• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    My father and I got into a huge argument over wether Obama would try to seek a 3rd term or not in which I concluded he couldnt because of the 22nd amendment.

Now they are trying to take that away!

HJ 15 IH

113th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. J. RES. 15

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 4, 2013

Mr. SERRANO introduced the following joint resolution; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

JOINT RESOLUTION

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years after the date of its submission for ratification:

‘Article--
    ‘The twenty-second article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.’.

Full Text of H.J.Res. 15: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second ... - GovTrack.us

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    It was my understanding that they were trying to put more limits on the senate and house. Some of them are in there for thirty or so years. I always thought that they all should be limited to eight years.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    This isn't anything new. Rep Serrano has introduced this bill every two years since 1997. Steny Hoyer has done the same no less than 6 times, regardless who the president is.

Reps Barney Frank, David Dreier, Jerrold Nadler, Guy Vander Jagt, Martin Sabo, and Sen. Mitch McConnell have similarly introduced bills to repeal the 22nd Amendment. All have (obviously) failed.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it. :D

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Mr. Serrano is an idiot. He's been trying to do this for the past few years, he introduces it, goes to committee and dies. What's that diffinition of crazy, oh yea, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Sick of all o these politicians trying to change or alter the Constitution! It's worked for 200 + years, I think it has proven itself as a legitimate document!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I posted about this a month or so ago....I do believe that if each state had to take a vote...based on the election results that they could get the 38 states they need to to change the Constitution.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I actually thought the idea of term limits was silly before I moved to the US. Now I understand why they're in place; at least I think I do. If we had an educated populace that was willing to break away from a two-party system, I think term limits would be moot.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I posted about this a month or so ago....I do believe that if each state had to take a vote...based on the election results that they could get the 38 states they need to to change the Constitution.

There are 28 republican controlled state legislatures, 17 dem, and 5 split.

I doubt you could get 16 of the republican legislatures to vote for this. And that would assume you got 2/3rds of the republican controlled house to pass it to begin with.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I tend to agree that these Bills have little or no chance of succeeding. But the idiocy of one even being proposed is what scared the livin' crap out of me.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I say we have enough to deal with right now and over the next four years. No sense in worrying about this right now. Especially since its nothing new.

Worry about Obama's 2nd term before worrying about a third.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Two term limit is a great idea as many voters in this country never even look at the candidate just party affiliation. Jackasses with blinders on heading to the polls.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    How about trying a little research; here's what you'll find.....

There is not enough time to get it done for him (thank goodness); the process takes:
    (1) 2/3th approval by both House and Senate (or a constitutional convention called by 2/3ths of the states (34 states); and
    (2) must be ratified by 3/4ths of the states (38 states)

The numbers are not there, and the process takes a while.

-- Grizhicks

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Exactly!

I tend to agree that these Bills have little or no chance of succeeding. But the idiocy of one even being proposed is what scared the livin' crap out of me.

I try not to get too into these propositions. It is what they used to call 'treason'. When someone swears an oath to uphold the Constitution (a timeless document based on avoiding the shortcomings and greatest of travesties in human history), it would seem to me they are committing an act of treason. How the proposition is even made outright escapes me.

I have to say, the fact that we're not grabbing arms and knocking on their doors yet shows just how far diluted we have become.

Top Bottom