• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hertz has been in the news A LOT for reporting people for stealing cars, when they were not stolen.
    Steve Lehto has covered several instances.

Here is one.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree where Steve said, maybe instead if Grand Juries for people stealing cars, that are not stolen, maybe they should start pulling in some Hertz execs, to explain.

Reactions: Leo

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Dad traded a vehicle at a car lot and several months later the ISP called him to let him know that his vehicle had been recovered. Turns out the lot left it in Dad's name, never registered it. Some kinda shady business going on there too.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Dad traded a vehicle at a car lot and several months later the ISP called him to let him know that his vehicle had been recovered. Turns out the lot left it in Dad's name, never registered it. Some kinda shady business going on there too.
    That actually happens quite a bit. Thru the years I've looked at purchasing cars being sold by the "owner" but when it came time to complete the paperwork the title would be in someone else's name but signed over to the current "owner". Although probably nothing more than a flipper to cheap or lazy to put it in their own name first or just hoping for a fast flip but I walk away no matter how good the deal seems.

I sold a car to a guy one time and a couple of months later the cops came knocking on my door after it had been involved in a hit and run accident. I still had the purchaser's information so it didn't end well for him.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    That actually happens quite a bit. Thru the years I've looked at purchasing cars being sold by the "owner" but when it came time to complete the paperwork the title would be in someone else's name but signed over to the current "owner". Although probably nothing more than a flipper to cheap or lazy to put it in their own name first or just hoping for a fast flip but I walk away no matter how good the deal seems.

I sold a car to a guy one time and a couple of months later the cops came knocking on my door after it had been involved in a hit and run accident. I still had the purchaser's information so it didn't end well for him.

Yes, I've heard of individuals doing that, but I'd definitely think a Budget car lot shouldn't be doing that.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I bought a car like that once, but I knew the guy. He flipped em. He'd find a good deal on a car that needed some work, fix it, and sell it. I've also passed on several. One was a hell no pass. Vin on the dash didn't match the vin on the title, but did match the dash sitting in the front seat. They said they got the dash that was installed from a junk yard, but it was in much worse shape than the one sitting in the front seat. And the title had been signed iirc 7 or 8 years prior. And I really wanted that car, it was a '71 AMC Javelin with the 360 and 4 speed.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

I had a similar thing happen to me a couple years ago when I traded my car in at Carmax. I was sent a notice to appear in court in Chicago as a co-defendant along with a couple other individuals who I did'nt even know that committed a number of offenses with the previous vehicle after I traded it in.

Turns out that my name was never taken off the old registration or the system still showed the vehicle as being registered in my name. I had to provide proof to the clerk's office that I had traded the car prior to the offenses taking place. I did that and was eventually dismissed as a co-defendant. This is a perfect example that you should always obtain a signed and dated proof of sale or trade when the ownership changes hands.

I found out that my old title changed hands a couple times after I traded it in to Carmax. They transferred it to an auto auction who apparently auctioned it off and it still showed up in the system as being registered to me after that.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In some states, you leave the plates on the car when you trade. Then you register your name for the plates that are on the car you just bought. Many, if not all Used car lots will sell your old car with the plates still in your name. They leave it up to the new buyer to make it right. It happens way too often, that the new buyer put a few hundred down and signed a loan, never getting the registration updated. A month down the road, the car is used in a felony and someone gets the license number. Now a warrant is out for the arrest of the man still registered with those plate, and that man is you. Even if it was not used in a crime, if there was a traffic accident, the other drivers insurance company has lawyers coming after you.

I kept my plates and the dealer got very upset almost cancelling the deal.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    When I was fresh out of college, I worked at a Hertz for a few months until I got a better job. I absolutely hated it. My best customer story: A gentleman rented a compact car for a few days, so a total rental charge of around $50 and a hold on card of $200. Later that day he called because his debit card had been charged over $2,000. I took down his information and called it into corporate to see what was going on. They claimed they could not see that charged to his card. I called him back asking that he bring in a copy of his bank statement so we could see what was going on and provide that back to corporate. Instead, he showed up with police(probably a friend), claiming that it was my fault and threatening to have me arrested for theft. Turned out the system had crossed his information into an insurance rental file and a month long insurance rental had gotten charged to his card.

matbmorr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2021
    Charlestown
    Worked for a stint at Hertz when we lived in Nashville. It's been a while, but I know that the system was pretty terrible then. However, the management mentality and corporate focus at the time was to screw as many people out of as much money as possible, so this could really swing either way. I lucked out, and ended up at a branch that dealt with mostly corporate accounts, so really I just got to meet a lot of cool people that I wouldn't have met otherwise, such as some of the higher-ups on Nashville and B.B.King's drummer. Made some pretty good money as well, not even counting the lost and found that you could claim after 6 months.

Top Bottom