• ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Randy Harris, Suarez International Ambassador
    The years following World War Two found every major military in the world looking to upgrade their current battle rifles. This was no big surprise, as many nations were still fielding bolt action rifles. The United States was the only country fielding a reliable semi auto main battle rifle in the M1 Garand. The Garand had performed admirably during WWII, but by the 1950s many new designs clearly eclipsed the Garand. more

btw, sloughfoot you might not want to read this one.:):

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I can't believe you actually called me out on this Michael.....:):

For the record, I own a PTR91. With lots of mags.

You know I like the Mini 14 and am proficient with it. You know I like the AR15 and am proficient with it. You know I own an M1A and am proficient with it. None of them is perfect. I can make them all work if needed. But at least I won a XD9 in a M1A match once. The ONLY time I ever won anything substantial when shooting a rifle.

Even the shooting groupies behind the firing line cheered at that win...

I would absolutely love to train with you while utilizing my PTR91. We would have a ball.... That is serious.

You would have to provide an ammo boy to bring me my ammo. That 308 ammo is heavy...

Last edited:

chtheo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Josh, the guy shooting the M14 is ok but the guy man-handling that FAL is a stud...

Mike, nice article!

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I have been meaning to up grade my battle rifle stock. My Chinese Type 53 is a nice rifle but a bit dated. Thank you for the break down of these rifles. What I like about the article is that it was not too technical.

I will say the FAL and G3 are not pretty rifles. I want the most for my dollars. The M1a is sweet but at $1800 is just too much in comparison to the PTR91 or an FAL build.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    A quality FAL isn't cheap either. Love me some FALs, but the M14 fits me a little better. Besides I've met quite a few Vietnam vets that carried them and talked about them as if they were the second coming of Jesus.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I have a DSA SA58 FAL, a PSL, and M1A. The PSL shoots all over the target at 100 yds., the FAL is better but still not enough to instill confidence, plus it has very little adjustability with the sights. The M1A is far and away the best at everything of the three that I own. I'm certain that other versions the rifles mentioned are better than mine and in hands other than mine might produce different results.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Great article. Good breakdown on the different rifles. I would like all three but can barely afford to buy ammo for my AR. 'sigh'

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    I own an HK91 but I love my FALs.
    DSC_0126_zps10843998.jpg

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The article missed one major problem with the G3 as a battle rifle (or really, pretty much any HK military rifle). They suffer from some of the worst iron sights that anyone has inflicted on a soldier. That stupid rotating ring arrangement is just plain terrible. It sucks on the G3 and it sucks on the MP5, along with everything in between (including the Galil). The M14/M1A probably has the best iron sights (like most American military rifles, the designers put a lot more stock in the marksmanship capabilities of the individual soldier). The FAL sights are pretty standard for European rifles.

I've owned/had access to iterations of all 3 weapons systems. By far, I prefer the FAL and M14 to the G3 (I got rid of both my CETME and my CA93, as I just really didn't enjoy shooting them that much).

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    While I thoroughly enjoy my LRB M21 variant, even with the shorter barrel etc., I have been wondering about the PTR G3 for a while now. Might have to pick it up when finances allow. Excellent write up, as usual :)

Top Bottom