• ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Can anyone recommend training classes for beginners in or near Indianapolis for myself and my son (12)?
    Thanks,
    D.

First off, always a kudos to someone ferrying the next generation through their marksmanship journey.

Second, I highly recommend the following group. From family friendly to more in depth defensive training. I have done several courses of varying degrees and can't say enough good things about the staff of RR.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Proteq Firearms Academy is worth the drive out to Brazil, IN. (60 mins from the airport exit) Outstanding facilities and Stephen and his crew are top notch. And OMAR* (Don) who owns the range is a great guy as well. I've taken an advanced class with Stephen and his team of instructors and though I'm not a new shooter by any means, they were able to give me some excellent pointers to improve my shooting. (and gear) Looking forward to taking another class with him eventually.

And they have a great range that does a lot of outreach like offering their range to LEO for qualification, and INGO open houses for us to play around for the day for free to see if we want to become members. (I am a member)

And they listen to their customers and actively seek feedback. I was just out there last week and they were both working together on an improvement project they had told us about a couple weeks before at the last INGO open house. They were chatting about the construction plans preparing to break ground as I approached. After we exchanged pleasantries and I let them know I was there to shoot and would give them the courtesy of using one of the other ranges instead of making noise at the other end of the firing line, (which they were fine with) Don said "While you are here, this is the idea. What do YOU think of this plan?" And they both listened intently as I gave my opinion. That doesnt happen just anywhere.

And since its you and your son, they offer group discounts of two or more on training classes.

*Old Man At the Range :lmfao:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I teach part time at Top Guns in Terre Haute. We do an Intro to basic handguns for beginners as well as personal protection and carry on Saturdays from 11-3 ish. We also do private lessons as well. There is myself and 5 other instructors all but one is a former and or current LE Instructors as well as a Range Master IDC instructor course. One is also Gunsite Instructor

You can PM me if you want more details

Good Luck

dagny99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Can anyone recommend training classes for beginners in or near Indianapolis for myself and my son (12)?
    Thanks,
    D.
    I was lucky that I shot my first firearm with trainer at Indy pistol training. It’s hard to imagine a better instructor. I’ve shot on my own, with Kelly Mcann (Jim Grover Alias) and was going to take a lesson at a range last week but decided not to. I don’t think indy pistol is doing classes anymore but hopefully you can get some recommendations on here.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply. I appreciate it.
    Regards,
    D.

Either of the following events in Sept. would be a good starter point for pistols. Rimfire friendly is a plus as well. The latter has additional benefits along with instructions for younger shooters, as well as a noble cause.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Anyone can call themselves a trainer. Spend your money wisely as many will not catch the mistake.

View attachment 282863
    Well at least it’s in a holster I guess! could be like these YouTube instructors. And Yes they loaded the guns before putting on their eye and ear pro!

Attachments

• 0D65986D-A5D8-4DAD-9FD8-0897F8B15909.jpeg
      0D65986D-A5D8-4DAD-9FD8-0897F8B15909.jpeg
      393.1 KB · Views: 23
    • D28E20C9-6EEC-435C-97AE-EF7CA7ADF3BD.jpeg
      D28E20C9-6EEC-435C-97AE-EF7CA7ADF3BD.jpeg
      51.6 KB · Views: 23

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I was just made aware of that unfortunate event. Guessing he is training in a new venue now.
    Man I miss that guy but I'm certain Coach is doing an exemplary job at his new venue.
    I taught basic classes and assisted Coach with some of the advanced classes at Parabellum. Working with Coach was always a learning experience for me as well as the students..
    I also instructed at SPB/Range USA for a couple of years but the corporate structure there left a lot to be desired.. Now I occasionally teach private and semi private classes.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    First off, always a kudos to someone ferrying the next generation through their marksmanship journey.

Second, I highly recommend the following group. From family friendly to more in depth defensive training. I have done several courses of varying degrees and can't say enough good things about the staff of RR.

I have to second that. REVERE'S RIDERS are VERY safety-oriented, but they keep things fun. I've attended probably over 20 events and they're always a great value. I think they UNDER-charge for their events.

Top Bottom