• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    I also received this same response from Senator Donnelly. His response came this week but it was not about the M855 issue, I hadn't wrote to him about that yet. I would like to stop writing to him because it always falls on deaf ears. However I refuse to go down without a fight and I will remember how he votes on these issues.

Sadly you have to keep writing, emails, phone calls can be denied but that had written letter someone has to sign for (part of the mail screening process) then it has to be opened and logged (still part of the screening service) only then does the staff receive it. When I converse with any elected officials I always follow up with written letters.

Keep writing when assisting with a campaign many years ago I learned that they have a formula: every letter they receive reflects the view of a large number of people were as phone calls and emails representing very few VOTES. The VOTES are what really matters to them.

JMHO
    (Just My Humble Onion)

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    Just got off the phone to voice my Opinions on Congress attempting to change my Military retirement health care AGIAN and I addressed the M855 and ss109 ammo. apparently they are receiving lots of comments on the subject so keep in touch with your elected officials and don't for get to write.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Help me understand something, please. I don't shoot the AK and am just thinking about shooting the AR15 more.

This ban looks different than the 7n6 ban, although both apparently came from the ATF redefining an ammo category and/or taking the opportunity to ban something because of the availability of a pistol to use these rounds in.

From what I see, 7n6 was in import ban, not manufacturing. But apparently the real attraction of 7n6 imports were their cheap price? IOW, can the 5.45 x 39 ammo you can still buy, do the same thing... but cost more? Or is there something different? I see 7n6 on gunbroker and it doesn't seem to be much of a hot item so I'm assuming you can still get something similar but not nearly as cheap as before?

The proposed ban on m855 states
    "ATF recognizes that this ammunition is widely available to the public. Because it islegally permissible to possess armor piercing ammunition under current law, withdrawing the
    exemption will not place individuals in criminal possession of armor piercing ammunition.
    However, with few exceptions, manufacturers will be unable to produce such armor piercing
    ammunition, importers will be unable to import such ammunition, and manufacturers and
    importers will be prohibited from selling or distributing the ammunition"

This clearly allows you to "possess" what you already have but doesn't address reselling.

My thought is that because there is a lot of that ammo out there, reselling continues and can eventually be a reason for government abuse as in "people with a lot of that to sell could become subject to investigation to see if they are working with illegal importers or manufacturers" ??

Tinfoil hat? A misunderstanding of the laws on my part?

Last edited:

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    I think the true hang up comes when surplus ammo from military. Military seconds would normally hit the market keeping the price low and without that supply chain the price will slowly climb. Lets be hounest the m855 shoots good but it is far from great ammo.

What I like is after the health care takes their share and the man out right steals anther part and I pay my lease to the government to own my house (for anther thread) cheap ammo is all I can really afford from my pay check.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

We Will Not Back Down | #SaveGeenTip - TROP Gun Shop

acttr

They are giving away ammo, at the TROP Gun Shop ..... VOTE !!!!!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sent an message to Sen. Coats (R) for whatever that's worth. Did'nt bother with lost causer Rep. Visclosky (D). He's as anti gun as they come and makes no attempt to hide that fact.

BlackGun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Sent an message to Sen. Coats (R) for whatever that's worth. Did'nt bother with lost causer Rep. Visclosky (D). He's as anti gun as they come and makes no attempt to hide that fact.

Did the same and totally agree with regard to that visclosky(AKA Worthless)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Did the same and totally agree with regard to that visclosky(AKA Worthless)
    Visklosky is a lifer. Democrats have a lock on that seat up north here so he has nothing to worry about. He has the freedom to be clear about his anti gun point of view.

I would vote for a head of cabbage before I would vote for Visklosky.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Saw an interesting position on this:

I hope the ATF *doesn't* lift the M855 ban... : progun

Some salty language therein... but the thought is to let the ATF ban it... and utilize congress to pull back the power of the ATF.

Thoughts?
    The ATF certainly needs a slap down just like the IRS needed one when they got too power hungry. The problem lies with motivating congress into taking action to de-nut the ATF.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like now is the time to be a manufacturer of 5.56x45 NATO ammunition that does not include a steel core. Could be making land rush bank on this arbitrary government ban. Maybe some JHP style with ultra-soft lead filling the nose.

There already are a LOT. I think this sucks, and I send messages to Sen Coats, the ATF and some other folks.

HOWEVER....

There are a a lot of other FMJ 62 grain NON M855 type offerings. The one that comes to mind is the .223 chambering. Pretty much any 62 grain marked with a 223 chambering isn't M855

AMM-2112_B.jpg

92031.jpg

This is because most indoor ranges already banned m855.

Supply of 62 grain 223 and 55 grain M193 remains constant and strong. If anything because the panic, supply was a bit bloated anyway.

I am seeing many offerings of 62 grain 223 and 55 grain M193 between 20 to 30 cents a round. Right about where it always was. Steady diet of it.

In the end M855 will disappear, Ammo makers will ramp up 223 62 grain production. And the ATF might get a black eye over this.

Hell M855 was going away anyway. the USMC is using Mk 262 and Mk318 SOST (Both of which are available to civilians and WORLDS better then M855)
    The Army was moving to M855A1 ammo, which is a lead and steel free round.

Top Bottom