• ...and so much more!
  • JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Quick question. I am very new to shooting USPSAmatches. I have only shot one match.

My son and I share a heavy DH3. It’s great for him. But I noticed that, while it’s possible to share a gun, it’s far from ideal.

I do have several other pistols older than when dots came out. With my age I’m experiencing a couple of issues.

1. The weight, while it helps with felt recoil, it’s not so easy on my arthritic wrists.
    2. I only have red (green dots) for me on my edc p365xl, which I do shoot okay. I truly struggle focusing on my iron sights on my other guns. P

So I began the process of looking for another gun. Darn. Lol. I love gun shopping.

I was always told a longer gun would be a go to for competition. Which I understand in terms of weight to bring it back to zero. But with dots is this really necessary for accuracy purposes.

Reason I ask is that I do have a P07 that I love. It has the Cajun Gun Works Pro Package on it. I love how the slide sits in the frame. I think that helps me a lot with keeping it flatter and being easier on my wrists. I did put a Dawson Precision front sight on it for my old eyes. I think it helps a little. But so much of my time is in an indoor range it’s not great.

My ultimate question is, do I send off my P07 for milling and put a dot on it or look for a longer gun?

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Quick question. I am very new to shooting USPSAmatches. I have only shot one match.

My son and I share a heavy DH3. It’s great for him. But I noticed that, while it’s possible to share a gun, it’s far from ideal.

I do have several other pistols older than when dots came out. With my age I’m experiencing a couple of issues.

1. The weight, while it helps with felt recoil, it’s not so easy on my arthritic wrists.
    2. I only have red (green dots) for me on my edc p365xl, which I do shoot okay. I truly struggle focusing on my iron sights on my other guns. P

So I began the process of looking for another gun. Darn. Lol. I love gun shopping.

I was always told a longer gun would be a go to for competition. Which I understand in terms of weight to bring it back to zero. But with dots is this really necessary for accuracy purposes.

Reason I ask is that I do have a P07 that I love. It has the Cajun Gun Works Pro Package on it. I love how the slide sits in the frame. I think that helps me a lot with keeping it flatter and being easier on my wrists. I did put a Dawson Precision front sight on it for my old eyes. I think it helps a little. But so much of my time is in an indoor range it’s not great.

My ultimate question is, do I send off my P07 for milling and put a dot on it or look for a longer gun?

You will get a lot of opinions on this. Here is another and assumes you want to shoot a red dot and that you are wanting to shoot USPSA regularly. If you don't want to shoot USPSA regularly, don't spend money on guns. It's not worth it unless you just want to have some fun buying a gun. Save it for ammo.

For value's sake I would avoid milling a p07. It's not a popular gun in the competitive community. Many will say that doesn't matter, but I can tell you if you catch the bug for USPSA you will soon wonder why it is you have a gun no one shoots and you will be back at the gun store after having dropped cash milling a p07.

From what you are saying I strongly recommend a CZ P10. It is an excellent striker fired pistol, it is light and full sized and you can get it optic ready. Add a plate and your optic and off you go. If you ever decide you are done or maybe you go all in and want a 2011 or a Shadow 2, you can fairly easily move the gun. I love these guns. They have the same grip angle as the CZ 75, and if you want an aftermarket trigger the $125 Apex is really great. You will spend 50% of the cost of the P10 getting the P07 milled. This gun is also a great IDPA gun. Check the classifieds on INGO. They are a regular appearance. Or go to Indiana Gun Club if you are local to Indianapolis.

Purchase a decent holster and some Ghost mag pouches (You can get 3 for $50 from Shooter's Connection) and they will fit pretty much any magazine you want.

Good luck.

P.S. - It is a thing that people coming into the sport buy things only to regret it a few months later. Another option is to just shoot what you have and buy ammo.

Last edited:

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    You will get a lot of opinions on this. Here is another and assumes you want to shoot a red dot and that you are wanting to shoot USPSA regularly. If you don't want to shoot USPSA regularly, don't spend money on guns. It's not worth it unless you just want to have some fun buying a gun. Save it for ammo.

For value's sake I would avoid milling a p07. It's not a popular gun in the competitive community. Many will say that doesn't matter, but I can tell you if you catch the bug for USPSA you will soon wonder why it is you have a gun no one shoots and you will be back at the gun store after having dropped cash milling a p07.

From what you are saying I strongly recommend a CZ P10. It is an excellent striker fired pistol, it is light and full sized and you can get it optic ready. Add a plate and your optic and off you go. If you ever decide you are done or maybe you go all in and want a 2011 or a Shadow 2, you can fairly easily move the gun. I love these guns. They have the same grip angle as the CZ 75, and if you want an aftermarket trigger the $125 Apex is really great. You will spend 50% of the cost of the P10 getting the P07 milled. This gun is also a great IDPA gun. Check the classifieds on INGO. They are a regular appearance. Or go to Indiana Gun Club if you are local to Indianapolis.

Purchase a decent holster and some Ghost mag pouches (You can get 3 for $50 from Shooter's Connection) and they will fit pretty much any magazine you want.

Good luck.

P.S. - It is a thing that people coming into the sport buy things only to regret it a few months later. Another option is to just shoot what you have and buy ammo.
    Thank You!

It’s funny you mention the P10. I was just on Palmetto today and saw the pricing on a P10 F 5.1” or/sr. I ran into the gun shop, held one, liked the grip, ran home and ordered it online. It’s actually a very budget friendly gun.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Thank You!

It’s funny you mention the P10. I was just on Palmetto today and saw the pricing on a P10 F 5.1” or/sr. I ran into the gun shop, held one, liked the grip, ran home and ordered it online. It’s actually a very budget friendly gun.
    Ya, it's really a great firearm. I have a few. Feel free to DM me with questions about the P10 or USPSA.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    There are some great guns that are optics ready 500-600 (The CZ P10c is one I have seen Optics ready for 450) or so so if it were me I’d Get one of those instead of sending in the P07.

I use to shoot USPSA and my advice have fun with it but don’t fall into the trap of chasing gear and gadgets unless you are really going to commit to it.

Good luck!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom