• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    This reminded me of a time about 20yrs. ago. A friend of mine lived at the "Landings" apartments on N. Keystone Ave. The complex planted around fifty saplings all around the bay that is part of the White River. A few days after they finished planting the trees the beavers dropped about half of them. The quick thinking maintenance man came up with a plan to get rid of the beavers by shooting at them with a .22 rifle as they swam around in the bay. I don't think he killed any beavers but he learned why you don't shoot over water, and he sure did a number on the clubhouse across the bay. He shot out at least 1 window and a sliding glass door panel. There were also several holes in the exterior siding. There were never many people at the clubhouse so the damage wasn't noticed right away. It was rumored that the damage was caused by vandalism but my friend knew what really happened. Management got someone to trap and remove them after that incident. Eventually though, every tree they planted disappeared.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    rifle and a flashlight. We take our problem beavers at night mostly. When you hear him, and you will, flip the light and let him have it. But, chicken wire on the good trees will work great.
    +1. Hunt beaver after dark. (This is a serious answer.)

Some will say dynamite, but that's a whole other level.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Good luck eliminating them OP. It will be an ongoing battle. If you manage eradicate the current ones they will be replaced by more.

When they first appeared in our neighborhood my wife thought it was really neat...they are so cute. When they started cutting down ornamental trees in our yard they suddenly were not quite as cute anymore.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Thanks for the replies...might have to get out the yote gun....

I don't have a dam anywhere that I have seen...they're just falling trees....but my creek floods badly when we get heavy rains....so that might wash a dam away?

Now the question is....how do I hold a flashlight and a rifle at the same time?....I hate accessory rails.

God bless
    - Shred

I saw the jokes coming a mile away....thanks.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    If you can have a sit down between 10 am and 2 PM, you sometimes will see beavers active in the winter through spring during that daylight time.
    Have a rifle handy, you must be verryyy verrryyyy quiet.. If you hear that tail slap the water, go home and try again the next day.

AndrewG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2016
    Brownsburg
    Have the Mrs. hold and aim the flashlight while you hold and aim the gun. This worked for me when one of the devils went from the creek to my subs retention pond to my ornamental trees. .22 subsonics out of respect for my neighbors. The bugger now serves as a has for my buddy's kid.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Night vision goggles, wives helping to hold your tools, darn expensive? Now I have to explain to my wife why I am over here giggling as I am looking at my laptop.

I swear, INGO is getting me in a lot of trouble.

Thanks for the entertainment.
    ----
    GB!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you get a shot, aim for the head. You want a quick death. Anything less could result in an angry beaver, and every guy knows there's nothing worse than an angry beaver.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Best way to get them is baiting. Baiting works best at night between 11pm but no later than 3am. It will be a moving shot they don't actually consume the bait but like a cat to catnip paw at it and roll in it sorta of. Don't worry about getting night vision scope all you need is a black light source (the 12 volt kind for autos are cheap on eBay) the light tends to be invisible to beaver. There are several kinds of bait out there but the best by far and I mean fool proof is your # on the backside of a buddy's UAW pay stub. Now be sure to print your buddy's name above said # so it matches the front of stub as beaver might be gullible but they aint stupid. Best bait are the ones with 20 or so hrs of overtime. Take it from a former beaver hunter this is best and least energy consuming method out there. Oh and by the way that ringing / yapping noise you hear in the background also known as gunners ear will disappear once offending beaver is dispatched. Secret is that this can only be used at the bxaxr / dam when the beaver are new to area as said beaver become somewhat immune to baiting once they figure out they are targets. They become more labor intensive and more hard core methods are required on said beaver, not all but most. Thanks, taken from (Trapper J's Tips and Methods from the Indiana Frontier), Random House, first edition, 1815.

P.S.!!! What ever you do don't tell you wives of this technique as I learned first hand because they look at this as poaching, I'm still not allowed at a former trapping partners cabin and he was the one doing the " poaching ". Oh and dont worry about the CO's as they seem to have a truly gunine intrest in this method, the stright shooters anyway. Excuse me there's that yapping noise again! whats that honey? What am i doing? Mentoring some young trappers, what? I know im a helpful sort of fella that way, what? Love you too sweety! GOTTA GO!!!! OUCH, OUCH, OUCH!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom