• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedhoosier451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greensburg
    Have all you folks signed the petition against this ban? Also have you emailed the BATFE, representatives, and the president? I think all of us as gun owners should do all these things, at the very least to make our numbers heard!

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    I do have a question because I do not know.
    First: Is there a length difference between a short barreled riffle (barrel of 9-10 inches) and the pistol version of the AR. They look like the same over all length just you have not paid your fee to be on the government list.

Second: If the lengths are very similar why didn't the ATF take action when there was a surge to have SBR's by the public. I would have to imagine that a back log of 9-11 months would represent a large number of SBR's (and I understand that suppressers, short barrel shot guns are in the mix to).

Thanks

Just wondering

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I do have a question because I do not know.
    First: Is there a length difference between a short barreled riffle (barrel of 9-10 inches) and the pistol version of the AR. They look like the same over all length just you have not paid your fee to be on the government list.

Second: If the lengths are very similar why didn't the ATF take action when there was a surge to have SBR's by the public. I would have to imagine that a back log of 9-11 months would represent a large number of SBR's (and I understand that suppressers, short barrel shot guns are in the mix to).

Thanks

Just wondering
    While not necessarily addressing your question I don't think any surge in SBR interest had anything to do with the BATF's action at this particular time. This move is purely politically motivated backed by the Executive office given the fact that no move was made previously. Pistol type ARs have been on the market for quite some time.

The timing is quite suspect without any kind of data to support any additional threat to LE to back up any BATF's justification to rescind the "primary sporting use" exemption.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    One thing we all know. They will keep doing everything they can to limit our ability to enjoy shooting and firearms/ammunition ownership. These people are relentless and evil in their nature. Freedom to them, is what they tell you freedom is. Sadly, us humans never really learn from history. :n00b:

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    Saw an interesting position on this:

I hope the ATF *doesn't* lift the M855 ban... : progun

Some salty language therein... but the thought is to let the ATF ban it... and utilize congress to pull back the power of the ATF.

Thoughts?
    I read this guys statement and I partly agree with some of it sort of. I think I should have started writing my senators and congressmen and sending my magnitude of letters on this subject last years when they began banning the Russian imported ammo. I agree with that part keep wrighting you elected officials not just about this but ATF's over reach (its not hard to find a subject it seems like there is a new one every week), but I disagree with his statement let them ban it and wait till congress and senate figure it out. Hell we could be waiting a very very long time. A mater a fact if we do it that way alone my grand kids may get the issue resolved in there life time (their track record has not been so good in the last few years okay three decades).

FYI
    I am now sending old coats, Donnelly and Vickers a snail mailed letter every week for the rest of the year on 2nd amendment issues. I look it as supporting my local postal carrier. A little job security. LOL

:)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have e-mailed, Faxed, signed the petition and encouraged others to do so also. There are A LOT of us you own ARs, we should be hearing that our elected officials e-mail servers are crashing from the volume.

UNLOCKEM

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Every time I click fax my letter I get this response even after I put my name, city and state on the form "Please sign the letter with your name, city, and state before sending). Am I doing something wrong?

JAFO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    After Rush misread the news today, I think all of it will be in short supply again.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    What's funny is that the articles that came out today make it sound like all 5.56 ammo is up for banning, which is going to cause ALL .223/5.56 to sell out. LOL!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I just read the entire 17 page ATF document regarding this issue. http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fi..._primarily_intended_for_sporting_purposes.pdf It is painfully obvious to me and anyone else with any rudimentary firearms knowledge that it is nothing more than a load of :poop:. The effects on the actual lethality of any weapon as a result of this action would be nearly zero. This is nothing more than a thinly veiled "foot in the door" technique. Here's an excerpt from this document:

" ATF has long recognized .22 rimfire firearms and ammunition as primarily intended for sporting use. Further, .22 rimfire projectiles are usually 40 grains or lighter and are generally suitable only for use against small game and at short distances. This ammunition poses little threat to law enforcement and exemption of such ammunition is consistent with the language, statutory scheme, and intent of LEOPA."

Stating publicly that any ammo for any firearm poses little threat to law enforcement is absurd. Even at a fair distance, today's technology allows for an incredible level of accuracy even with standard .22 ammo. If they can accomplish restrictions on one common type of ammunition, they can eventually accomplish the same with any ammo. Whether or not you are a fan of the ammunition in question today, any freedom loving American should be greatly concerned about this issue. Incremental-ism is alive and well and this is a fine example of it.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    If they can accomplish restrictions on one common type of ammunition, they can eventually accomplish the same with any ammo. Whether or not you are a fan of the ammunition in question today, any freedom loving American should be greatly concerned about this issue. Incremental-ism is alive and well and this is a fine example of it.

Couldn't say it better!:+1:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    What's funny is that the articles that came out today make it sound like all 5.56 ammo is up for banning, which is going to cause ALL .223/5.56 to sell out. LOL!

I noticed that too. Many news outlets are implying that the proposed ban applies to all AR15 ammo. However, this could serve to stir up even more opposition.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Maybe as the hoarding changes focus, we can find .22lr cheaply available!

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    I didn't read all 32 pages of this, but I do have a civil disobedience question. Marijuana possession is a federal crime, but a blind eye is turned towards it in the states that have legalized it. What happens if a group of states tells the fed to get screwed, we're not going to follow through on your executive edict. Does the fed fight the states , and try to force them to follow the edict, or do the states say takes us to court. Then tell the court that if the fed won't enforce the drug laws, or immigration laws, why should we enforce the arms laws ? Maybe I'm off, but it seems that it is a valid question.

digitalphoenix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    In a cornfield.
    There already are a LOT. I think this sucks, and I send messages to Sen Coats, the ATF and some other folks.

HOWEVER....

There are a a lot of other FMJ 62 grain NON M855 type offerings. The one that comes to mind is the .223 chambering. Pretty much any 62 grain marked with a 223 chambering isn't M855

AMM-2112_B.jpg

92031.jpg

This is because most indoor ranges already banned m855.

Supply of 62 grain 223 and 55 grain M193 remains constant and strong. If anything because the panic, supply was a bit bloated anyway.

I am seeing many offerings of 62 grain 223 and 55 grain M193 between 20 to 30 cents a round. Right about where it always was. Steady diet of it.

In the end M855 will disappear, Ammo makers will ramp up 223 62 grain production. And the ATF might get a black eye over this.

Hell M855 was going away anyway. the USMC is using Mk 262 and Mk318 SOST (Both of which are available to civilians and WORLDS better then M855)
    The Army was moving to M855A1 ammo, which is a lead and steel free round.

I understand that there are way better alternatives for M855, but we need to stay active and strongly voice our opinion about ATF's decision. I don't even care about M855 because I can't shoot it anywhere anyways. But the fact that the corrupt leaders of this nation are deeming that we, the law abiding citizens, are too immature for such a round and well use it for our benefit against the government. The ATF can try to ban the crappy Remington surplus .22 LR ammo and I'll still keep shoving my voice in our lawmakers faces until they finally get that it might cost them their seat in the next election.

Why do I do such a thing that doesn't benefit me in any way? Because I am fighting for the rights of every firearm owner so we can see us with the same ability of gun ownership in the next years.
    I wish many more people in the community had this same mentality. Too many fudds need to get their facts straight, because I don't see them as being a true gun owner.

Fudds are like a kid that has a puppy but doesn't want to feed it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Up to 60,859 on the petition. Getting more play on news, both Tony Katz and Garrison discussed it on WIBC this AM.

Keep clogging the Fax machines and e-mail servers of our elected reps. The 1st amendment is a wonderful thing.

Top Bottom