Basic Sharpener and sharpening devices question?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Rhino wants a Tormek, or maybe one of the horizontal wheels that you grind on the flat.

I think the horizontal flat glass disc things are Worksharp products. I know lots of woodworkers like them.
    https://www.worksharptools.com/woodworking-tool-sharpener-ws-3000.html

I don't care for sandpaper-based abrasives. Sandpaper is for large objects where you have to bring the abrasive to the item (like a body shop, or when finishing large pieces of wood or such). When you can bring the metal to the abrasive because it's a small workpiece, there are definitely better options than sandpaper.

IMO, over time the consumable expenses for a belt or paper based sharpener will add up and eventually overwhelm the price of even a very expensive Tormek.

A selling point for me on the Tormek was that the high purchase price buys you low residual costs. The Tormek wheels last a LONG time. The Japanese waterstone is unlikely to be worn appreciably in my lifetime or 3 more lifetimes. The standard stone is known to last a long time even in professional full-time shops where it's doing dozens of knives a day. The Tormek will run a decade with just electricity and stropping paste.

One could eschew the standard Tormek wheel and go with a multiwheel strategy using diamond and Waterstone, and you'd basically never have to buy another wheel. Leather strop wheels are cheap and last a long time too.

I have the Worksharp Knife and Tool sharpener-- the one that looks like a mini slack belt grinder. I would get about two knives from a fine belt and it's be totally loaded. Since these belts are over a buck each, this thing would break me over the coming years buying consumables for it. And then there's the need to buy these special belts. What if Worksharp goes under and you can't get more belts? It's one thing to use a "standard" belt like a 1x42 or a 2x72. But these little guys that are proprietary? I'm not a fan of proprietary or single-source items, I see that as risky.

I'd be more inclined to buy a bunch of 1x42 belt sanders for HF or Grizzly and setup the varying grits on those. A 1x42 belt is under $3 in most cases and lasts a LOT longer than a little worksharp belt, while also working much faster.

Or go with something like this:
    https://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/belt.htm

In all those cases, though, the belt systems can remove a LOT of metal very quickly. This would allow a pro to work quickly. But it also means the margin for error is very, very slim.

I think a lot of people don't realize just how hot you can get the very edge of a blade with standard power sharpening methods. The apex is going to be around 0.1 microns thick. That's a ten thousandth of a millimeter, folks. You won't see it turn blue, but it can get super hot and you'll never know it because only the tiniest metal at the very tip gets hot and loses temper. The rest of the blade is so much more massive you'll never feel it. You could have the very apex flash to 600-700F and blade in hand will barely feel warm.

Grind a really thin piece of steel on the bench grinder and notice how that very end is glowing red hot even when you can still hold the piece with your bare hand. That same dynamic is playing out on a smaller scale with almost any powered dry sharpener.

Hence, I believe the slow wet action of the Tormek is the way to go for anything you really care about.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was referring to big grinding wheels that rotate horizontally in a water bath. The sharpening is done on the flat side rather than on the curved/radius of a Tormek or other conventional grinder. The advantage is that you have a flat surface and not a slight convex curve, which you have even on the larger Tormek wheels.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Damnit guys! I see this thread, remember I have a nick in my Spyderco, grab my small worksharp out of my bag and now I'm bleeding all over my keyboard!

:faint:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I was referring to big grinding wheels that rotate horizontally in a water bath. The sharpening is done on the flat side rather than on the curved/radius of a Tormek or other conventional grinder. The advantage is that you have a flat surface and not a slight convex curve, which you have even on the larger Tormek wheels.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying.

Before deciding to go full Tormek, I thought a lot about that hollow. I'm of the mind that the hollow is minor enough that it doesn't matter because there's such a short width of blade actually touching that radiused surface. And IF it does matter, then you can get the Diamond Tormek wheel and sharpen on the side.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ahh, thanks for clarifying.

Before deciding to go full Tormek, I thought a lot about that hollow. I'm of the mind that the hollow is minor enough that it doesn't matter because there's such a short width of blade actually touching that radiused surface. And IF it does matter, then you can get the Diamond Tormek wheel and sharpen on the side.

Agreed... I think it would only be an issue for people who are very picky about scandi grinds being perfectly flat all the way.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Agreed... I think it would only be an issue for people who are very picky about scandi grinds being perfectly flat all the way.

I'm about to un-Scandi my Moras on the thing, so not really looking back after that.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Ssshhh! Don't tell anyone, but all of my knives with scandi grinds have a microbevel. It's bushcraft heresy!

Ironically, Moras are some of the most well-known Scandi blades, as the company prefers that grind, but a MORA IS NOT A TRUE SCANDI-- a Mora rep in the tormek forum confirmed there is a tiny microbevel!

Mora-over, they recommend the Tormek for their knives.

Mora calls a "true Scandi" to be a Scandi-zero grind. And when a Scandinavian company tells you that a "true scandi" isn't really helpful, it should count for something, I'd think.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ironically, Moras are some of the most well-known Scandi blades, as the company prefers that grind, but a MORA IS NOT A TRUE SCANDI-- a Mora rep in the tormek forum confirmed there is a tiny microbevel!

Mora-over, they recommend the Tormek for their knives.

Mora calls a "true Scandi" to be a Scandi-zero grind. And when a Scandinavian company tells you that a "true scandi" isn't really helpful, it should count for something, I'd think.

There's even a Tormek package that you can buy that comes with . . . a Mora!

Top Bottom