• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I found this to be an interesting article.
    I know two firearms I'd be taking bear hunting.
    Lever-action 45/70 Henry or Marlin, and a 10mm 1911, or one of the new proven reliable 10mm polymer pistols.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I don't buy the iron sights being faster than a red dot or LPVO set on low power. Also, a fast shot in low light at a dark animal sounds like a good way to end up with a wounded animal. That's not a shot I would be inclined to take unless the bear was a threat or already wounded.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    FPTfSQq.jpg

570grs of I hate attacking bears , this would be one of the few scenarios where I would honestly want a handgun bigger than 10mm depending on the type of bear.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't buy the iron sights being faster than a red dot or LPVO set on low power. Also, a fast shot in low light at a dark animal sounds like a good way to end up with a wounded animal. That's not a shot I would be inclined to take unless the bear was a threat or already wounded.
    I get what he's thinking and i also get what you are thinking.

I have for years wanted a peep rear sight or ghost ring rear sight for my pistols. I just think they would work great and help get on target faster.
    Question: is there anyone making such a rear sight for pistols? Ghost Ring I believe Col Cooper loved and I shot a 590a1 with one it was super easy to get on target and fast.
    Would that concept work for pistols?

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    About 10 years ago when my son worked in Fairbanks I went out there on a moose and bear hunt with him. We drove 2 hours north of Fairbanks and then rode 26 miles along the Alaskan pipeline to setup camp for seven days. We were right in the middle of big bear country, the first few nights I didn’t get much sleep thinking about a bear coming in through the tent. After a few days of that I said screw it if a bear is going to eat me so be it but I need some sleep.
    We had a great adventure I left Alaska with a lot of good memories but go bears or moose. We saw them but no shots.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I have a Marlin 1895 in .45-70. I picked it up on clearance at Wallyworld a few years back when they also had a rebate. I picked it up for around $250 if I remember correctly. It is a serious man cannon. I've held onto it for two reasons. 1. It is just a kick ass gun to shoot. (Literally!). and 2. The idea that I might one day hunt bear.

If I do it in Maine, where the forests are thick, I'm going with the iron sights. A guide told me shots are 50 yards or less.

Of course, I'd carry a Glock 20 with Underwood/Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators on the hip for any surprises at more of a social distance.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I can’t think of a single thing to say about bear hunting…..cause my mind is stuck on the two Double Rifles. Making me drool down my chin whiskers. Man those are nice.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

I have for years wanted a peep rear sight or ghost ring rear sight for my pistols. I just think they would work great and help get on target faster.
    Question: is there anyone making such a rear sight for pistols? Ghost Ring I believe Col Cooper loved and I shot a 590a1 with one it was super easy to get on target and fast.
    They do make ghost ring sights for pistol's. I have one, and its OK. Problem is, a on a pistol the front end jumps more than a long gun, so sometimes I lose the front sight behind the ring. It could probably be fixed with more practice with that particular pistol. Its on one of my G-19's that I just don't shoot much.

two70 is correct, Irons are not faster than a red dot in any situation. Personally I am just as fast with a LPVO as I am with a red dot, but some are not quite as fast with a LPVO as a red dot.

As far as the article, I've done bear hunting a few times and agree with most in it. I have no desire to bear hunt over a bait pile. To each there own, but its not my cup of tea. The type hunting I do (spot and stalk) bino's are the most important thing in your kit.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    They do make ghost ring sights for pistol's. I have one, and its OK. Problem is, a on a pistol the front end jumps more than a long gun, so sometimes I lose the front sight behind the ring. It could probably be fixed with more practice with that particular pistol. Its on one of my G-19's that I just don't shoot much.

two70 is correct, Irons are not faster than a red dot in any situation. Personally I am just as fast with a LPVO as I am with a red dot, but some are not quite as fast with a LPVO as a red dot.

As far as the article, I've done bear hunting a few times and agree with most in it. I have no desire to bear hunt over a bait pile. To each there own, but its not my cup of tea. The type hunting I do (spot and stalk) bino's are the most important thing in your kit.
    Thanks for answering. So basically you're going to have a learning curve with a Ghost Ring rear sight or a RDS.
    One plus for iron sights is they usually do not fail as in break, or need a battery. That is my thinking when it comes to a defensive handgun.
    I'm personally way faster with iron sights at self defense ranges than I am with a RDS. However, 25yds and out the RDS is defiantly faster and more accurate on a handgun for me. That's why I now have a RDS on my 44 magnum for deer hunting.
    I think an RDS or LPVO on a lever-action rifle would be very fast and definitely more accurate in a hunting or self defense situation. Works good on my AR's it should be good for any lever-action rifle.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks for answering. So basically you're going to have a learning curve with a Ghost Ring rear sight or a RDS.
    One plus for iron sights is they usually do not fail as in break, or need a battery. That is my thinking when it comes to a defensive handgun.
    I'm personally way faster with iron sights at self defense ranges than I am with a RDS. However, 25yds and out the RDS is defiantly faster and more accurate on a handgun for me. That's why I now have a RDS on my 44 magnum for deer hunting.
    I think an RDS or LPVO on a lever-action rifle would be very fast and definitely more accurate in a hunting or self defense situation. Works good on my AR's it should be good for any lever-action rifle.

Yep, there is a learning curve on a RDS or ghost rings sights on a pistol. There is little to no learning curve for an RDS on a rifle.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

I think there are two pistols that offer a ghost ring/peep rear sight option: the FK BRNO PSD and the Hipoint. I don't think it works all that well on pistols due to the greater distance from the eye. Leupold also has the Deltapoint micro red dot that kind of functions like a ghost ring.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    DS, are you planning a hunt? If so, are you thinking of Eastern US or somewhere you can find brown bears? I ask because it’s been a lifelong dream of mine. To hunt a brown bear that is.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    DS, are you planning a hunt? If so, are you thinking of Eastern US or somewhere you can find brown bears? I ask because it’s been a lifelong dream of mine. To hunt a brown bear that is.
    Not anytime soon.
    I'm like you I've always wanted to go brown bear hunting up on Kodiak Island if it's even possible to get a permit for one.
    I'd settle for a big black bear though.
    1654997860770.png

Top Bottom