• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I stuck this one on a .223 Heavy Barreled Bolt Savage with a 1 piece Leupold base and rings.
    4-16x50 IR Sniper Scope by Barska Green Ir mil-dot - Riflescope by BARSKA

So far, it's been a decent value for the money. The glass is relatively clear when it's cranked up and it has pretty good eye relief. I have not been making a bunch of range and windage adjustments with it though. I've just been trying to learn how to use the mil dots for windage and overhold, so I can't tell you if it will return to zero or not. It's going to eventually be upgraded to a Leupold if I try to push out beyond a couple of hundred yards on a regular basis. Right now it's just seen time on the range and one groundhog hunt.

IMAG0162.jpg

Obviously it's not experiencing anything near the recoil that yours would be, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Thanks.

Nearly everything has been at a hundred. I've messed around a bit at around 185 and that would have been fine for shooting varmints. The 1 groundhog I've shot was at roughly 125 paced off and I could see him clearly at around 12x. You'd probably want some more magnification if you're target shooting at 200 or beyond. I think this scope would be workable out to around 300 for hunting, but that's just a SWAG on my part. The gun will definitely outshoot the scope (and the shooter at this point ;))

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Bought a pair of their binoculars a while back. They were a nicely shaped and coated pile of ****. I won't tempt fate with a scope from them.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Have one on my marlin 17 hmr and it has held up well. Holds zero well and for the money, I am pleased. Better low budget option than Tasco.

reaper101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Muncie, Indiana
    Barska scopes blow big fat ones. i had the exact scope in question and it didn't hold up to jack sh*t before it lost zero and then just gave out in total. it was on a remington 700 BDL in 30-06 with some leupold sportsman aluminum rings. within 6 shots my zero went out the window, after re-zeroed i shot it again about 7 or 8 times and then it bought the farm. i bought another for a savage 10fp in 308 and it was off and sold in about two weeks cause it was no better. i had heard great thing from several people and figured id give them a shot. ill stick to my nikon or even a tasco.:twocents:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I just purchased the Excavator scope for my Savage .308.
    Barska 8 - 32x50 Mm Illuminated Reticle Excavator Scope, Scopes, Barska at Sportsman's Guide

I haven't gotten to shoot with it yet, but I can tell you that it is a bit blurry from 25-32X zoom, however it's not so bad that you can't make out the target, it's just not crystal clear.

Hoping to zero it in and test the durability this weekend. I'll follow up as soon as I shoot.

Here is a picture of it on the rifle.
    Savage_Barska.jpg

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    I used my new barska red dot today and she zeroed in well, not difficult to do.....however, after firing about 50 rounds, I noticed she was getting off zero. The screws on the rail attatchment came loose. I gonna get some lock tight and screw her down with a wrench.
    I will let you know how it holds up...till next time.

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I had a very long post typed out on this but it logged me off and lost it. My point was that this is a low quality optic and should not be used for long range which would be why you want a top end of 24x. This scope has no windage/elevation listed, Mil/MOA ret and turrets, IR that will most likely bleed, most likely a hazy look though the reticle that will be blurry at top mag. RUN, dont walk, away from this scope. Dont be fooled by the name, just because it has SWAT in it doesnt mean any SWAT team would ever, EVER, put your life on the line with it.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i have the tactical red dot w/ rails all the way around it on my ultimate 10-22.the red dot is now inside the tube.the dot went from center to up inside.no more barskas ever for me.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have used Barska scopes on a few rifles, the biggest being my .50 muzzleloader. That particular scope has been on the rifle for 4-5 years, and has been nothing but great. I dont know how good it would be for shooting out past 300 yds, but it does fine @ 200 and under for deer hunting.
    It should live with the recoil of your rifle, but depending on what you intend to do with it, might not be the best choice out there. For the money they arent bad, but for a truly great scope, you will need to raise your budget a bit.

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    My experiment with the barska red dot. Ends in dissapointment. The first firing session, zero's in well, but the mounting screws came loose.
    Second firing session after putting some loctite on the threads, zero's in well again but there were some other mounting screw issues where other internal screws came loose!
    I could have put loctite on those as well, however, the red dot light itself moved from the center to the upper right of the scope.
    I could have tried to find an allen wrinch to open her up and fix her with more loctite on the red dot light.......enough is enough.....
    Cheaply made.

I did have her mounted on my sks, which some would say is futile and I'm beginning to agree, but I can tell by the multiple problems with the scope that no one who shoots more than 200 rounds through a gun should use this scope.....for any plaatform!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Barska is total crap. I have had their binoculars, red dots, and scopes. NOTHING held up. The rifle you mentioned in the OP is going to have a lot of recoil, and need quality optics if you don't want to constantly re-zero it.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Barska is total crap. I have had their binoculars, red dots, and scopes. NOTHING held up. The rifle you mentioned in the OP is going to have a lot of recoil, and need quality optics if you don't want to constantly re-zero it.

Great material if you're re-inacting the sniper shot thru the scope!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    get a super sniper 10x for a couple hundred bucks and be done with it. adjustable turrets, 10x is good to shoot out to 1k with. for the longest time military snipers had fixed 10x scopes and no problems. good glass and they can stand the recoil on a 50 cal.

baraska is junk, sorry to anyone who this offends but its the truth. they are a lot like counter sniper optics, more of a novelty than anything and for some of the mall ninja's who shoot 50 rounds total and are done they may seem ok, but if you actually plan on shooting look for something else

Top Bottom