• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I've had a swarm of a little larger than honey bee sized critters hanging around the bottom of my vinyl siding of my house for about 3 weeks. Pictures I've seen on the web indicate they may be Carpenter Bees since they have a black back. I have been spraying Raid wasp and hornet insecticide around the area in which they congregate, 4 cans too no avail. I have yet to be stung, so that, to me would indiacate male carpenter bees..... Anybody know how to un professionately get rid of the things before they take my house down. and not burning my house down. Which would really Pi$$ off my insurance guy.

Anyone???

Thanks

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I tried a couple of "Raid" cans on them then called exterminator. Saw that I was not winning and decided my house was more important than a few $$'s.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Just call an exterminator. Get quotes and go with the best deal. These infestations aren't worth the time you'd spend trying to DIY. Some things are best left to the pros.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    thanks guys...got a call into orkin...Everything I read says I'd have burn the house down to get rid of them

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also posted on the other bee thread...

I swear by these, they work. Look carefully and you can make your own with two used water bottles and a scrap board in about 5 minutes. I catch at least two every spring and never have any problems with them. (you only catch the females, so you stop the offspring)

Carpenter Bee Trap - Pestmall

The female sees the hole and thinks its a place to lay eggs. she gets into the hole and drops down into the bottle. She spends the rest of her life trying to fly through the clear plastic.

ETA: my mom had them SWARMING Dad's workshop that he didnt finish before he passed away, as well as my late Grandmother's empty house next door. I put up three of those traps (two on the shop, one at Grandma's) with DOZENS of them flying around the flowers and many checking ME out as I worked. Within two years I would only see them periodically. Mom HAD an infestation.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I made this from plans on YouTube. I posted this on another thread about carpenter bees. You do want to handle carpenter bees as an urgent problem. They can do a lot of damage that you can't readily see and the offspring return to their place of birth.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Made one of them wood house traps as well. Works great. The few left that wouldn't go into the trap, I just took a tennis racket to knock them down and just stepped on them... No more carpenter bees in my yard barn..

Top Bottom