• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captianbullseye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 31, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I just started a new Ruger 10/22 build. The gun is second hand and not all that accurate. I am looking to get a nice bull barrel for it but don't know quite which one to get with all of the brands out their. Does anybody have any expirence with 10/22 bull barrels

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I've had an 18" Shooters Ridge bull barrel on 2 different 10/22s. Probably not the best, but the ones I had had zero problems and not crazy expensive. As for accuracy, in my experience, it was very accurate. I could consistantly get one hole 5-shot groups at 100 yards. Never tried that with the factory barrel so can't say for sure if it actually was any more accurate than the factory.

JMHO and :twocents: and all that jazz

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Green Mountain (often considered a best value)
    Kidd (new "Kidd" on the block with good reputation for accuracy)
    Clark Custom (old favorite for 10/22 aftermarket barrels)
    Feddersen (well thought of by owners, but little known to the broader public)
    TacSol (light weight, but mixed reports on accuracy)

All have their place and followers.

FWIW, I have been switching to a TacSol or Kidd v-block when I change barrels as they seem to fit the barrels tighter than the factory block (10-12 in-lbs for the v-block bolts, IIRC.) Next up is the trigger and the Kidd triggers are fantastic, but I normally save some $$ and just use their "Trigger Job kit" and bolt release in my factory housing. While I have the rifle apart, I typically pop in a Kidd bolt buffer & the TacSol extended mag release.

When scoping the rifle, I like the EGW extended base (available in 0moa & 20moa.)

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I am running an ER Shaw barrel on one of my 10/22s and have been very happy with it. They are button rifled with a Bentz chamber both of which lend themselves towards accuracy and reliability in a semi-auto.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I just started a new Ruger 10/22 build. The gun is second hand and not all that accurate. I am looking to get a nice bull barrel for it but don't know quite which one to get with all of the brands out their. Does anybody have any expirence with 10/22 bull barrels

Green Mountain = best value. I like the stainless steel - looks cool. But accuracy has more to do with ammo quality than the brand of barrel (assuming barrels being compared are in good shape). You can fine tune a 10/22 barrel to a particular ammo using an adjustable bedding kit but you have to do it right or you are wasting your time and money. I used to play with the 10/22s a lot, and spent a lot of money on one. Kidd parts and Boyd's stock - etc. In reterospect, although there is a large aftermarket of parts for 10/22s and they can be personalized, made to look really cool, and are good for shooting rodents/small animals - they just aren't that accurate in comparison to a bolt gun (and especially in comparison to a custom benchrest 22). It's the nature of a blow-back semi-auto. I could have bought a used custom benchrest 22 for what I put into my 10/22. Subsequently I bought a Savage MKII with twist fluted barrel and laminated stock from the factory - I just don't shoot the 10/22 anymore as the stock Savage outshoots it and looks just as cool.

Les

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend

Green Mountain = best value. I like the stainless steel - looks cool. But accuracy for a particular rifle has more to do with ammo quality than the brand of barrel (assuming barrels being compared are all in good shape). You can fine tune a 10/22 barrel to a particular ammo using an adjustable bedding kit but you have to do it right or you are wasting your time, money, and effort. I used to play with the 10/22s a lot, and spent a lot of money on one in particular that I have had since the 1990's. Kidd parts and Boyd's stock - etc. Only thing original now is the empty receiver.

In reterospect, although there is a large aftermarket of parts for 10/22s and they can be personalized, made to look really cool, and are good for shooting rodents/small animals - they just aren't that accurate in comparison to a bolt gun (and especially in comparison to a custom benchrest 22). Don't kid yourself, it's the nature of the blow-back semi-auto mechanism and no barrel will make up for that. I could have bought a used custom benchrest 22 for what I put into my 10/22. Subsequently I bought a Savage MKII with twist fluted barrel and laminated stock from the factory - I just don't shoot the 10/22 anymore as the stock Savage outshoots it a little, looks just as cool, and is not as finnicky regarding ejection.

Moral of this story - 10/22's are a classic and eveyone should own one - but don't put a lot of money into a 10/22 in the name of accuracy. There has to be other reasons to do it! And if you are shooting bargain basement ammo, don't expect accuracy at all.

My definition of accuracy..... I have shot as high as 241 with my 10/22 at a RBA benchrest target at 50 yards. That used to be competitive at my club. Then the guys at my club got into the high dollar custom stuff, and I no longer try to compete with them with either rimfire rifle that I own. Although a 241 is really pretty good, you just can't compete with a $2500 custom benchrest rifles shooting Eley Black Box ammo minimum to a consistent score of 249/250. So I started a vintage bolt action military rifle competition, and as the person starting it I was able to lock out high dollar ringer rifles and just have fun again!!

Les

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Green Mountain has been widely considered the best value for years on RimfireCentral.com. I have several and have been very happy with them. That said, I also have guns that shoot well with Shaw, Volquartsen, and Clark Custom barrels. Many cost more but few shoot better than Green Mtn.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I bought the threaded Fedderson. It was the least expensive route to go for a suppressed host. I like it, as it still shoots better than I do for the time being. (I'm catching up!)

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I have 2 Kidd Ultralights and a Clint Beyer ultralight in a standard taper. All very nice. Whistle Pig barrels have a lot of Rimfire Central street credit :) I'm sure Volquartsen and TacSol barrels are nice too. I have had several Green Mountain barrels and still have a spare 18" stainless bull that I have kept around. I prefer the lighter weight barrels.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    When I had my built 10/22 I had a Green Mountain .920 I bought from Boyd's. It was so accurate with Wolf MT it was boring. Too heavy for the woods, I tore it down and sold the parts. Flash forward to last summer...I bought another 10/22 and had the oem sporter barrel reworked by Que over at Rimfire Central. Along with some other stuff done to it, it's a tackdriver and light enough to carry anywhere.

I will agree though.. Sometimes the ammo and barrel combination makes all the difference in the world.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I bought the threaded Fedderson. It was the least expensive route to go for a suppressed host. I like it, as it still shoots better than I do for the time being. (I'm catching up!)

So, are you saying that the Federson is not going to be accurate enough at some point? I was thinking of going the Federson route, but I don't want to ever have the tool restrict my ability to shoot. I always try to make sure that I am the limiting factor, not the tool.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So, are you saying that the Federson is not going to be accurate enough at some point? I was thinking of going the Federson route, but I don't want to ever have the tool restrict my ability to shoot. I always try to make sure that I am the limiting factor, not the tool.

I have a Fedderson barrelled 10/22. Don't worry a bit about outshooting it. You can't.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I had a Green Mountain bull barrel with the Bentz chamber. It was accurate enough but too heavy, so I went with a Tactical Solutions. Best decision I ever made; every bit as accurate and so lightweight. I don't shoot competitively. My 10/22 is my "go to 22" for squirrels and other property pests. I have an after-market V block, Hogue stock, Volquartsan trigger, and a couple other mods. I have no gunsmithing skills and have been able to do all of this very easily. My gun likes Ely Sport ammo, 5 shots at 50 yds all touching. I have a Mueller APV all purpose 4.5-14x scope. A Huntertown Arms Guardian suppressor rounds it out. This gun puts a never ending smile on my face every time I shoot it.
    Photo on 12-20-14 at 9.22 AM.jpg

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    any of those barrels will be good.
    after that, it's finding the ammo it likes best.
    I have a Butler Creek barrel that shoots Federals like a shotgun spray (seems like it anyway), but loves Aguilla in the yellow/blue box.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have a shaw I think on mine. Its a 16" threaded barrel. Not as cool looking or talked about as much as some of the Kidds and stuff, but I'm very happy with it! I think I paid like 80-90$ for it too....

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I learned years ago from the Dan Wesson revolvers that a tentioned barrel could be very, very accurate, that is, a barrel that has a tentioning nut on the front end of the barrel.

Having learned that, I bought a light weight carbon fiber barrel from Volquartsen for my Ruger 10/22 and with a good scope I am able to shoot sub-dime sized groups at 75 yds indoors (the longest available to me).
    Now it is a light weight carbon fiber sleeve around a tentioned barrel, no need to have all that extra weight lugging you down.
    I very pleased with mine.

Top Bottom