• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    So in good Southern Indiana fashion myself and a couple buddies rigged up a barrel vice today. I didn't take pictures but it was pretty redneck.

I started by greasing the threads to prevent galling and hand threading what I could(4 turns).

I got a block of wood of some type and drilled a 13/16 hole with a paddle bit and then cut through the center. I couldn't find any bowling rosin at a sporting goods store so I got this pine tar free spray used for bats. I generously doused the blocks and we cranked the vice down. There was also a series of C-clamps involced due to a crack in the block.

We then took scraps of a rubber mat and a pretty mean looking combination vice grip/pipe wrench from snap on and went to town on the receiver. We chose to grip just behind the threads as this was the thickest part. We were able to get a few solid turns in till the wood was basically shot. We cut new blocks and got a few more turns in.

The wrench was working great and there is no damage to the receiver, the problem is that the barrel keeps spinning. I have no doubt that a "proper" action wrench won't do any good.

My next guess is find a nicer piece of hardwood, use larger blocks (ours were about 3"x2"). And I'm thinking some steal plates between the vice jaws and the wood to more evenly distribute the pressure. Possibly using the hydraulic press. The tacky spray I got was working well till we were roughly 6 turns out from being done, one major downfall was the wood soaking it up. I think I need to find some powdered rosin instead.

Ultimately I decided that the vice was just crushing the wood where the jaws contacted and that was the major issue.

Any other possible ideas?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was given a barrel vice adapter and a couple of different block sets for different barrels. They were cast out of what looks like some lead or zinc alloy. I suppose a person could get some hard lead alloy and cast their own blocks if you worked on a particular shaped barrel often. It is amazing how little resistance some new rifle barrels have to unscrew, and it is also amazing how hard you have to twist some of the old german mausers to get them apart.

No matter how carefully you cleaned everything up, the jaws always hurt the bluing. Since I was throwing away the new blued barrels and replacing them with bead blasted stainless steel barrels, it really didn't matter to me.

Last edited:

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Where are you located? I have a real, steel barrel vice and I can whip out a custom bushing for your specific barrel in a matter of 30 minutes or so.
    Im in Evansville, If it comes to that I'll take you up on that offer and make the trip.

Top Bottom