Be Careful at Range USA - Training yourself or Guest will result in being Banned from Property

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scari

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    Cannelton
    No they want to monopolize the training dollars. No different than theaters prohibiting outside food/candy.
    No I know what their idea is. Just saying not everyone can afford $100 per hour training, at least allow general safe handling training so that earl down in lane 10 don't get his pearls shot off lol

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No I know what their idea is. Just saying not everyone can afford $100 per hour training, at least allow general safe handling training so that earl down in lane 10 don't get his pearls shot off lol
    You should buy a range. All of INGO would support your endeavor. What the heck am I saying? Actually half will not come because you have rules that make sense for the clientele you deal with and the other half will not come because you don’t have enough rules to keep them safe.

Probably be better if you found a different clientele than INGO. :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Well, in my experience you really can't win with everyone. Name a post or subject on INGO that doesn't have at least four points of view minimum.

Now me? I'd start with a really ironclad waiver and letting the customers decide if they feel safe or not. That's their prerogative... right Ted?

Banning patrons for "instruction" (taking the OP at face value) is preposterous. I was at the range last weekend with an experienced shooter shooting a new to him rifle. Is showing him basic operation of the platform really instruction? I think not. It's basic safety, right after the four rules of gun handling that apply to every firearm.

No loading magazines at the back bench. There is absolutely no reason for that rule outside trying to waste the maximum amount of your time. It's totally absurd.

Now, full disclosure here. I was at Range USA last weekend with a close friend from out of state. It was my second choice because Parabellum was running on a three hour wait. I decided to see how RUSA was doing. We got right in after the video and waiver. We were able to share a lane and got through the whole hour without anyone barking at either of us until the end. I finished the last magazine, dropped out the magazine, locked the rifle open, and while holding it empty and up turned around to have me friend hand me the case. I got jumped for that. I didn't set foot out of the stall.

A big turn off is a sign inside the range pertaining to shotguns. No bird or buckshot anymore. I'm not taking a first time shotgun shooter and handing them a box of slugs.

The whole thing seems set up for you to just go alone, shoot one or two guns that you have crammed into a case, and leave.

In the last few months I have probably spent over a thousand dollars at Range USA, while being aware of the objections stated in previous posts. Despite them being way down the list as a choice I did my homework and checked with 5 close LGS for what I wanted. No one else had what I was looking for, and the prices I was quoted were higher than RUSA. They got the sale and a little follow up business. That doesn't mean it will continue with increasing rules and unnecessary policies like continual license scanning.
    A couple of things. When I worked at an indoor range, we would allow the loading of mags at the tables against the back wall, behind the firing line, but I can understand why they have that rule in place (sort of). Even experienced shooters would, without thinking maybe, tend to empty a mag at the firing line, and then turn and carry their firearm back to the loading table. So I can somewhat understand a corporate place like range USA just saying “screw it, no more of that”.

Also, concerning the slugs only rule, I don’t know what kind of bullet trap they have, but we had to ban all shotgun use because the plastic waddin was clogging up our led collection system. We literally had to chisel off an inch of lead inside our deceleration system, because the wadding would turn into a sticky mess inside the chamber and allow lead to cling to the walls.

I understand peoples frustration with some of these rules that seem arbitrary on the surface, but for some, there’s a good reason WHY the rule is in place.

Edit: Oh, and shot shells create an absolute mess with fragments of paper targets, cardboard backers, and the target carrier itself, not to mention the tiny particles of paper destroying the ventilation system filters in less than half of their expected usage life.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    “Teacher” may be the key word here. Filling an enclosed room full of noob gun owners with casual trainers may cause concern to the merchant pertaining to liability and income. After all, it is not ethical to buy your McDonald’s lunch and eat it at Panera bread as you use their WiFi but I see it all the time. The Merchant has skin in the game.

A long list of military/police combatants, shooting awards and owning the latest and greatest Call of Duty Video games does not necessarily mean one may be a Teacher. There can be no teaching without learning and from what I can see in the real world of casual gun owners is that real learning has been scarce. Instruction takes commitment from the student otherwise it is just chin music.

Bosbar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Just outside Indy
    Years ago, I went to Point Blank in Greenwood. RO came up and tapped me on the shoulder and told me I was shooting to fast.
    I turned and told him, if bullets are flying at me, damn right I'm going to shoot fast.

On another note, I was looking for a 22 to buy for my daughter. I saw a nice Ruger mark IV. I asked what he would take for it.
    He said the price was on the gun. I told him, I've never paid sticker price for a gun yet, and I'm not going to start now. Haven't been back to Point Blank since.

Anyone ever go to Highsmiths in Greenfield?
    Nobody bothers you on the range, no one has ever commented on how fast I was shooting and yes, they will give you a discount for cash.

I bought a membership so I can shoot once or twice a week.

Great people there.

G582

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Greenwood
    The only time a RO at Point Blank has told me I was shooting too fast was on the weekend when there were a lot of shooters. I get it, you have to have the same rule for everyone and it helps cut down on the shooting the lights, walls, the bench and the other shooters on the range, but during the week it tends to be fewer tacti-cool operators and they never say a word.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Years ago, I went to Point Blank in Greenwood. RO came up and tapped me on the shoulder and told me I was shooting to fast.
    I turned and told him, if bullets are flying at me, damn right I'm going to shoot fast.

On another note, I was looking for a 22 to buy for my daughter. I saw a nice Ruger mark IV. I asked what he would take for it.
    He said the price was on the gun. I told him, I've never paid sticker price for a gun yet, and I'm not going to start now. Haven't been back to Point Blank since.

Anyone ever go to Highsmiths in Greenfield?
    Nobody bothers you on the range, no one has ever commented on how fast I was shooting and yes, they will give you a discount for cash.

I bought a membership so I can shoot once or twice a week.

Great people there.
    Not defending, but guessing at chain store like Point Blank/Range USA the counter people have no authority to move on price. I'd see it the same as buying a gun at Walmart.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    The only time a RO at Point Blank has told me I was shooting too fast was on the weekend when there were a lot of shooters. I get it, you have to have the same rule for everyone and it helps cut down on the shooting the lights, walls, the bench and the other shooters on the range, but during the week it tends to be fewer tacti-cool operators and they never say a word.
    Not defending, but guessing at chain store like Point Blank/Range USA the counter people have no authority to move on price. I'd see it the same as buying a gun at Walmart.

Both absolutely the case. Counter people at chain stores have no power to negotiate prices on guns. I know that to be a fact from time spent at Range USA and Sportsman's warehouse.
    Rapid fire at the range tends to encourage more of the same by the tacticool operators and that's when things other than the target tend to get ventilated.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Rules are rules, fortunately/unfortunately...

I have rules in my shop and at my property too. Don't like them? Go somewhere else. They are/were put in place because of a person or situation. I shouldn't have had them put in place, but some jackwagon decided to be a solution of vinegar and water.

Case and point: had a guy tell me his semi auto shotgun was going full auto on him. As he is walking up to the shop, his finger is on the trigger. I politely, but assertively asked him to give me the firearm. Guess what was in it....yup. Loaded chamber AND magazine.

Point two: had an acquaintance tell me he wanted to do some bird hunting. Said he loved going and was a "great shot" from being in the military. Same guy was shooting at sparrows in my back yard, aiming towards my neighbors house, and shooting at random "birds."

Unfortunately rules have to be made to the lowest common denominator. The only way that changes is for people to hold other people accountable and make sure it NEVER happens again. If it's in the rules, even in the fine print, you're agreeing to them. Right, wrong or indifferent. There was probably a situation where, again, some jackwagon was an "instructor " and was divvying out "pointers" which led to problems. You got lumped into it because they don't want the liability. Now, do I think you're a bad teacher or dangerous...I have no opinion on the matter. But, erring in the side of caution, with history being the best teacher, I'd say that is the justification for the rules.

I've had negative experiences with other places mentioned in this thread. But, I chalked it up to someone having a bad day, or maybe they treat everyone like that...idk....but I offer a little grace and move on.

Sucks to be banned from the property. I'd be the guy to go in and buy something to see if that were the case just to see. Again, maybe someone lost a loved one that day, and you were the tipping point. Maybe they had a fight with their spouse. We all have bad days. At worst, apologize for inadvertently breaking their rules and see what happens?

I'm not a fan of this cancel culture stuff where one side comes on a forum and then everyone dogpiles without first hand knowledge.

Sorry....rant off. Flame suit on....I'm sure there will be backlash but....eh....

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Rules are rules, fortunately/unfortunately...

I have rules in my shop and at my property too. Don't like them? Go somewhere else. They are/were put in place because of a person or situation. I shouldn't have had them put in place, but some jackwagon decided to be a solution of vinegar and water.

Case and point: had a guy tell me his semi auto shotgun was going full auto on him. As he is walking up to the shop, his finger is on the trigger. I politely, but assertively asked him to give me the firearm. Guess what was in it....yup. Loaded chamber AND magazine.

Point two: had an acquaintance tell me he wanted to do some bird hunting. Said he loved going and was a "great shot" from being in the military. Same guy was shooting at sparrows in my back yard, aiming towards my neighbors house, and shooting at random "birds."

Unfortunately rules have to be made to the lowest common denominator. The only way that changes is for people to hold other people accountable and make sure it NEVER happens again. If it's in the rules, even in the fine print, you're agreeing to them. Right, wrong or indifferent. There was probably a situation where, again, some jackwagon was an "instructor " and was divvying out "pointers" which led to problems. You got lumped into it because they don't want the liability. Now, do I think you're a bad teacher or dangerous...I have no opinion on the matter. But, erring in the side of caution, with history being the best teacher, I'd say that is the justification for the rules.

I've had negative experiences with other places mentioned in this thread. But, I chalked it up to someone having a bad day, or maybe they treat everyone like that...idk....but I offer a little grace and move on.

Sucks to be banned from the property. I'd be the guy to go in and buy something to see if that were the case just to see. Again, maybe someone lost a loved one that day, and you were the tipping point. Maybe they had a fight with their spouse. We all have bad days. At worst, apologize for inadvertently breaking their rules and see what happens?

I'm not a fan of this cancel culture stuff where one side comes on a forum and then everyone dogpiles without first hand knowledge.

Sorry....rant off. Flame suit on....I'm sure there will be backlash but....eh....
    I have no issues with rules. Rules are good for many reasons as you pointed out. However, even with all their rules (in my experience) their Carmel Range is a dangerous place to go shoot and I will never set foot inside their range. They require DL scan to purchase stuff? Their store, their rules. Won’t let a 20 yo shoot a handgun on the range unless accompanied by their parent or guardian? Their range, their rules. Will I ever buy stuff from them? I feel their prices are high but never say never! But I will not shoot on their range again, ever!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I have no issues with rules. Rules are good for many reasons as you pointed out. However, even with all their rules (in my experience) their Carmel Range is a dangerous place to go shoot and I will never set foot inside their range. They require DL scan to purchase stuff? Their store, their rules. Won’t let a 20 yo shoot a handgun on the range unless accompanied by their parent or guardian? Their range, their rules. Will I ever buy stuff from them? I feel their prices are high but never say never! But I will not shoot on their range again, ever!
    things like the above make using your own outdoor range not so bad even when it’s cold and wet outside.

Top Bottom