toward the bottom it's best to adjust the number of results per page. Crank it up to 100 and change the sort by menu to NAME so they're easier to find.

License Search - Advanced License Search

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Sounds good. Maybe over the weekend if your not busy? It won't be a problem if i am able to load some frequencies tonight, will it?

This

Looks like he might be offline. It won't hurt anything if you want to manually load some up tonight. When a Chirp file is loaded it will delete everything in the radio and use the settings in the file. When using Chirp you can assign a name to the memory so it's easier to remember what it is. That can't be done manually. It took me a while to find this out the first time I programed one by hand. Thought I kept missing something.

Thanks for the intel sir. Im gonna see if i can program at least my local pd and fire tonight
    NWI is on the new SAFT-1 system which I believe is 800 megahertz. There is two city’s that are not and I think they are St. John and Cedar Lake. You can get Portage 155.550 and Porter County 155.940

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    This

NWI is on the new SAFT-1 system which I believe is 800 megahertz. There is two city’s that are not and I think they are St. John and Cedar Lake. You can get Portage 155.550 and Porter County 155.940

Ok this is like speaking greek to me. Will i be able to program Hobart, Lake Station, lake and porter counties pd/fire/ems channels?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Damn. Thats pretty much the whole reason why i got this radio. I was hoping for individual channels v/s listening to dispatch for all of Lake County
    The only way that I’m aware of is spending about $500 on a scanner that can do that.

These are the old frequencies.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Damn. Thats pretty much the whole reason why i got this radio. I was hoping for individual channels v/s listening to dispatch for all of Lake County

As time marches on, many munis are switching to encrypted trunked systems which are better. Just suffice it to say, when that happens, no radio except one of theirs will hear their traffic. Its probably only a matter of time before those smaller depts upgrade too.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    As time marches on, many munis are switching to encrypted trunked systems which are better. Just suffice it to say, when that happens, no radio except one of theirs will hear their traffic. Its probably only a matter of time before those smaller depts upgrade too.

The county next to mine in Ohio used to be on standard VHF. They would give out personal information, including SSN for ID, all the time. I heard several every night during traffic stops. They went to a trunked system that's supposed to be encrypted, but it isn't. They can't figure it out so they just leave it alone.

I do not like encrypted trunked systems.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The county next to mine in Ohio used to be on standard VHF. They would give out personal information, including SSN for ID, all the time. I heard several every night during traffic stops. They went to a trunked system that's supposed to be encrypted, but it isn't. They can't figure it out so they just leave it alone.

I do not like encrypted trunked systems.

Trunked is fine, but not encrypted. The hardware required to listen isnt trivial, and neither is the understanding on how to use it. It shouldnt be totally secure for daily traffic because that gives the opportunity for some transparency.

They can send the sensitive stuff through the car terminals so they dont NEED encryption.

T

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Trunked is fine, but not encrypted. The hardware required to listen isnt trivial, and neither is the understanding on how to use it. It shouldnt be totally secure for daily traffic because that gives the opportunity for some transparency.

They can send the sensitive stuff through the car terminals so they dont NEED encryption.

T

Agree. Encrypted public communications are like law enforcement only mags.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Anyone offer up a frequency for me to try out. Only one im getting any input from is Noaa. Looking for anything thats on continuous just to test my programming capabilities

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

T

you are a pesant and have NO RIGHT to listen to the kings jbt amd what they are doing. thus why all of the kings jbt are moving to encrypted comms. (my purple is broken)

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Check out the FCC link I put up a few posts ago. Type in your city, sort by name and expand to 100 per page. You will find every frequency the FCC has authorized in the county including businesses. Click on the business and there should be a frequency tab that will list what they operate on, how many units they have and the power of those units. You should be able to pick up anything that's VHF/UHF.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Do they still let us listen to the astronauts?
    Last time I heard them it was Skylab. I guess it's been a while. :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Anyone offer up a frequency for me to try out. Only one im getting any input from is Noaa. Looking for anything thats on continuous just to test my programming capabilities

BE VERY careful with those frequencies, and make sure in chirp you set the duplex to "off" so you cant accidentally transmit on those frequencies.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    In addition to Repeater Book and Radio Reference you can go to the FCC site and type in a state, city or zip code and find out all kinds of frequencies. Ones that are assigned to public services, businesses, etc. There are several ways to search. Find the licensee section and type in your city and see what it comes up with. Toward the bottom it's best to adjust the number of results per page. Crank it up to 100 and change the sort by menu to NAME so they're easier to find.

Check out the FCC link I put up a few posts ago. Type in your city, sort by name and expand to 100 per page. You will find every frequency the FCC has authorized in the county including businesses. Click on the business and there should be a frequency tab that will list what they operate on, how many units they have and the power of those units. You should be able to pick up anything that's VHF/UHF.
    WOW! A lot of great info on local frequencies. Thanks

Also can someone explain the same frequencies in two different lines.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    They keep track of the radios as well. Look to the right on those same frequencies. There is one radio that runs at 100 watts (base unit probably) and 20 units at 40 watts, probably mobile. You can also click on the location and it will show the footprint of the transmission.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

They keep track of the radios as well. Look to the right on those same frequencies. There is one radio that runs at 100 watts (base unit probably) and 20 units at 40 watts, probably mobile. You can also click on the location and it will show the footprint of the transmission.
    That make sense, thanks. I have a lot of work to do now.

Top Bottom