• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdun67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indiana
    so i went out to my lake today, and i noticed 2 huge trees in my field. So i went closer and got to looking and noticed that every other tree around my lake has been chewed down! Crazy **** if you ask me. Then i noticed a HUGE dam.
    Anyway, i was wondering if i wanted to shoot these criters how long would i have to wait outside the dam to get a shot? Or even if i could?

Also was gonna say these beavers are OPEN game to any fellow INGO member who traps. Just PM me and we can talk. My land is located in SHELBYVILLE, so for all you guys out there who live close and trap, you should be in heaven! :rockwoot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You may sit there and shoot 3-4 the first time as long as you don't miss any. I'd use at least a 22 mag, 223 is even better. If you wound one and he get's away you'll have a heck of a time getting him again and he'll warn every one else to stay away when you are there.

17547a_beavers2332.jpg

rylosplanet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I trap beaver

I do a good bit of trapping in season. I wouldn't have a problem coming out to trap them for you. I just would need to know how far your place is. Either way, I wouldn't mind giving you a few tips on taking them out yourself, you just may have to get some equipment to do so. I've tried sitting out waiting to shoot beaver. FYI, you may be waiting a long time. Best thing if you want to shoot them is to have a good rifle next to the door with some loads nearby. If you are looking out the window and happen to see him working a bank, you'll be ready. Your rounds can ricochet off the water, so be mindful of homes nearby. I think you already have my contact info.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    At a friends pond we go at night, one with a rifle, one with a spot light. Wait for them to swim along.

works every time.

gdun67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indiana
    Well im going to shoot trap there tomorrow so ill sit around the lake for about a hour to see what comes along. And also ill try sitting around the lake with a spot light :rockwoot:
    Aaron, i tried calling you today. I would gladly let you trap there, but also i found you a AK.

THanks for the tips guys

gdun67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indiana
    Hahaa, nice video!

And already talked to the ob/gyn and she couldnt do anything about it.

On a serious note, is there anything beavers eat besides tress?!? Ill bait them suckers

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Well im going to shoot trap there tomorrow so ill sit around the lake for about a hour to see what comes along. And also ill try sitting around the lake with a spot light :rockwoot:
    Aaron, i tried calling you today. I would gladly let you trap there, but also i found you a AK.

THanks for the tips guys

Spot lights can come in handy but I wouldn't start right off using one.

I'd get on the highest bank so the sky light reflects off the water. Then you can get several of them before they ever know you are there or figure out where you are and how to stay away from you.

gdun67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah theirs actually a large hill about 20feet off the water right off the pond. So i could see that working on a night with no clouds. So just shoot them while their swimming in the water or while on land or what? And is there anything i can do with the fur this time of year?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yeah theirs actually a large hill about 20feet off the water right off the pond. So i could see that working on a night with no clouds. So just shoot them while their swimming in the water or while on land or what? And is there anything i can do with the fur this time of year?

That's what I do. I've killed hundreds and probably only shot one or two that were out of the water. A few muskrats die looking just like a beaver head swimming in the water but they need to go too.

I think the fur would still be OK since it's only been water a little. I'm not sure if the trapping season is still open or not. Generally when the season is open is when the fur is best.

I want to kill a nice one with my cap and ball revolver to get a hat made out of it.

Beaver Fur Hats @ Fur Hat World

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I bet if that guy had 3 other spots of tannerite along the dam it would have went. That was awesome though. Shame he couldn't direct the blasts to the sides...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    When I was a kid we would go to the quarry and buy some sticks and just blow the dam to hell and the blow the lodge and usually be done with the said problem. But, we do live a more civilized life now.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    If you honestly want to know whether it is legal then look on the Indiana DNR website and look up the laws. There is a trapping season for them. I guess if they are able to be treated like a coyote then go ahead and shoot otherwise look up the regs. if you want to be legal. Otherwise I know of at least one beaver that took a .40 S&W and then my guys could work in the pipe to clean the pipe out and do there work. A trapped beaver is not fun to climb into a 36" CMP pipe with. and there dams can be a real problem for drainage. Look at the Stars article on the fact that Beavers are causing the flooding on the interstate up around Gary.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Last I knew, any wild animal being a nusiance was open game at any time as long as it was on your property. A beaver dam is a nusiance. Sometimes. In this case it would appear to be so.

I'd LOVE to come help you clean out some pests! I think it would be fun to sit out waiting and watching for beavers then blasting them, cooking them, and then eating them! I've never had beaver meat so that would be a good experiance. (I'm mean that in all seriousness. My jokes were left in the other thread.)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you honestly want to know whether it is legal then look on the Indiana DNR website and look up the laws. There is a trapping season for them. I guess if they are able to be treated like a coyote then go ahead and shoot otherwise look up the regs. if you want to be legal. Otherwise I know of at least one beaver that took a .40 S&W and then my guys could work in the pipe to clean the pipe out and do there work. A trapped beaver is not fun to climb into a 36" CMP pipe with. and there dams can be a real problem for drainage. Look at the Stars article on the fact that Beavers are causing the flooding on the interstate up around Gary.

Looked it up, talked to about 4 different CO's, including one by the side of the road when he walked up on me after shooting one with a 223 in the full pitch black dark.

You can kill a beaver causing damage to your property any time of the day or night with any thing you want to with a spot light lazer or what ever you want to in season or out in the water or out of the water.

You can not dynamite or burn their dens. You can not shoot from the road. "from the road" means the entire right of way purchased by the state and most county roads never purchased any right of way so it is the edge of the pavement.

Only LEGAL requirement is to notify the local CO with in 24 hours, might be more than that, AFTER THE FACT OF KILLING IT. Most of them after the first call and explanation will tell you no need to bother again.

Top Bottom