• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • james.bryant88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Hello, everyone I just got out of the Marine Corps after 5 years of service and I am interested in becoming an NRA instructor. I have been around weapons most of my life and have a lot of advance training from my time in the Corps. What would your best advice be to start the process? I have just been hearing a lot of people ask about getting taught proper weapons handling and safety, as well as home defense and CCW. I would like to help these people and I want to have a wider knowledge base from what I already have. Thanks

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    I checked the NRA's website a few weeks ago for this very reason and I believe that there was a class coming up somewhere in IL sometime soon. It was relatively close to me (NWI) and it looked like they schedule them on a regular basis. It was a Basic Pistol instructors class IIRC.

Semper Fi

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Indy Gun Safety, in Fishers, has an NRA instructor's class coming up in April.
    Learn to shoot Indianapolis

At $225 for two days, it is very reasonable.

how does it work? after you complete this course you can teach...?

do we have to have any prior NRA courses?

I've been through various defensive courses, former Army instructor, and an NROI certified Range Officer.

Last edited:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    how does it work? after you complete this course you can teach...?

It's been a while since I went throught the process, but I believe the answer still is "yes," as soon as you get your credential card from the NRA. Suggest you confirm such with Indy Gun Safety. Give Randy a call. Nice guy.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm registered in some upcoming courses this weekend to provide civilian credentials for insurance purposes....I believe the process is as follows:

Basic instructor certification...............after this you must get additional certification in whichever type of firearms you wish to teach

pistol instructor certification
    rifle instructor certification

etc...etc

Sempi Fi!

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I went through this a few months back. I got it for an extremely cheap price (~$50) and couldn't pass it up. It's neat to say I'm an NRA certified instructor...but it was by far and away the worst class I've taken with firearms. The class was a joke, the curriculum that was taught to us was a joke, and the curriculum I would be required to use for teaching other students is a joke. The NRA cares almost zero about providing good training and almost 100% about covering their butt in case of lawsuits. Every student in my class passed with flying colors and is certified to teach the CCW class for Michigan residents...and yet I would feel very nervous being on the same firing line as half of the people in my class. I'm being honest about that, not in the least bit elitist.

If my experience is representative of all other curricula, anyone who has had a good experience in an NRA class should give their instructor a hearty handshake. For it was the quality of the instructor which made it worthwhile rather than the quality of the organization. I support their politics, but won't ever be caught in another NRA class, nor will I ever teach anyone from that set of guidelines. This is just my experience and I don't want to bash it anymore than this. If someone has questions, feel free to PM me. We can have a chat about it on the phone or something.

If you want to instruct, it's worth getting NRA certified because it gives instant rapport...like an instructor saying "I was a police officer for 25 years." Maybe that helps their instruction abilities, maybe it doesn't...but someone looking for an instructor will be more put at ease hearing it. By all means...develop your own training curriculum that will be of value to your students.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I went through this a few months back. I got it for an extremely cheap price (~$50) and couldn't pass it up. It's neat to say I'm an NRA certified instructor...but it was by far and away the worst class I've taken with firearms. The class was a joke, the curriculum that was taught to us was a joke, and the curriculum I would be required to use for teaching other students is a joke. The NRA cares almost zero about providing good training and almost 100% about covering their butt in case of lawsuits. Every student in my class passed with flying colors and is certified to teach the CCW class for Michigan residents...and yet I would feel very nervous being on the same firing line as half of the people in my class. I'm being honest about that, not in the least bit elitist.

If my experience is representative of all other curricula, anyone who has had a good experience in an NRA class should give their instructor a hearty handshake. For it was the quality of the instructor which made it worthwhile rather than the quality of the organization. I support their politics, but won't ever be caught in another NRA class, nor will I ever teach anyone from that set of guidelines. This is just my experience and I don't want to bash it anymore than this. If someone has questions, feel free to PM me. We can have a chat about it on the phone or something.

If you want to instruct, it's worth getting NRA certified because it gives instant rapport...like an instructor saying "I was a police officer for 25 years." Maybe that helps their instruction abilities, maybe it doesn't...but someone looking for an instructor will be more put at ease hearing it. By all means...develop your own training curriculum that will be of value to your students.

Well said, and AGREED....although I don't hold law enforcement training as being "top of the line" for any rapport either...........the only reason I'm getting the NRA certs is for that rapport and to obtain some insurance for other training plans

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Well said, and AGREED....although I don't hold law enforcement training as being "top of the line" for any rapport either...........the only reason I'm getting the NRA certs is for that rapport and to obtain some insurance for other training plans

Not sure that it will be worth your while. Part of the deal that is extremely strict is the fact that you cannot even state NRA Certified Instructor as one of your qualifications unless you are actually teaching an NRA certified class and curriculum. You cannot list yourself as such, then teach "TheKidd's Tactical Level 1". Something to think about before dropping the money. They take it seriously and will pull your cert if they find out. Just a heads up.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Not sure that it will be worth your while. Part of the deal that is extremely strict is the fact that you cannot even state NRA Certified Instructor as one of your qualifications unless you are actually teaching an NRA certified class and curriculum. You cannot list yourself as such, then teach "TheKidd's Tactical Level 1". Something to think about before dropping the money. They take it seriously and will pull your cert if they find out. Just a heads up.
    That's not important to me....it's not so much for insurance, it just helps with insurance....it's more for striking a deal with a manufacturer that only works with a "certified" individuals, but they could care less where that certification comes from.....that and like you said NRA is easily recognizable by people who have no firearms experience and since I welcome coaching people in those categories it's just a rapport thing like you said........................are there any other "firearms instructor certifications" in the area worth noting besides NRA???....I'm not fond of the NRA's certs either, but this one is really cheap and easy to get for my purposes

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

I would expect nothing less (or more, depending on how you look at it) from the NRA.

That's good to know. NRA courses where on my long list of things to look into. I won't waste my time.

JohnnyP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    South Bend
    Use of NRA Certified

You can state that you are an NRA Certified Instructor and can even put it on your certificate, for a course that is not NRA Certified. However, you must print on the certificate, that you issue to your students, that your course is not NRA Certified in the some font and size of course title. Ie

John's Awesome Pistol Course
    This Certifies that
    Joe Smith
    Has Completed the course requirements
    This is not a Certified NRA Course

NRA Certified Instructor
    John E. Pemberton

As far as the training aspect, I think you got a bad Instructor there are some good things that the NRA does have, Do I personally agree with everything the NRA teaches no, but it is a different philosophy. Once you get into the Protection in the Outside the Home Course and soon a Defensive Pistol Course should be coming out, you'll see some more advanced training. Is it the best that is out there, prob not. However, it is something that is recognized as standard throughout the U.S. (not to say other courses are not) and a good starting point for new instructors.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    You can state that you are an NRA Certified Instructor and can even put it on your certificate, for a course that is not NRA Certified. However, you must print on the certificate, that you issue to your students, that your course is not NRA Certified in the some font and size of course title. Ie

This Certifies that
    Joe Smith

NRA Certified Instructor
    John E. Pemberton

As far as the training aspect, I think you got a bad Instructor there are some good things that the NRA does have, Do I personally agree with everything the NRA teaches no, but it is a different philosophy. Once you get into the Protection in the Outside the Home Course and soon a Defensive Pistol Course should be coming out, you'll see some more advanced training. Is it the best that is out there, prob not. However, it is something that is recognized as standard throughout the U.S. (not to say other courses are not) and a good starting point for new instructors.

Well spoken!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I was lucky that I belonged to a club that had an NRA training counselor. I got the pistol, rifle and personal protection in the home (just PP at that time) and have maintained certification. I would like to add personal protection outside the home, anyone know of classes in Indiana on that certification?

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH

This Certifies that
    Joe Smith

NRA Certified Instructor
    John E. Pemberton

Thanks for the clarification. This wasn't the way it was pitched to us. It still seems silly to have to make it so obvious, but they get to make the rules I guess. I still stand by the poor quality of my class, instructors, and material. As I said, I'm sure its possible to teach a good NRA class, but only if the instructor is highly skilled because the material won't help them along much.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN

This is absolutely false. An instructor may in fact state that they are an NRA instructor for credibility purposes, as long as they also make clear that the course IS NOT an NRA course.

Perhaps you should complain to the NRA about the poor quality course you took. That's the only way courses can be approved. Did you fill out the evaluation honestly? The evaluation is on the same page as the instructor application so you have to complete it. If you did so I assure you the Training Counselor that taught your course was contacted. $50 barley covers the course materials required for 2 days of instruction. You get what you pay for I guess. :twocents:

I only have one slot left in my April 7 & 8 course for anyone interested.

It is suggested but not required that you take the NRA Basic Pistol Course BEFORE the instructor course so you can see how the entire course is presented.

JohnnyP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    South Bend
    NRA

Thanks for the clarification. This wasn't the way it was pitched to us. It still seems silly to have to make it so obvious, but they get to make the rules I guess. I still stand by the poor quality of my class, instructors, and material. As I said, I'm sure its possible to teach a good NRA class, but only if the instructor is highly skilled because the material won't help them along much.

I think it is important for a NRA instructor to continue to seek out training outside the NRA as well. Just because your an NRA Instructor it doesn't mean you have all the answers. It's instructors who get the certification and don't continue to improve themselves by seeking other training that give the program a bad name. To me the NRA programs are great for new shooters as well as a stepping stone for those seeking to teach firearms training.

For advance shooters these program may seem sub par, however for new shooters they are designed to take them through, one program at a time to advance them in a slow process (which some people need). I have had students in my NRA Basic Pistol Course tell me that some of the things taught were to advanced, so it really depends on the shooter.

But once again I would not stop with the NRA programs, I would seek out other training program as well as instructors. Even the NRA wants this,to become an instructor for the NRA Defensive Pistol Course coming out, they want you to have outside training as well, such as Gunsite, etc...

Each shooting program offers a different prospective, whether it is the NRA or other notable programs in self-defense and firearms training. Some good, other not so much. Each instructor brings with them their own experience as well. So don't get stuck with just one instructor, even a bad instructor can teach you something.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Perhaps you should complain to the NRA about the poor quality course you took. That's the only way courses can be approved. Did you fill out the evaluation honestly? The evaluation is on the same page as the instructor application so you have to complete it. If you did so I assure you the Training Counselor that taught your course was contacted. $50 barley covers the course materials required for 2 days of instruction. You get what you pay for I guess. :twocents:

I did fill out the evaluation honestly. I knew it was bad, but it wasn't until I sort of digested the material of the next month or so that I realized how truly horrible it was. I'm glad you and johnny have clarified the certification point as it's obvious I didn't get the facts correct. I don't want anything here to be dishonest about NRA instructors / instruction...I was just explaining my experience. There are quite a few NRA instructing organizations here on INGO which have had great reviews...and I'm always happy to hear about people getting instruction that they are pleased with.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I only have one slot left in my April 7 & 8 course for anyone interested.

I am very interested and even got "wife approved" to come up there for the weekend, but won't have funds for a couple of weeks.

Let me know if a slot comes free, I'll be checking to see if it gets filled.

Do you know when you plan to hold another Instructor's course?

Top Bottom