24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As my hunting grows, I am trying to stop borrowing supplies/tools. I have slowly been getting them -- and the time is here for a decent knife. Primary function of the knife is to gut and skin deer. I look at Smokey Mountain Knife Company and my brain locks up. I can't afford tons of $$$ but don't want complete junk. Any help would be great.

Thank you

Here's the thing. For field dressing a deer you have a whole world of options that'll get the job done. A lot of great advice so far, but at the end of the day when I think of dressing out a deer I want something sharp and pointy that's not any longer than a 4" ish blade, and I like to see some kind of bright color on the handle or somewhere that when I set it down it's very easy to find and pick back up. I have a Case XX-Changer that I really like that I can change the blades out on, but mostly I like it because it reminds me of my grandfather who used to always carry a Case pocket knife. If I were you, I'd buy any mora you like that's less than $50 shipped to your door. Once you get it in your hands you'll find what you do and don't like about it which will guide you when buying your next knife.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I carry a Buck Crosslock for field dressing. It has bone/wood saw blade for cutting through the pelvis with a guthook blade on the back and a spearpoint blade for removing the tarsal glands, cutting the diaphragm and esophagus, etc. They go for $80 or less and purposely designed to make the job a bit easier.

Top Bottom