• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have not seen them around and the new ones are hard to score. Stopped in a local gun store and they had 3! A brand new 24”. A post 64 pre mid 70’s and a post mid 70’s 20”. I picked up the post mid 70’s one. It is a 1980. Of course the sintered metal receiver so has the typical failing finish but not too bad but I will take care of that at some point.

IMG_0717.jpeg

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I have not seen them around and the new ones are hard to score. Stopped in a local gun store and they had 3! A brand new 24”. A post 64 pre mid 70’s and a post mid 70’s 20”. I picked up the post mid 70’s one. It is a 1980. Of course the sintered metal receiver so has the typical failing finish but not too bad but I will take care of that at some point.

View attachment 337178
    Thought I recently saw several in the classies for sale, all from the same seller, looked like a collection. Probably still some left. :dunno:

edit, ok reread your post, looks like your search ended with your posting.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thought I recently saw several in the classies for sale, all from the same seller, looked like a collection. Probably still some left. :dunno:

edit, ok reread your post, looks like your search ended with your posting.
    I didn’t want to pay the prices I have seen and picked this one up for a decent price. Would love a nice pre 64 but more than I want to pay.

Reactions: Mij

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Very nice! Buddy back in college had one of those that he traded away on something at the LGS for $200. He offered it to me at that price, but I didn't have the money. Still hurts a little to think about that one!

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy

View attachment 337178
    Mind if I ask which LGS?

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Great rifles. It was the very first gun I ever bought with my own money. 170 dollars new in 1986. I was 16 so my mom had to pay for it. I have killed a small herd of deer with it over the years. The absolute last gun I would ever part with.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Mind if I ask which LGS?
    Beech Grove Firearms. The post 64 pre mid 70’s 20” with the stamped lifter and sintered receiver was around $1,000 and the new 24” was $1,300+. The one I picked up has a cast lifter and was much less so why I am happy. I think around 83 Winchester went back to milled receivers due to finish complaints and the advent of CNC technology making it cheaper. The receivers between 64 and 83 do not hold blueing well. The very early post 64 were not steel plated so are harder to re-blue. The plated ones if not worn off can be salt blued (saw a guy on YouTube do that). Many just CeraKote them. The new ones now have a tang safety instead of the cross bolt safety. I forget when they started the cross bolt safety.

I don’t think there is much difference in the way they shoot no matter which one you get. The only complaints I have heard are the receiver finish on the sintered receiver and the stamped lifter being weak but there is a replacement for that for about $80.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Great rifles. It was the very first gun I ever bought with my own money. 170 dollars new in 1986. I was 16 so my mom had to pay for it. I have killed a small herd of deer with it over the years. The absolute last gun I would ever part with.
    Favorite gun for deer hunting. Light, easy to maneuver in tight spots, and effective!

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Beech Grove Firearms. The post 64 pre mid 70’s 20” with the stamped lifter and sintered receiver was around $1,000 and the new 24” was $1,300+. The one I picked up has a cast lifter and was much less so why I am happy. I think around 83 Winchester went back to milled receivers due to finish complaints and the advent of CNC technology making it cheaper. The receivers between 64 and 83 do not hold blueing well. The very early post 64 were not steel plated so are harder to re-blue. The plated ones if not worn off can be salt blued (saw a guy on YouTube do that). Many just CeraKote them. The new ones now have a tang safety instead of the cross bolt safety. I forget when they started the cross bolt safety.

I don’t think there is much difference in the way they shoot no matter which one you get. The only complaints I have heard are the receiver finish on the sintered receiver and the stamped lifter being weak but there is a replacement for that for about $80.
    Thanks. I asked because I was at Indy Gun Bunker late yesterday and saw they had 2 Win 94's in 30-30, but I felt they were way over-priced

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have become sort of a Winny 94 addict myself. There are worst things I guess? I currently have in my Winney 94 collection a (lettered) 1942, a 1962 (same year I was born), a Winney 94XTR, A Winney 94 Trails end in 45LC and 44 Rem Mag both w/octagon barrels. As I have read/researched. The "Trails End" were among the last rifles to come out of the Winchester plant? Winchester 94's are just iconic. Enjoy yours.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

View attachment 337178

You're going to like it!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Ya gotta love the classic Winchester 94 in .30-30! I love mine. That gun has probably taken so many whitetails over the past century + than anyone can count.
    Enjoy that new gun! :ar15:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

View attachment 337178

One thing I never understood is how the 9422's escaped the metallurgy problems of the 94's. The XTR series 9422's from '78-88 have the prettiest polished blueing I've ever seen on a lever gun, in my limited experience. Extremely robust finishes. I wonder if they were done in a different plant or factory than the 94's?

I hope you enjoy your 94!

Since we all like pics, here's a couple of my 9422's, a '78 and and '88, both in 22 mag. The Nikon Pro-staffs were the best I could afford at the time. Some don't care for scopes on levers, and I get it, but I can't hit what I can't see. I've got no complaints:

P1080649.JPG

Top Bottom