• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    Are Barska & BSA scopes any good or are they crap, I was looking at buying a 3.5-10x40IR mil dot "swat extreme tactical series" scope to go on my .308 Cetme. just looking for some input from people that have had them or had experience with them.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd not put either one on anything more than a .22...

For scopes, with VERY few exceptions, you get what you pay for.

And these brands aren't the exceptions...

A good scope is going to cost money. That's just the way it goes.

-J-

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    In that price range they are really all the same.

There are ALOT of good things said about Millett and Falcon optics. Check them out. There are also many people who like the super sniper line.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Mueller and Burris also have quite a few offerings in that price range.

A good rule of thumb is to spend as much on glass as you do on the rifle itself.

Granted, that rule is for eeking out the best possible performance from the rifle.

In your situation, I don't think that you need, necessarily, to do that. Your price range mentioned will get you into just about anything you want.

If you want to buy a low priced / low end optic to get you started...by all means, do that and upgrade later.

But if you want longevity, shock resistance, weather resistance, and one that'll hold a zero... Then you don't want buy a Barska or BSA.

-J-

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Sage advice

The Mueller APV is a good scope for well under your suggested price. Got them on 2 HMRs. Most of the rest of my scopes are Bushnells and lots of them fall into your price range.

Here's 2 bits of advice I picked up on another forum.

1. "Only a rich man can afford cheap scopes"
    Why, you may ask! Because you're going to replace it with a good scope after you realize you wasted your money on the cheap one.

2. "Friends don't let friends buy BSA scopes."
    I had to learn this lesson the hard way. I got a 6-24 BSA and after one prairie dog trip with it, I gave it away and replaced it with a Bushnell.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    BSA RED DOT

Bought a BSA redot for my wifes Marlin mod 60, mounted nice, better than the deerfield that was on it. Seems to point good, but haven't had it to the range yet...let you know when I do.

sixspeed042

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    granger, IN
    I dont know anything about barska...but i have 5 bsa scopes...all of which serve different purposes. i have a 3-12x44 cats eye for my muzzle loader, a sweet 22 for my .22lr, sweet .223 for some range time on the AR. Also have a sweet .17 for my .17hmr and a 2-7x32 for my shotgun. All of these scopes i've had for several hunting seasons without any problems. keep in mind I'm not trying to nail down a deer at 500 yards, but for the price i feel that they are the best scopes in that range. i've shot the sweet .17 out to 350 yards without any trouble. the shotgun and muzzle loader scopes have been dropped several times and left out in the cold/rain/snow for hours/days while hunting. i even dropp the 870 with the scope down a 9' tree stand and continued to shoot a deer at 125 yards 2 hours later.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I must say I have had great luck with my B.S.A. red dot. It has been accurate, and held zero very well. I can not speak for their actual rifle scopes. However, I would deffently look at the Bushnell Banner series. Have one on my Savage, and have been more then pleased. Also they fit in your price range!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    they aren't very good scopes period. i am a firm believer in the buy once cry once theory. you can find leupolds in that price range if you look around and don't rush it. if you want look at the leupold mark ar scopes. they start out at like 299 brand new so used you can find them for a bit cheaper. also look at bushnell and nikon much better than baraska and bsa

also it would help to know what are you going to be using it for, hunting and woods humping, just range shooting, ect. either way good luck finding what your looking for

Top Bottom