• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chet wisner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Evansville
    Hello from Evansville. I'm a prospective new owner here in Indiana (never owned or fired a gun), and, of course, I know I'll need some training and such, but I was wondering about what the Federal forms will require as to past mental health issues.

It seems I seen, several months back, that they asked if the buyer was currently or had ever been treated for mental health issues, including voluntary treatment. Now, it seems that question has been reworded with such that only those who have been court ordered treatment would answer YES. This is per form 4473.

Has this been recently changed, I wonder, or am I looking at the wrong form? I'm speaking of the form I would fill out during purchase/

Thanks

-chet

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Have a look in this thread.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/41578-ltch_and_mental_health.html
    The 4473 is just for the purchase and asks, "Have you ever been adjucated mentally defective(which includes having been adjudicated incompetent to manage your own affairs) or have been committed to a mental institution?"
    The language for a License To Carry Handgun is different. If you have ever been treated you will need a letter stating you are not a danger to yourself or others.

chet wisner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Evansville
    Thanks. I recall now that I had also seen the application for CCW, and the wording was different than that for purchasing.

I've never been deemed to be a danger to myself or anyone, and I've never had any psychosis. I've just had some minor anxiety problems in the past due to some deaths in my family, and take med for that. Nothing major, so I hope I didn't alarm anyone.

I could probably lose the med, and my Dr. tells me that he thinks the only reason I still take it is for sleep-aid because the dosage is so small that it's not really therapeutic for anything else :)

I don't know how I'd go about arranging for a mental health physician to sign off for me. I haven't seen a Psychiatrist for years. My family Doc takes care of me now, and I'm not sure if Indiana would accept a statement from a non mental health physician, and I'm not sure my doctor, a flaming liberal, would be comfortable. I've never asked him about it. And I can't imagine a psyc seeing me for just that reason alone.

Well anyhow, guess I'll take it one step at a time. If anyone has any experience with similar cases, I'd appreciate hearing them.

-Chet

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    and I'm not sure if Indiana would accept a statement from a non mental health physician, and I'm not sure my doctor, a flaming liberal, would be comfortable.

Call the ISP and ask them. Simplest way, and they'll be happy to answer your question.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Thanks. I recall now that I had also seen the application for CCW, and the wording was different than that for purchasing.

I've never been deemed to be a danger to myself or anyone, and I've never had any psychosis. I've just had some minor anxiety problems in the past due to some deaths in my family, and take med for that. Nothing major, so I hope I didn't alarm anyone.

I could probably lose the med, and my Dr. tells me that he thinks the only reason I still take it is for sleep-aid because the dosage is so small that it's not really therapeutic for anything else :)

I don't know how I'd go about arranging for a mental health physician to sign off for me. I haven't seen a Psychiatrist for years. My family Doc takes care of me now, and I'm not sure if Indiana would accept a statement from a non mental health physician, and I'm not sure my doctor, a flaming liberal, would be comfortable. I've never asked him about it. And I can't imagine a psyc seeing me for just that reason alone.

Well anyhow, guess I'll take it one step at a time. If anyone has any experience with similar cases, I'd appreciate hearing them.

-Chet

A note from your doctor will suffice. It just has to say you are not a danger to yourself or others.

chet wisner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Evansville
    Thanks for the replies. I feel much better now. I'll just try and get a statement from my family Doc and mark YES. I'm sure it will hold the process up for the LTCH, but
    that's fine. At least I should be able to purchase with no delays.

Thanks

Top Bottom