Barack Obama is heading for a humiliating defeat over Syria: this will be a mass

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So what would happen if the congress votes "no", and then Obama decides to attack anyway? What would happen if the Pentagon said "Sorry, the people said no, we aren't going there"? Can that happen, what are the odds it would?

Barry can still attack even if congress says "no", Pentagon has nothing to do with it, they follow orders. But Barry won't without approval of Congress, he is looking for a way out and if Congress says "no" he will blame them....he blames everyone for everything cause he never had a father at home to beat his spoiled az.

To expand on this.
    Only congress has the power/authoirty to declare war on another country/government.
    Should congress say no, the president now has more limited options. Like prior presidents before him he can still order the military to attack for up to 90 days under his authority. Not sure what it's called but other presidents have done this before.

if congress does not like this they always have the legal option to start an impeachment process to remove a sitting president.
    That I know of this has never occured in our history (impeachment due to president going to war without congrees's approval)

As for your question of the pentagon saying no.
    The pentagon (ie. armed forces) just follow orders. If the pentagon were to say no (which again it has never done so in our history that I know of) then we have much bigger issues than Syria. We have something close to a miliatry coup on our hand. You have more of a chance of winning POWER BALL then seeing that occur.

What DragonGunner said is correct. By the president going to congress he has pertyy much but the ball in their court and politically they can take the blame. Granted with the world not wanting to get involved in the matter their might not be much blame to get for not doing anything.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    To expand on this.
    Only congress has the power/authoirty to declare war on another country/government.
    Should congress say no, the president now has more limited options. Like prior presidents before him he can still order the military to attack for up to 90 days under his authority. Not sure what it's called but other presidents have done this before.

if congress does not like this they always have the legal option to start an impeachment process to remove a sitting president.
    That I know of this has never occured in our history (impeachment due to president going to war without congrees's approval)

As for your question of the pentagon saying no.
    The pentagon (ie. armed forces) just follow orders. If the pentagon were to say no (which again it has never done so in our history that I know of) then we have much bigger issues than Syria. We have something close to a miliatry coup on our hand. You have more of a chance of winning POWER BALL then seeing that occur.

What DragonGunner said is correct. By the president going to congress he has pertyy much but the ball in their court and politically they can take the blame. Granted with the world not wanting to get involved in the matter their might not be much blame to get for not doing anything.

Literally seconds ago, speaking at G20, he said he would not rule out acting if Congress said no.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    And if Congress would vote yes he will be able to say he was able to work across party lines for a proper resolution
    & that is fine. I can NOT fault him for this one. He is doing his job per the letter of the law. He is going to congress like every president should to ask for permission to go to war. It's NOT the president's job to make that decision (no sole person in out country should be allowed to). Why do you think our founding father's did it that way? :whistle:

Literally seconds ago, speaking at G20, he said he would not rule out acting if Congress said no.

sigh... I hope he does not.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011

I see you fail to mention also at the G20, they voted AGAINST action on Syria. Correct me if im wrong but wouldnt us attacking Syria make us war criminals now? Not sure of the punishment if the UN or the G20 vote against something and a country goes against those wishes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Also ... I wish people didnt so blindly follow their party and accuse the other of being the bad guy(s). So what if congress votes no on the war? So what if Obama tries to pin it on them? THE PEOPLE DONT WANT THIS WAR. How would that make Obama look better?

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    & that is fine. I can NOT fault him for this one. He is doing his job per the letter of the law. He is going to congress like every president should to ask for permission to go to war. It's NOT the president's job to make that decision (no sole person in out country should be allowed to). Why do you think our founding father's did it that way? :whistle:

sigh... I hope he does not.

He is only authorized to authorize military action if there is a direct threat to the US, which there is not. There was in Benghazi, but he did nothing. Bass-ackwards, don't you think?

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    syrai_allies.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Even if the People wanted this war, it wouldn't make it right.

Hum... war is never about right or wrong. It's always about power/control/wealth.
    We did not go into Iraq to make it right. We went to Iraq for oil. We won't say it publicly but that is the resource we went in for.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    This guy is never gonna take responsibility for anything. The Syrians, or the rebels, used gas to kill a bunch of people and the whole administration is up in arms wanting to attack. Our Ambassador and three other Americans are killed in Benghazi and nobody batts an eye, what the hell? To date nothing has been done. Am I the only one who thinks this is insane? I hope not.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Uhhhh, that wasn't my red line, I didn't draw that. If you've got a red line, you didn't draw that. Somebody else made that happen.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    really? Where is it at?

Look at the oil industries. Don't miss read that the USA went to Iraq for oil for you and me (ie. the people). The .gov is not here for the people.
    Do read that we went into Iraq for OIL otherwise China and Russia will be using/getting it.
    Climb up to the higher altitudes to see the overall image.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Do read that we went into Iraq for OIL otherwise China and Russia will be using/getting it.

Really...:n00b:

Oil reserves in Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Russia doesn't need Iraqi oil.:dunno: China maybe but certainly not Russia.

I wonder if when "Britannia ruled the waves " the English people ever sat around and lamented the fact their government was just possibly looking out for the strategic welfare of their nation. Maybe they weren't as fat and happy with too much time on their hands as we do/are...

Not sayin', just sayin'.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    Nope, but I'm sure we'll see another few dozen threads about how it is the Death Knell for Obama's Presidency. :laugh:

As much as I had been hoping America would see the light I do not think ANYTHING could take his presidency down because of how sick of a society we have become.

I love America. Always have, but any nation sick enough to elect that ( I don't know what to call him that will not offend someone or myself. ) twice gets what it deserves. The problem is the moochers to elected looters to steal from producers are not the only ones that will be effected.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Given the recent swings in mindsets by the higher ups, I would not be surprised to see Congress support some sort of military response; who knows what backroom deals are being planned ("Guys--we'll launch a handful of Tomahawks, no combat units; no one on our side gets hurt. In return, I'll back off on gun control, healthcare and, what? What else would make it worth your while to support this?").

President Bush blamed his choices and position upon bad intel. Maybe we could see the same scapegoat again if things go south?

Sometimes it stinks being a pessimist about such things.

Top Bottom