• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    This is absolutely false. An instructor may in fact state that they are an NRA instructor for credibility purposes, as long as they also make clear that the course IS NOT an NRA course.

Perhaps you should complain to the NRA about the poor quality course you took. That's the only way courses can be approved. Did you fill out the evaluation honestly? The evaluation is on the same page as the instructor application so you have to complete it. If you did so I assure you the Training Counselor that taught your course was contacted. $50 barley covers the course materials required for 2 days of instruction. You get what you pay for I guess. :twocents:

I only have one slot left in my April 7 & 8 course for anyone interested.

It is suggested but not required that you take the NRA Basic Pistol Course BEFORE the instructor course so you can see how the entire course is presented.

:yesway:

Glad to see an Indy-area NRA TC advertising and conducting good NRA Instructor courses at reasonable prices. Keep up the great work!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I see that you have mentioned the updated NRA defensive pistol curriculum. Any idea what the timeline and process is for obtaining this certification?

As far as basic pistol, overall it is a good course. There are a few things I would like to see added. It is a good class to introduce people to handguns. Since my goal is to work with new shooters and to help some friends who are law enforcement instructors the NRA certification was a good starting point.

You can state that you are an NRA Certified Instructor and can even put it on your certificate, for a course that is not NRA Certified. However, you must print on the certificate, that you issue to your students, that your course is not NRA Certified in the some font and size of course title. Ie

John's Awesome Pistol Course
    This Certifies that
    Joe Smith
    Has Completed the course requirements
    This is not a Certified NRA Course

NRA Certified Instructor
    John E. Pemberton

As far as the training aspect, I think you got a bad Instructor there are some good things that the NRA does have, Do I personally agree with everything the NRA teaches no, but it is a different philosophy. Once you get into the Protection in the Outside the Home Course and soon a Defensive Pistol Course should be coming out, you'll see some more advanced training. Is it the best that is out there, prob not. However, it is something that is recognized as standard throughout the U.S. (not to say other courses are not) and a good starting point for new instructors.

JohnnyP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    South Bend
    Defensive Pistol Course

The only info that I have seen on it, that is the reliable, is on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/NRA-Instructors/148496441865595

You'll have to scroll down a bit to find the information on it. Most of the other information has been rumor. So we'll have to wait to get all the info. There could be other info on it but I couldn't tell you were to find it at this time.

Edit-

This is from the Facebook page:

For those of you who missed it, or are too busy to search this page for information on Defensive Pistol Course, as suggested below: Thank you for your inquiry. We are creating an advanced level instructor. These instructors will be authorized to conduct the course. Now that field testing is complete, we will roll the course and credentialing procedures out. A core requirement to apply for Advanced Pistol Instructor will be to hold the PPOTH instructor rating. On top of that, Advanced instructors will need to have additional advanced level firearm training, such as Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, and such. NRA LE Instructor certification is a plus. There will be no instructor course for this rating. It will be by resume (bio), application, interview process. We want to keep the community small, and ensure only top notch trainers are certified to teach this course, as it will be presented in a much different manner than our current courses. It will be range intensive, and require a qualification shoot to earn a certificate by students that attend it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I think it is important for a NRA instructor to continue to seek out training outside the NRA as well. Just because your an NRA Instructor it doesn't mean you have all the answers. It's instructors who get the certification and don't continue to improve themselves by seeking other training that give the program a bad name. To me the NRA programs are great for new shooters as well as a stepping stone for those seeking to teach firearms training.

For advance shooters these program may seem sub par, however for new shooters they are designed to take them through, one program at a time to advance them in a slow process (which some people need). I have had students in my NRA Basic Pistol Course tell me that some of the things taught were to advanced, so it really depends on the shooter.

But once again I would not stop with the NRA programs, I would seek out other training program as well as instructors. Even the NRA wants this,to become an instructor for the NRA Defensive Pistol Course coming out, they want you to have outside training as well, such as Gunsite, etc...

Each shooting program offers a different prospective, whether it is the NRA or other notable programs in self-defense and firearms training. Some good, other not so much. Each instructor brings with them their own experience as well. So don't get stuck with just one instructor, even a bad instructor can teach you something.

Very well stated. It's been said before, but you must understand that these are BASIC courses unless otherwise stated.
    The "Basic pistol course" for example is designed for new shooters and firearm rookies. It is simplified to try to include as much of the public as possible.

Yes, I found myself a little bored at times during the course, but I listened to the questions from the rest of the class and tried to remember when I was asking those same questions.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I agree with what was already mentioned to jdhaines in reference to having a bad instructor and hope that it was reflected in the evaluation.

I received my NRA certifications last year at a National Scout Camp. I assist with a Venturing Crew and teach shooting sports. Ended up having to sell my Glock 24 to pay for the course since the coucil would not pay for me to attend.

Spent 9 days in a tent getting certifications in pistol, rifle, shotgun and muzzleloader. We started at 7 a.m. and went till 10 or 11 p.m. some days. Everything had to be precise cause we are to be working with teenagers and teaching the next generation of shooters. Was rough training but well worth it in the end.

I had decades of firearm experience (Civilian and Military) prior to taking the course but still learned quite a bit. I would highly suggest taking the course but if you experience a bad instructor, then report it.

Good luck and hope the negative comments do not sway your opinion towards the NRA as a whole. There are always a group of bad apples out there. :twocents:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Very well stated. It's been said before, but you must understand that these are BASIC courses unless otherwise stated.
    The "Basic pistol course" for example is designed for new shooters and firearm rookies. It is simplified to try to include as much of the public as possible.

Yes, I found myself a little bored at times during the course, but I listened to the questions from the rest of the class and tried to remember when I was asking those same questions.

Yes, BASIC. But you bring of two very good points.

1) A large cross section of people can attend and enjoy one of these courses. If nothing else they learn safety, terminology and fundamental marksmanship skills that will allow them to advance to the next level.
    2) A good mix of people will result in good questions from the class. If the fundamentals are sound it is a good opportunity for a small amount of additional discussion.

(For instance NRA Basic Pistol will tell you to wait 30 seconds and keep the gun pointed down range if the gun fails to fire. But after that amount of time the student will do a tap, rack, roll, assess. So in effect you are teaching a transferable fundamental.)

Top Bottom