• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade1978

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Porter
    I visit the Bass Pro Shop in Portage, IN pretty frequently. The other day, just out of curiosity, I went to the Customer Service desk and asked about their policy regarding bringing loaded handguns into the store (to check out holster options, etc). They said that I would need to stop at the "greeter" and let the person know that I have a gun with me. The greeter would make sure it was unloaded and would put a trigger lock on it. They stressed that it was against their rules to carry a loaded handgun in their store. I asked them to show me the sign that tells customers that this is their policy, and they couldn't show me one single sign. I then asked how they expected customers to know their policy if they didn't post it openly. Their reply, "I guess the customer would be expected to ask." Hmmmmmm

Bass Pro Shops: Don't Ask, Don't Tell

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    At least Cabela's let's you CC. When I was holster shopping, I took the holster to the counter and "Borrowed" one of their Kimbers to check the fit.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    They said that I would need to stop at the "greeter" and let the person know that I have a gun with me. The greeter would make sure it was unloaded and would put a trigger lock on it.

Yeah that's not gonna happen. No greeter is handling my weapon.

See if you get the same answer when someone else is working.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I have always open carried there and never had a single problem. The first time I did it I was cautious, but I talked with the people behind the counter about scopes for probably about 45 min, and didn't have a problem. Actually, just the opposite...the guy asked me what I was carrying and we shot the shat about carry pieces for a bit.

The only time I have checked in with them is when I brought in my Rem 700 to look for a new case for it. They put a cheap trigger lock on it, and on the way out popped it off.

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I personally witnessed my brother in law (who worked there at the time) inform an off duty police officer that it was against their policy to have a firearm w/o a trigger lock on it in the store.

This guy didn't look menacing in any way. He had an IWB holster with a jframe revolver in the middle of his back and had his shirt tucked in so you could see the grip. A couple of employees were following him and it was all over the radios.

My bro in law approached him and told him of the policy, the LEO then showed him his badge. Bro in law told him that it didn't matter. The worst part is that the LEO was about as far away from the greeter as he could be. So he had to walk back to the front of the store and then walk back to where the interaction took place, which happened to be the gun counter. I felt bad for him.

Just an idea, even though it sucks that you have to do it this way...

Assuming that they sell your firearm at that store, you can just take the holster to the gun counter it try it on one of the models in the case.

They will also take back anything as long as you can prove you bought it at Bass Pro.

An guy in camping told me that an older gentleman brought a 10 year old tent back to the store and they exchanged it. I doubt that happens all the time though.

newguyjosh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Which bass pro was this? A few weeks ago I CC into the BPS in clarksville. I saw there sign about all firearms must be checked in and stopped and talked to the greeter. He said CC was fine but wanted to check my permit. I showed it to him and went on my way.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I visit the Bass Pro Shop in Portage, IN pretty frequently. The other day, just out of curiosity, I went to the Customer Service desk and asked about their policy regarding bringing loaded handguns into the store (to check out holster options, etc). They said that I would need to stop at the "greeter" and let the person know that I have a gun with me. The greeter would make sure it was unloaded and would put a trigger lock on it. They stressed that it was against their rules to carry a loaded handgun in their store. I asked them to show me the sign that tells customers that this is their policy, and they couldn't show me one single sign. I then asked how they expected customers to know their policy if they didn't post it openly. Their reply, "I guess the customer would be expected to ask." Hmmmmmm

All I hear is "blah blah blah check out a holster with a loaded gun" blah blah blah".

Basspro CORPORATE POLICY is to allow CC or OC (per state law) in their stores.

IF you are planning on checking a gun for accessories, it's not good etiquette not to whip out our carry gun in public and it's against their store policy.

Cabelas has the same policy as Basspro and Gander, keep you carry gun in it's holster and check everything else at the door.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield

Should have asked how you could test holster's with a trigger lock on....... I can't see them fitting well with a trigger lock on.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Which bass pro was this? A few weeks ago I CC into the BPS in clarksville. I saw there sign about all firearms must be checked in and stopped and talked to the greeter. He said CC was fine but wanted to check my permit. I showed it to him and went on my way.

^This ....
    I CC in BPS Clarksville all the time

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    CC is untouchable by Company policy Country wide. I have addressed this with corporate about 3 years ago. It's OC or bringing in for repair that want's you to render them inoperable

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I visit the Bass Pro Shop in Portage, IN pretty frequently. The other day, just out of curiosity, I went to the Customer Service desk and asked about their policy regarding bringing loaded handguns into the store (to check out holster options, etc).

In a retail store setting, using a loaded firearm to "Check out holster options" or anything else for that matter, is an expression of irresponsible gun ownership IMO. The only reason I can think of, for a loaded firearm to leave the security of its holster, in a public setting, is the threat of the loss of my or my loved ones life.
    :twocents:

And I also think unloading and making it safe in the store (you did say bringing it in loaded) would be an even worse idea.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    In a retail store setting, using a loaded firearm to "Check out holster options" or anything else for that matter, is an expression of irresponsible gun ownership IMO. The only reason I can think of, for a loaded firearm to leave the security of its holster, in a public setting, is the threat of the loss of my or my loved ones life.

And I also think unloading and making it safe in the store (you did say bringing it in loaded) would be an even worse idea.
    exactly. Concealed means concealed. NOT taking it out to try out a holster. Holsters are returnable. Take it to your car, try it in there, walk right back in if it doesn't fit right

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    exactly. Concealed means concealed. NOT taking it out to try out a holster. Holsters are returnable. Take it to your car, try it in there, walk right back in if it doesn't fit right

I really don't see any difference between fiddling with your loaded gun in a crowded store or fiddling with your loaded gun in a crowded parking lot. :dunno:

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana

Right on. One of the local gun shops had an incident where a guy was pushing his loaded handgun into various holsters and the gun discharged. When it went off my girlfriend(now wife) was in there while I was waiting in the car outside. It scared the crap out of her and me too, the stray bullet could have hit her or anybody else.

Top Bottom