Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I know Im beating it:popcorn:

Bar carry is completely legal correct?

Before you jump on me, this is why I ask

A fellow coworker attended bartending school and training and whatnot, used to work at a bar. He states that the only way you can walk into a bar carrying, is if you turn your weapon over to the bartender.:dunno:

Now I am not creating this thread to bash him or insult a person, but I just wanted to clear this up

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I've been in a bar drinking while OCing. So....:dunno:

EDIT: Pretty sure you can be as plastered as you are able and it's A Okay too ( NO CUI - Carring While Intoxicated laws to worry about), but it would be foolish to drink much due to liability IF something went wrong. Like a guy runs in to rob the place. Also - Had 2 beers while eating there, I don't make a habit of going to bars anyways, Belgian ale is way to expensive in a bar.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yes, it's legal. No, there is not a chance in hell I'm handing my firearm over to anyone other than a LEO who is ordering me to do so under color of law.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Your co-worker is an idiot.

My family owns a bar, there are no laws restricting handgun carrying in bars.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    legal yes.

and i see nothing wrong with going to a bar and carrying. some people argue that it is "irresponsible" since you are going to be drinking.

some say guns+alcohol= dont mix. but i think its more irresponsible to not be able to control your alcohol and carry at the same time. if there is something(say a temperment maybe) that would make it an bad idea for you to drink and carry then there is something that would make it bad to carry in general.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Its legal to carry in a bar and its not illegal to carry while drinking (Indiana is silent on this). Is it a good idea, well that's personal preference.

now that being said I know where this thread is headed so.......:popcorn:

ETA: most bartenders drink while they are working (privately owned bars, not franchise or corporate owned) so what would make them think they are anymore responsible to handle my gun than I am.......just a thought

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    :+1:
    legal yes.

and i see nothing wrong with going to a bar and carrying. some people argue that it is "irresponsible" since you are going to be drinking.

some say guns+alcohol= dont mix. but i think its more irresponsible to not be able to control your alcohol and carry at the same time. if there is something(say a temperment maybe) that would make it an bad idea for you to drink and carry then there is something that would make it bad to carry in general.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Ok, I can see where one might think its illegal... lots of people make assumptions about bars, banks, etc.

BUT WHO THE HELL WOULD THINK THE LAW WOULD REQUIRE YOU HAND OVER A WEAPON TO SOMEONE WITH ZERO AUTHORITY OF ANY KIND????

I was unaware that bartending school taught firearms handling.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Ok, I can see where one might think its illegal... lots of people make assumptions about bars, banks, etc.

BUT WHO THE HELL WOULD THINK THE LAW WOULD REQUIRE YOU HAND OVER A WEAPON TO SOMEONE WITH ZERO AUTHORITY OF ANY KIND????

I was unaware that bartending school taught firearms handling.

I was unaware that you had to go to bartending school?
    Now that I think about I wonder if the OP's friend lives in Indiana

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    As its been answered already, you can legally carry in a bar. However, a bar tender or owner may have policy that says otherwise. That would mean the usual trespassing if they ask you to leave and you dont.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have carried and drank for forty years, never a problem. You only need a bartending license in Indiana to bartend. Last one I got ten or twelve years ago, I believe, was like twenty bucks for four years.

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    great to know. i used to think that i couldnt carry at a business that made over 51% or more of its money by selling alcohol (by the glass) like bars... nice to learn new info

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I have carried and drank for forty years, never a problem. You only need a bartending license in Indiana to bartend. Last one I got ten or twelve years ago, I believe, was like twenty bucks for four years.

Not correct. You simply need a liquor license and im not sure what it cost these days.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Not correct. You simply need a liquor license and im not sure what it cost these days.

They might be calling it a liquor license now a days. To me the liquor license is for the owner. You get a bartending license from Indy. You use to be able to get it in one in a hour or so if you drove down to Indy, if you mailed it in, it could take a few weeks.

Done it a couple times in the past.

Indiana Bartender Certification for serving alcohol in Indiana

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    They might be calling it a liquor license now a days. To me the liquor license is for the owner. You get a bartending license from Indy. You use to be able to get it in one in a hour or so if you drove down to Indy, if you mailed it in, it could take a few weeks.

Done it a couple times in the past.

Indiana Bartender Certification for serving alcohol in Indiana

same concept but now anyone that serves or sales alcohol has to have it, bartenders, servers, liquor store clerks etc etc

The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    In Indiana carry in a bar is Legal but NOT in Michigan
    :horse:

In Michigan, you cannot CONCEAL carry in a bar, but you are required to have a CPL or equivalent. See: MSP - Pistol Free Areas

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Pistol Free Areas[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Individuals licensed to carry a concealed pistol by Michigan or another state are prohibited from carrying a concealed pistol on the following premises: [/FONT]

4. A tavern where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the premises
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom