• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Question while this is NOT gun related it somewhat is. While cleaning out the attic I found my Original Red Rider BB gun. 25+ years old and still works, although not too sure it would go into an aluminum can from 10 yards out.

Is there a law/regulation on BB guns in Indianapolis/Marion Co limits? If anyone would know you folks would.

I know there would probably be the calls about guns, but we are in a suburban lot with 6’ privacy fence around our yard. Thought about allowing the 10 to learn some basic gun handling and techniques before allowing on a range so they can get feel, understand sites, stance etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's how my kids started. We shoot pellet rifles regularly in the back yard. We put up ample back stop and follow all safety protocols. Not sure about any regulations about this.

Don't shoot your eye out kid.......................................................:D

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I think you keep it safe and you stay supervising them, (and your neighbors are on good terms with you,) you'll be fine. I cannot speak for the legality of it though.

If a "BB gun" is not permitted, you might want to look into Airsoft; they make them that look and function pretty much just like real guns now, and just shoot the little plastic pellets. It would be a cheap way to practice marksmanship and handling skills inside the city limits.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The wonderful council person, Angela Mansfield, tried about 5-6 years ago to ban the use of firearms in Marion county. This proposal was so over reaching that it included BB guns, slingshots and air soft. Anything that fired any projectile was included.

It was soundly defeated!:rockwoot:

There could be some obscure city ordinance, so, worst case scenario you could get a ticket which will be cheaper than range fees. It's a win! I'll be guarding my tomato plants (in Marion County) tonight from a neighbors free range chickens. I'm torn between between using the Crossman or the 9mm. Lol!

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I think you keep it safe and you stay supervising them, (and your neighbors are on good terms with you,) you'll be fine. I cannot speak for the legality of it though.

If a "BB gun" is not permitted, you might want to look into Airsoft; they make them that look and function pretty much just like real guns now, and just shoot the little plastic pellets. It would be a cheap way to practice marksmanship and handling skills inside the city limits.

I was actually thinking about getting an airsoft rifle to start teaching my kids safety, mainly because if they slip up (they're 4 and 6), I'm left with a just a welt (at least while it's shorts weather ;)).

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Is it this one
    images

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    I would suggest checking with local PD. BB and paintball guns are illegal to shoot inside many city limits due to the potential of causing injury or damage to property.

Steve

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Have a basement? A fence? A garage?

A Red Rider is not very strong. A plywood box with a piece of sheetmetal at a 45 degree angle will make an excellent BB trap.

I use the side panel from an old computer. Not even a 1000fps pellet rifle penetrates it.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    For little kids and Airsoft, you can get scaled down sized guns for the little kids. If they play with them, make sure the orange tips are present and supervise them, show them how to operate it all safely.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Thanks to all for the advice and help. We will be picking up a few bales of straw when we go out to the grandparents this weekend out on the farm. Should be a good back stop then the wood privacy fence. Will do a little more digging into local area just to CMA.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Do yourself a favor and spend $50 on a new bb gun at walmart. Not only are those old ones not powerful, but terribly innacurate. It is all about accuracy to me, and lack thereof takes all the fun out of it. Bails of hay are perfect for bow and arrow practice to!

jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    I know in Noblesville city limits it is illegal to shoot any "dangerous projectile" including pellet guns, bb guns, paintball guns, and even airsoft guns.

Top Bottom