• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I won't shoot on a range in the same bay with a stranger. I'll wait until they're done. I don't leave my gear unattended, I don't leave my vehicle unlocked, and I am never completely unarmed, even if I just emptied the gun I was just shooting.

Exactly, I keep my head on a swivel at the range and am never unarmed or only left with an empty gun. This is just good situational awareness. I'm also very careful when approaching anyone and very watchful of anyone approaching me at a range or otherwise.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    Exactly, I keep my head on a swivel at the range and am never unarmed or only left with an empty gun. This is just good situational awareness. I'm also very careful when approaching anyone and very watchful of anyone approaching me at a range or otherwise.

Can you explain this? All of the ranges I've been to, require that you leave the weapon in the stalls, so are you carrying something different?

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    No, some ranges will not infringe on your right to be armed. But there are usually rules in place that stipulate that you cannot draw a weapon from a holster, or from your body, and shoot with it. Our range will allow you to carry on your person, but if you wish to shoot that particular weapon, you MUST go back to the unloading area, safely unload and box the empty weapon, then return to the line with it. Other ranges, I've heard, don't even have those safety measures installed.

GunnerJacky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    boston
    According to me, being a firearms instructor is a risky job. You never know who accidentally shoots you. Plus, you can't say NO to any trainee just by seeing his ignorance or attitude as it is your job which requires you to give lessons to your trainees.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Same here. When shooting at a private range early in the morning, I'm usually the only one there. I like the safety in knowing I'm not at risk from another shooter's idiocy, but I do have to keep my head on a swivel and always have a loaded weapon holstered with me. Always.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Exactly, I keep my head on a swivel at the range and am never unarmed or only left with an empty gun. This is just good situational awareness

+1 I stay vigilant due to all the mentally unaware and dime store rambos who thoughtlessly sweep other shooters. I stay armed with a handgun I am not using for practice just in case a nutjob gets stupid.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    According to me, being a firearms instructor is a risky job. You never know who accidentally shoots you. Plus, you can't say NO to any trainee just by seeing his ignorance or attitude as it is your job which requires you to give lessons to your trainees.

You absolutely can say no at any time. If that costs your job, so be it.

I'm not letting someone carelessly point guns at me just to teach them, especially if I just told them not to do it. See how long you last you in a class with one of the big name instructors if you point a gun as him/her or another student.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yea, be careful, don't leave your weapons out or in the wrong hands, bad people may get their hands on them, say like Al Qieda in Iraq maybe?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    "The Burlington Free Press reported that Lewis is subject to an order out of New York that prevents her from possessing or purchasing a firearm, court records show."

"She has a lengthy criminal record in New York City and was living at a Hundred Acre Homestead in Worcester, a Vermont-licensed therapeutic community residence, the Free Press reported."

So, apparently, they knew she was dangerous and yet a lengthy criminal record in NY just earned her a therapeutic community residence in VT instead of a jail cell in NY?

Some judge or defense attorney probably thought this was a brilliant alternative to prison.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Very interesting. I suppose it pays to be prepared!

I work midnight to 9am currently. Will be moving to days in a couple of weeks and will work 1030am to 930pm

Your hours might be pretty convenient then. The indoor range I usually shoot at opens at 9AM. I've shot there during different parts of the day, and by far, when they open is the best time to shoot. When I get there at 9AM, I often shoot alone for the first half-hour or so. But as the day wears on it gets much more crowded. After 5PM is the worst time to go as I often have to wait for a lane to open up.

It's my guess that most ranges would have that kind of pattern. Earlier = emptier. If your place of employment allows you to keep firearms in your car, when you're working nights (if you're still alert when it's quitting time), you might hit the range on the way home. When you go to days, you might hit the range on the way to work if there's time.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    Your hours might be pretty convenient then. The indoor range I usually shoot at opens at 9AM. I've shot there during different parts of the day, and by far, when they open is the best time to shoot. When I get there at 9AM, I often shoot alone for the first half-hour or so. But as the day wears on it gets much more crowded. After 5PM is the worst time to go as I often have to wait for a lane to open up.

It's my guess that most ranges would have that kind of pattern. Earlier = emptier. If your place of employment allows you to keep firearms in your car, when you're working nights (if you're still alert when it's quitting time), you might hit the range on the way home. When you go to days, you might hit the range on the way to work if there's time.

I actually work from home! I would love to go to the range more often if I could find a place where I didn't have to pay $18 an hour

Last edited:

newdave61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    Avon
    I actually work from home! I would love to go to the range more often if I could find a place where I didn't have to pay $18 an hour

Indy Arms at 55th and Keystone (actually on Tacoma, a little east of that intersection on 55th) has a lunch special - $10/hour in the middle of the day. Nice place.

Top Bottom