• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    Whats the process of becoming a certified NRA instructor?

Im sure this has been discussed on this forum before. If someone would link me to a thread that would be great.

Thanks!

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I had no idea either...so I googled it.

Education and Training|Become a NRA Instructor

To qualify as an NRA Instructor:

• Candidates must possess and demonstrate a solid background in firearm safety and shooting skills acquired through previous firearm training and/or previous shooting experience. Instructor candidates must be intimately familiar with each action type in the discipline they wish to be certified.
    • Candidates will be required to demonstrate solid and safe firearms handling skills required to be successful during an instructor training course by completing pre-course questionnaires and qualification exercises administered by the NRA Appointed Training Counselor.
    • Candidates must satisfactorily complete an NRA Instructor Training Course in the discipline they wish to teach (e.g., NRA Basic Pistol Course), and receive the endorsement of the NRA Training Counselor conducting that training.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    NRA instructor here. Only certified in a single discipline currently though - basic pistol. I intend to add a few more next year.

NRAinstructors.org will tell you most of what you need to know.

I took both the 'NRA Basic Pistol' and 'NRA Basic Pistol Instructor' certifications at Indy Gun Safety (http://www.indygunsafety.com/). I would highly recommend them as they are an excellent training organization focusing on actually educating their students rather than churning out certificates for money. Randy is a great training counselor.

At Indy Gun Safety The instructor course was 20 hours long, 10 hours Saturday and 10 hours Sunday. It is challenging but if you apply yourself you will pass. The Basic Pistol course itself, which I would recommend taking before you take the instructor course, is 8 hours long.

Make sure you can do the requisite shooting - 16 of 20 rounds in a 6" circle at 15 yards. A surprising amount of people from my class couldn't do this, despite the fact that they knew they would have to do it....and had ample time to practice before the course. This basically demonstrates that you can apply the pistol shooting fundamentals you will be teaching.

The NRA really pushes this curriculum being for people who wish to pursue commercial instructing as a profession, going so far as to provide budgeting exercises in the course for running training courses...or a business. I thought this part was a silly waste of time personally, budgeting isn't difficult and anyone that wants to conduct business should already understand budgeting and basic math.

Finally, keep in mind it's all about knowledge, skills, and attitude.

Last edited:

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    I was able to get certified through the Crossroads of America Boy Scout Council. BSA requires that the merit badge counselors be certified trainers by the NRA to be merit badge counselors for the rifle and shotgun merit badges. In addition to the rifle and shotgun training certs I also certified in pistol and as a range safety officer.

Top Bottom