• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I searched but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

So I've long debated whether it would be better to have rechargeable batteries and a charger you could use in a car or house, or just disposable batteries. What's your take on the situation?

How I have it laid out now I have 4 flashlights that all use cr123a's and I have a set for each light and 3 spare sets. I rotate them into the lights fully using the batteries in each light so I am not wasting charges. The batteries I use are Tenergy LiFePo's. Bang for the buck they beat disposables hands down, but you may not always have the ability to charge them if SHTF.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Since the shelf life of Li-ion is 5 years, I stick with "disposables". Depending upon rechargeable batteries requires a power source for them - and they will fail soon enough anyway.

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    A powerfilm solar panel and eneloops are my choices. You can charge the batteries, electronics, or vehicle batteries. And you can get it all from Amazon. Just be careful because there are a lot of fake eneloops out there.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Rechargable and a solar charger. If its daylight they'll charge even with cloud cover
    I got 50 energizer off ebay for 30 bucks AA

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    For SHTF you can't beat rechargable batteries and a solar charger. Lots of options available. I have a solar charger I bought from Harbor Freight and one I got from ebay. Both seem to do the job.

With the way normal alkaline batteries have been going up in price rechargable might be the way to go for daily use also.

YMMV

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I'd love to get a solar panel to charge with. Boiler the type you're talking about what type of connection is there from it to tie into electronics? I saw that they could charge AA's in 2.5 hours but I just don't see how it's done. I wouldn't mind a solution that could charge many different types of batteries actually if they make it.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I'd love to get a solar panel to charge with. Boiler the type you're talking about what type of connection is there from it to tie into electronics? I saw that they could charge AA's in 2.5 hours but I just don't see how it's done. I wouldn't mind a solution that could charge many different types of batteries actually if they make it.

They do,I've posted a pic on here before. Mine does AA,AAA,C,D and 9 volt. It was about 20 bucks on ebay. Works great.Only downside its not Monocrystiline ,so it has to be in full sun,any shadow and it wont charge.I am talking,like if you hold a finger in front of it ,it shuts down. I'm sure they make monocrystal's though.

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    I have a 28 watt powerfilm rollable solar panel. It comes with a female cigarette adapter. From that you can get a USB adapter to charge batteries, iPhone, etc. You can also get alligator clips for it. Pretty versatile.

Gunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Mooresville
    Either way you go eBay is seriously the way to go. I recently bought 200 AA's and 200 AAA's for about $110. All are brand new and expire in 2017.

Top Bottom