• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My wife had landscapers out yesterday to put down mulch and weed the flower beds around the house. They cut back some of the larger plants and I just discovered a ground nest. They're smaller than honey bees but I'd like to properly ID them before I go buy something to nuke them out of existence. I thought maybe yellow jackets but I always thought they were larger like a wasp. Anyone know?
    IMG_1247_zps94f97e93.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Last edited:

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    Yellow Jackets for sure, nasty sting from them as they attack in a group, nest usually is underground and night time is the best for spraying then with killer or a half cup of gas down the hole will do the job.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I believe you guys are right. After looking around online I believe they are yellow jackets, I always thought they were larger. I've been pretty close to the nest and they haven't stung me but I'll be picking something up to deal with them this afternoon.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Yellow Jackets for sure! And they can sting multiple times. Use wasp and hornet spray and get rid of those suckers.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I had the same thing next to the foundation to my house. I got rid of them with a lighter and can of wd-40. Sat there for about 20 minutes blowtorching them until no more. Dug about a 2 foot hole and never found the nest. Haven't had a nest there since.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    when you find the nest, dust the area around the opening with Sevin dust. they track that stuff deep into the nest and it kills them all. Its also best done around dusk so you dont have to worry about them.

ALso, it wont be immediate. it will take a day or two of them tracking the stuff into the nest. It worked for mine.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The sister of an old GF of mine just was sent to the hospital unconscious with anaphylaxis from multiple yellow jacket stings. She'd never previously reacted and they only got her about half a dozen times.

The good news is that if you don't die or suffer brain damage from your airway shutting off, recovery is usually pretty complete and relatively (1-2 days) quick.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I got stung 10-15 times by these little bastages about 30 years ago......and obviously I still remember it. I was mowing and rolled a telephone pole over to mow along it, hit the nest and started getting stung, like a fool I stopped to figure it out, didn't take long and I figured out they were coming out of the mower deck.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I believe you guys are right. After looking around online I believe they are yellow jackets, I always thought they were larger. I've been pretty close to the nest and they haven't stung me but I'll be picking something up to deal with them this afternoon.

They're just now becoming active. In the next couple of weeks they will start getting aggressive. Kill them. Kill them now.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The dust trick works very well but requires some patience, hard if you've just been gang stung by them. Like Cameramonkey says go out at night and spray the dust in and directly around the hole, takes a few days but it a sure kill.
    Watch for the big ones in the spring, those are the lone queens starting out, every one you kill is one less hive to deal with later.:)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've conducted several sneak attacks and emptied most of a large can of killer on the nest. I don't know how effective it'll be but it's been pleasurable. They didn't have the dust at the store when I went for dinner supplies, I'll find some tomorrow and finish it off.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I had the same thing next to the foundation to my house. I got rid of them with a lighter and can of wd-40. Sat there for about 20 minutes blowtorching them until no more. Dug about a 2 foot hole and never found the nest. Haven't had a nest there since.
    That's awesome!

Top Bottom