• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    Some of us just come out to shoot. Where else can you go and get a setup like this to shoot at? Ill worry about being competitive later once its my equipment holding me back. I have less than 30 in my Ar magazine carrier and shell carrier combined. I think I had just as much fun as anyone else out there.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well that's all new prices too. The used market is your friend. Belts and shell caddies don't come up very often. But a serviceable AR and Glock come up all the time. You can play for much less than 3400.

Has anyone mentioned borrowing yet? Pistols are harder to do. But there have been several times that I've let someone use my rifle and shotgun. If someone wants to try it out, I'd be more than happy to share these through a match.

I just won't share my ammo! :D

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    Most matches, including Indiana Multigun, are moving to a 100 Sec Time Limit for each stage(unless other wise noted). Shotgun is the slowest part of multigun, the top shooters can load 1 shell per second, maybe slightly faster. A good 8rd reload can be done by the top guys in 6-7 seconds. The only way to get faster is the open guys with speed loaders or those darn Box mag shotguns.....

Keep that in mind when thinking of what to use to carry shells in.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I dont want anyone to get scared off by equipment costs. Most people already have three guns that can at least keep up and maybe even do quite well.

My observation is that a lot of us are more like 2.5 gun shooters than 3-gun anyway. By that I mean we focus more on two guns and the third gets left out. With most, that means shotgun. I'd venture to guess that the shotgun gets the least attention in both practice and money expenditure.

I am guessing the average 3-gunner uses a pistol they shoot other matches with, so there is no added expense there.
    Most use a rifle they already have for home defense or play, and anything good for that is usually at least competitive in 3-gun. Maybe the magazine carry mode gets changed. Maybe not even that.
    With shotgun, its almost an afterthought for many of us. They bring what they have and use it the best they can.

Thats the typical 3-gunner from first-timer up to maybe mid-level local guy. You can show up to your first match equipped with guns like that, and a big belt pouch that carries rifle mags and shotgun shells mixed in a mess and get by. I doubt you'll win, but I doubt you'll finish last either.
    Add a rifle mag pouch or two, and maybe three shell caddies, and you are set for a while.

Of course, this all changes as they move up. The long guns start to get fairly specialized towards the top. But for starters, the average person uses the pistol they use for IPSC or IDPA, the AR everybody has, and the shotgun they hunted birds with 15 years ago.

You might spend more later and you might not.
    You sure can, but you don't have to.

bsmant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    I'm planning to attend a few matches this year. From a gun standpoint, I'm pretty much doing what Barry said. My pistol is the G21 I shoot for IDPA, the rifle will be my RRA heavy barrel carbine, and my shotgun will be an old 870 Wingmaster. None are particularly well suited for 3-gun, but it's a start.

For carrying mags and shells, I'm using pretty standard Blade-tech double mag carriers, both for pistol and rifle mags. For the shotgun, I have one AP Custom 4x4 shell holder. if I need more than 8 extras for a stage, they will have to come from pockets for now, again, it's a start.

I have been shooting IDPA and other competitions for a few years. The key is to just get out there and compete. The important thing is to be safe and have fun. The rest of the stuff comes with time.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    My observation is that a lot of us are more like 2.5 gun shooters than 3-gun anyway. By that I mean we focus more on two guns and the third gets left out. With most, that means shotgun. I'd venture to guess that the shotgun gets the least attention in both practice and money expenditure.

I'm more like a 1 gun guy. But I haven't figured out which one. Usually it's one I left at home that day!!

Top Bottom