• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Anyone seen that thing being used? Is it used by any city in Indiana?

It's a new thing apparently, meant to replace parking wheel clamps.

barnacle-parking-enforcement-1.jpg

It's held in place by two large suction cups.You need to call a number and pay to get a code to unlock it.

There are several models apparently (or maybe the pic above is an older model)
    One says it can be tracked by GPS to find you if you drive away ...
    Is it even legal??? (4th amendment anyone?)
    I imagined it would be illegal to track your car without a warrant. :dunno:
    Maybe it's just bluff to prevent you from driving away and destroying that thing in your garage.

img_1208.jpg

[video=youtube;bJRmFlcaggU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJRmFlcaggU[/video]

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, easily defeated just like a boot.

Boot: sawz-all, or really long extension with a socket of the right size (depending on boot design)
    This thing: long metal ruler to slide up under edge of suction cup, small hooked knife to cut the flexible tube that passes through the hinge-point, or a drill bit from the back side... it's not that hard to relieve the suction on a glorified suction cup like that.

ETA, FWIW the only experience I've had with a boot was on an overseas military base. We had the necessary tools to remove the boot, the reason we were booted was bogus. We called the MP's, gave them a piece of our mind, told them they had 10 minutes to get the boot off or they could pick up the pieces of boot where they left it... they came quite promptly and removed the boot without a word.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Boot: sawz-all, or really long extension with a socket of the right size (depending on boot design)
    This thing: long metal ruler to slide up under edge of suction cup, small hooked knife to cut the flexible tube that passes through the hinge-point, or a drill bit from the back side... it's not that hard to relieve the suction on a glorified suction cup like that.

I like the sticker they have on it that says they assume no liability if they dammage your car with their device, but they will sue you if you dammage their device.Not sure they can have it both ways. :rolleyes:

I wonder how many people will sue the local city for their cracked windshield if they try to remove it.

Here's a view from the inside of the car when you can see the flexible you mention, I haven't thought of that option.

img_5431.png

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010

ETA, FWIW the only experience I've had with a boot was on an overseas military base. We had the necessary tools to remove the boot, the reason we were booted was bogus. We called the MP's, gave them a piece of our mind, told them they had 10 minutes to get the boot off or they could pick up the pieces of boot where they left it... they came quite promptly and removed the boot without a word.

You could do all that...or just don't park illegally and pay the ticket if you do get one.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I like the sticker they have on it that says they assume no liability if they dammage your car with their device, but they will sue you if you dammage their device.Not sure they can have it both ways. :rolleyes:

I wonder how many people will sue the local city for their cracked windshield if they try to remove it.

Here's a view from the inside of the car when you can see the flexible you mention, I haven't thought of that option.

img_5431.png
    Those 2 clear tube at the top hinge-point... cut them and no more vacuum...

Bunch of BS that they can damage your car but you can't damage their device...
    You could do all that...or just don't park illegally and pay the ticket if you do get one.
    What if you didn't park illegally but still found such a device on your car and the authorities refused to remove it until you paid up?

There is a BIG difference in due-process when comparing a parking ticket vs a device like this. With a parking ticket you still go about your daily life until your day in court where you get to argue your case. With such a device like this you are prevented from going about your daily life UNTIL you pay the fine.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That's an interesting device. I have never seen one before. I have ran in to the "Boot" while in Chicago. We parked in a handicap zone and came out to find one on our rental car. Normally this would be an ok thing except we had my MIL who was a double amputee with us and the handicap tag hanging on the mirror. That was miserable. It took about an hour before someone came out to remove it. We didn't get much of an apology either. :xmad:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Those 2 clear tube at the top hinge-point... cut them and no more vacuum...

Bunch of BS that they can damage your car but you can't damage their device...

What if you didn't park illegally but still found such a device on your car and the authorities refused to remove it until you paid up?

There is a BIG difference in due-process when comparing a parking ticket vs a device like this. With a parking ticket you still go about your daily life until your day in court where you get to argue your case. With such a device like this you are prevented from going about your daily life UNTIL you pay the fine.

I can see situations where you would need to use your car right away and don't have time to deal with that BS.
    What if you don't even have a cellphone or a credit card to get this thing off right away? :dunno:

I know "clamping" is a big criminal business in the UK.Private companies put a wheel a clamp on your car and ask you to pay cash to remove it.Often done illegally.

I'm sure it will be the same in the US.Those devices will mostly be used by private companies, not cities or police departments.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's an interesting device. I have never seen one before. I have ran in to the "Boot" while in Chicago. We parked in a handicap zone and came out to find one on our rental car. Normally this would be an ok thing except we had my MIL who was a double amputee with us and the handicap tag hanging on the mirror. That was miserable. It took about an hour before someone came out to remove it. We didn't get much of an apology either. :xmad:

They claim that this thing is much better since you don't have to wait for someone to come to unlock the device.
    Just call, pay, they give you a code to unlock it.
    Of course I'm not sure if someone in a wheelchair could reach to remove it. :dunno:

And if you only have cash then you can call via a phone call either.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Enter the ability to remove it yourself. Call and notify them that they have illegally booted your car, give them a reasonable time-frame to remove it, and if they don't, out comes the sawzall. It's their decision if they want to call it as a bluff or serious, and it's up to you whether it is a bluff or serious. When it happened to us overseas it was NOT a bluff, we had the tools right there with us to remove it, we gave them 10 minutes and they came within that time-frame. They were not amused that we were standing there with sawzall in hand when they showed up to remove it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Somebody is getting rich selling those with some kickbacks to city governments, the same old corruption.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would not tolerate that plastic thing suctioned to my vehicle. CountryBoy19 is right about it being easy to defeat, especially after looking at the underside. Maybe they think people will be too shy or to scared to do what it takes to remove it? Hah.

Top Bottom