Beef Jerky with a box fan and air filters???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Alton Brown, host of Good Eats, uses that method to make beef jerky and dried herbs. I've never done it but the science behind it is sound. Commercial food dehydrators cook the food more than dry it out.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I have my original Ronco food dehydrator that I bought, close to 20 years ago. I would imagine it has dried nearly a ton of assorted jerky, and two or three times that amount of fruits and veggies. The air filter thing looks pretty cool...you can buy a box fan for about $15 at Walmart, and a couple of filters for $8 or $9...or you can buy food dehydrators of the round plastic variety at Big Lots and Wallyworld for about 20 clams or less.

Are the filter fibers edible? Aren't some of them made with fiberglass?

I'll stick with my Ronco...now where did I put that "Hair in a Can" spray...

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    YES!! I have done this a couple of times. I followed Alton's recipe and directions. Delicious and it did keep for a couple of weeks (i'm sure it would have kept longer, but I ate it all.) A few suggestions...he suggests in a later episode to source "silicone dehydrator shelf liners" to keep the meat directly off of the filter. I couldn't find any cellulose filters, so I did end up using fiberglass filters, consequently I spent a bit of time afterwards picking fibers off of the jerky. PIA job if you can avoid it. The liners would have prevented this no matter which filter you used. My other suggestion is to trim the meat of all the fat you can. After the drying, any chunks of fat have a rather unpleasant texture in the mouth.
    He does talk about how this process doesn't use any heat, so you don't get any of the "cooked" flavors in the meat and it does have a different, and quite excellent flavor and texture from any hot-dried jerky. Enjoy

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Kroger has 3.25 oz bags of jerky on sale for $3.50...I saw them at lunch and I have already scarfed mine. The Pepper Jerky is HOT.

Lowes has the cellulose air filters.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm gonna try it tonight/tomorrow. I'll post pics and review when done. Anybody have a decent tasted and tested recipes? If not I'll just use the one from my first post.

ITS JERKY TIME!!! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom