• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK, so we have a thread on the end of instruction in cursive writing. We have a thread on the skills of long division and multiplication.

Has anyone under 40 been taught sentence diagramming? How about under 30?

What other skills are no longer taught?

Blessings,
    Bill

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I’m 26 and the term “sentence diagramming” sounded familiar to me. I had to Google search it to figure out what you were talking about though.

I vaguely remember learning how to do this in school.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Based on the majority of the posts on this forum, sentence structure, grammar and punctuation, spelling, well, is a dead art anymore.

Just sayin'.

:D

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I was taught how to use a slide rule by my H.S. chemistry teacher in the late '70s. He didn' believe in them new-fangled calculators. :fogey:

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I'm 21 and I know how to sentence diagram. I was home schooled for the first 5 years before attending a public in sixth grade. So that might have something to do with it...

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I remember having to diagram sentaces for a few different years back in school.. I'm 26 btw.

We had to use a ruler and protractor to make sure the lines were perfect. :(

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    I'm 33 never heard of that. Then again if it wasn't taught in auto mechanics I wasn't listening.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I'm 26 and I diagramed sentences, in a public school, it was in 4th grade I belive.
    Did it for about a month.
    I'm my last semester at waubonsee community college I payed money to attend an English class where we diargammed sentences.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Wow, diagramming sentences. I completely forgot about ever doing that, but I used to be good at it! I do not fall into the age category you asked about however. :fogey:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm 30-something and did it. But I am a bona fide grammar nazi if ever one existed (without the compulsion to correct others, thankfully). I notice split infinitives, sentences ended with a preposition, dangling participles, the plural pronoun incorrectly paired with the singular antecedent (using "their" when it should be "his" or "her" as in "No one should be deprived of their rights."). Yep, that's me.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Yes I had to diagram sentences. That was in high school back around 2000.

I'm 30-something and did it. But I am a bona fide grammar nazi if ever one existed (without the compulsion to correct others, thankfully). I notice split infinitives, sentences ended with a preposition, dangling participles, the plural pronoun incorrectly paired with the singular antecedent (using "their" when it should be "his" or "her" as in "No one should be deprived of their rights."). Yep, that's me.

I'm guilty of several of these. I actually do know better, I'm just too lazy to care. :D

Top Bottom